PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe JAMMED! Any Suggestions?

Little Wolf
July 5, 2006, 11:28 PM
This is worse than having the pull tab break off on your can of dessert pudding! I recently moved, and being that I have to move my guns in their safe, I made sure to pack the inside full and tight with lots of newspaper to cushion the guns and prevent them from banging around. When I was done with my packing job I made sure that my safe would open with the door closed. It did.....at least, that was until I moved the safe!

Once the safe was moved, and "safe" inside my new dwelling I tried to insert the key to open my prize. The bolt wouldn't budge, it would wiggle a bit, but it would not move more than that! I tried everything, banging on the safe, moving and tilting it around while trying to turn the key, trying to slide a thin object through the crack of the door and unhinge the bolt, NOTHING has worked!

Just so you know what I am dealing with here, this is one of those cheap $90 green stack-on gun safes that hold 8 longguns (the kind you can get from Dicks or Walmart). I REALLY need to get this sucker open so I can have access to my firearms, any suggestions or advice you have would be MUCH appreciated, thank you!

4V50 Gary
July 6, 2006, 12:34 AM
Pressure from items inside against the door is jamming the lock. Have a friend tap it with a rawhide or plastic mallet while you simultaneously work the key & lock. May also want to tip it down and lay it against its backside so as to have your friend, gravity, help while you try to unlock it.

chemist308
July 6, 2006, 01:11 AM
Never had this happen but I can visualize what's going on in there in my head. You're guns are mad at you for not using them enough and for making them jealous of each other by having favorites... :)

Okay do what he said and use WD-40--if you can possibly get some on the bar from outside.

blume357
July 6, 2006, 05:59 AM
lay it on it's back and open... will work.

BigV
July 6, 2006, 06:25 AM
When I first got my new Browning safe, I loaded it with all my precious valuable possessions and spun the dial on the door locking it. I then tried to open it and it wouldn’t budge. After over an hour (of sweating and swearing) I read the small pamphlet that came with the safe and it said that the safe MUST be level for the tumblers to drop into position properly. I got my level and some shims and got it level. It opened right up the first try.

HankL
July 6, 2006, 08:34 AM
10' of primadet should do it. :rolleyes:

KimberTLE.45
July 6, 2006, 08:49 AM
Acetylene torches :D Or maybe a rotozip, those are some pretty cheap safes....

shaggy
July 6, 2006, 09:13 AM
I think Gary's got it, but if not you may need to resort to stronger measures...

http://wirelessdigest.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/munsterscanopener.jpg

Ausserordeutlich
July 6, 2006, 11:05 AM
Seriously, if the methods described (laying it on its back, etc.) don't work, get out a cold chisel and hammer.

a1abdj
July 6, 2006, 11:32 AM
Most modern day mechanical locks do not need to be level to operate. In fact, the majority of these locks will function in any position imaginable.

In the case of the jammed safe, there is something inside blocking your lock from unlocking. I'm pretty sure all of those stack ons have exposed mechanisms.

As stated by a previous poster, lay the safe on its back and try it again. If it doesn't work, bounce it a little on its back to try to get whatever is against the door to fall back into the safe.

Guess I should add: DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING. Forcing has a tendancy to break stuff, making the opening that much more difficult.

skeeter1
July 6, 2006, 11:37 AM
Ninety bucks for a gunsafe means it's a cheap piece of junk. I can't imagine why you would put your guns in there.

Try putting on it's back. If that doesn't work, I'd second the advice to get out a hammer and chisel.

A decent safe is going to cost you somewhere between $600-$2000.

