PDA

View Full Version : First Time Goose Hunting

FrontSight
July 24, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hi,

Gonna go on my first official Canada Geese hunt in Long Island, NY this coming Sept. Now, I've been hunting plenty of times, ever since I was a kid, but never specifically for geese before. :o

Can anyone tell me, how much lead do you need at, say, 25 yards, up to 50 yards? I'll be using one of the hevi-shot or high density loads, 12 guage, 3.5 inch, size 2 shot.

Another noob question: How do they taste? Gamey, tough, etc?

Thanks!

Scorch
July 24, 2006, 03:46 PM
If you are shooting over decoys, hardly any lead is needed, just remember to hold into the wind. For pass shooting, hold about 2 feet ahead at 25 yds, about 4 ft at 50 yds (roughly one body length in front of the HEAD). Canadas eat grass and grain, so they tend to taste very "meaty". They are one of the best tasting game birds. No muddy or fishy taste, and not as strong as ducks.

banditt007
July 24, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey i live on long island and i just 'hunted' one today with a lexus :eek: dam things are everywhere. you can walk up to them with a baseball bat and harvest all you need.

Please bag your limit!!!! these things are like pigeons are to NYC.

Welcome to Long Island, where exactly will you be hunting?

mete
July 25, 2006, 07:12 AM
Make sure you pattern you load .My goose load gives an extra extra full pattern with BB steel in my Benelli with a MOD choke !!! Canada geese will taste fine IF you take care of them quickly. Here in Sullivan Co with the early Sept season the warm temperatures can make them "gamey" if you don't dress them out quickly.

remjeep75
July 25, 2006, 10:22 AM
for geese here i use 3.5 bb. it works well. i give geese away, i feel that they taste horrible

FrontSight
July 25, 2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys...I live in the bronx, and will be hunting somewhere about an hour and a half from the bridges (throgs neck/whitestone).

I have a benelli sbe ii that i picked up not too long ago, will definitely pattern it now, thanks for the tips!

boyera
September 21, 2006, 09:27 AM
they taste the best if they are freshly cooked.
cut the breast out and rinse them off good.
then cut the breast into 3/4-1in chunks.
wrap the chunks in bacon.
throw them on the grill for a while and enjoy. you can throw seasoning on them if u want.
the main thing is dont over cook them.
you want them done medium.

you can also deepfry them.
cut them however u want, cover im breading and deep fry them.

the grill is better but i think but they taste good either way.

have a good huntin season :cool:

youp
September 21, 2006, 06:54 PM
For the best tasting goose you need to look at the tail feathers. If you look close at the end of the feather you will see where the feather shaft ends. A young of the year goose is the beat table fare. A young of the year goose will have a slight 'V' at the end of the feather. An older goose will have a completely filled out and round tail feather.

A young goose will not taste good if you do not take care of the meat. Draw the innards from it and ice it as soon as possible. This will ensure the best table fare from any game bird. Animals, too for that matter.

BrianBM
September 23, 2006, 09:00 PM
If you have a formation of geese coming in, I take it that the young ones would be at the end of the formation? Somehow, I don't think you get to inspect the feathers in advance.

FrontSight
September 25, 2006, 11:47 AM
Sorry, I should have posted this thread here instead to let you guys know how it went:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221347

It was a great time, and they tasted delicious!