PDA

View Full Version : Dove hunting in Central California

Ranger Al
July 16, 2006, 11:53 PM
This is a long shot.... Any body have a property in Central California where I buddy and I could hunt dove? We are located in Fresno and willing to drive a few miles (100+). I know how tough it is to find a place and we will leave the place as we found it. I'd like to meet you first and ask to have permission slip to be fill out. I've been to the state sponsor hunt, they are like zoo of people!

Thanks,

Ranger Al

tube_ee
July 17, 2006, 01:47 AM
There's plenty of free public land around Fresno to hunt. Head out and scout around. My Dad and brother and I go there every year. I've never limited yet, but that's more due to my shooting than a lack of birds. Shoot the pigeons, too, they're grain fed and quite tasty.

Have a good Sept. 1st.

--Shannon

Ranger Al
July 17, 2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the pointer, Shannon. I just don't want to go in some body property and start shooting. I've never though of shooting pigeon, always though they belong to someone. I know that they feed on only grain and should be very good eating.

Is the place where you go have load of people? I've been to Mendota, Huron, as well as Tranquillity and it is like war zone! I just want to stay away from those stray leads..

Ranger Al

tube_ee
July 24, 2006, 10:15 PM
It's near Mendota, but not at the State Wildlife Area. As I don't have permission from the rest of the party, I won't say exactly where. It's not a war zone, by any stretch, although we can certainly hear the anti-aircraft fire...

Get out and scout around, if it's some farmer's field, it's a no-go, but check the approach and departure areas.

--Shannon

hippo
July 28, 2006, 06:46 PM
Ranger Al -- I have a stupid question. I heard somewhere that dove hunting was going to be outlawed in CA. Did the movement fail or was someone pulling my leg?

arthurrh
July 31, 2006, 02:42 PM
I think probably someone was pulling your leg. Dove hunting is definitely legal in CA. Or maybe someone confused it with the movement to try and outlaw using pigeons for dog training, but in any case that never happened either.

Ranger Al
August 7, 2006, 10:27 PM
Still legal, until the Dumocrate have their ways..... Sorry, I don't like Fienstien and Boxer they are not NRA friendly..

Ranger Al
September 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
I bought a dozen decoys from e-bay and wonders if anyone ever use it and does it really attract the bird to you???? I'll have to wait till the second weekend of Nov to try it out...