ElkSlayer6x5
July 6, 2006, 12:23 PM
first off little wolf you should never move your guns while in safe :(
and what might have happend is why:( it is posable they moved and are jammin the lock lever as you know that all it is in side a flat bar that is moved in to lockin pos when key is truned ... so if laying it down back to floor does not help try the puttin it on its side key side up;) so if something is wedged in there it may fall out ......if all else fails:( you can cut welds with a dremel :( .. Now you have tried to make sure cabnet is square as in not twisted if you have done that in the move it also could be the troble
good luck wolf and free them guns:D

Mannlicher
July 6, 2006, 12:35 PM
I think I would do what ElkSlayer suggested. With this type of safe, what is keeping it from opening is the locking bar is blocked.
So far as your using a marginal safe, well, when you can upgrade do so. I think you did the right thing in getting even an inexpensive one though. Most guns are stolen in a quick robbery, most by kids. Your safe would cause enough of a delay that they would probably not even try to force it open. Now after you get a better safe, keep the Stack On to store ammo in. I have several for that purpose.
Good luck.

KimberTLE.45
July 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
I got my 16 Gun Stack-on with 1 HR (1400 Degree?) Fire protection for $279. It also has an E-lock. Reg price was 449.99. They no longer make it. They make one that is A LOT shorter which is sometimes in the Dicks sporting good's papers on sale for $330.

OneInTheChamber
July 7, 2006, 11:06 AM
Cut it open as an excuse to buy a bigger, better safe!!

Oldphart
July 7, 2006, 11:21 AM
Why not go back to Walmart or wherever you bought it and look at a similar safe. Check out the locking mechanism and see what might jam it. Once you've done that you should know whether to cut it open or not. You might be able to drill a hole alongside the latch and get it open. The hole can be welded up later.

tegemu
July 7, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'll give you $2.87 for it as is, sight unseen.

rapier144
July 7, 2006, 02:17 PM
PM a member on here that goes by the handle DasBoot he know how to open a safe.:D

Toolman
July 8, 2006, 06:16 AM
I'm not that familiar with Stack-On, but if it's got external hinges you might grind off the hinge pins (rivets?) with a die grinder. Then knock out the pins & the door may pivot off.

ride-a-aug
July 8, 2006, 07:30 AM
rapier144- Yea I really would like to see Dasboot answer:D

tegemu - I bump you to $3.48

littlewolf- Oh about the safe honestly I don't know.

johnsonrlp
July 8, 2006, 12:26 PM
PM a member on here that goes by the handle DasBoot he know how to open a safe.

Did he ever get that thing open?

I would try putting it on its back and from there leaning it in different directions and tapping with a rubber hammer.

raise you to $4.20

HiPowering Along
July 8, 2006, 01:00 PM
PM a member on here that goes by the handle DasBoot he know how to open a safe.

Beat me to it!

Speaking of which, and not to hijack the thread, did DasBoot ever get that safe open? Should we be touting him as a safecracking expert?:D

July 9, 2006, 10:27 AM
Little Wolf, did you get it open yet?
I'm bumping to $5.17 AND lunch at Hooters.:D :eek:

hksigwalther
July 9, 2006, 02:44 PM
Is it like this Stack-on 8 gun:

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_security/images/gc-908-5.jpg

or this 8 gun:

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_safes/images/gs-8.jpg

Being $90, I'm guessing it's the first one.

As noted earlier, apply pressure in the closing direction of the door while working the lock. If that doesn't work, a crowbar to the edge of the door will do.

brotherwolf
July 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
I'll bump the offer to $6.56, a half full box of .22's, and your choice of a Lorcin or a highpoint. Shipping not included.

Blue Heeler
July 12, 2006, 06:53 AM
HankL - Your byline is superb and to the point.

Te Anau
July 12, 2006, 10:09 AM
Its really sad that so many of you choose to rip on,and attack this person as a fool for having this $90.00 Stack-on safe.People get what they can and its much better than nothing.I use one (a Homak) thats bolted to the wall and stores my .22lr's and single shot shotguns.I also have a better quality Winchester safe that stores everything else.Shame on those of you who cant help but still choose to criticize. :mad:

rem33
July 12, 2006, 10:24 AM
I know a guy that has two construction job boxes bolted to the floor and each other. It ain't no gun safe but any thief is gonna have to work pretty hard to get his guns and valuables. Works has LOTS of room for the price, stops snatch and grab druggies and the pros will get into your safe anyway.