PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 -vs- Remington 700

pturner67
June 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
I was at Dick's Sporting Goods this past weekend and looking at rifles.

I am a handgun guy but want to own a quality (but reasonably-priced) rifle.

The guy at Dick's showed me a Savage 111 (w/Simmons scope) .270 cal

price was $349

another guy said I should just take the plunge and spend $600 to get a Remington 700

I have read a little on the web and I am finding many people are fairly impressed with the Savage 111...I am not going to be hunting with this rifle...just want options when I go to the range

any comments? Savage fans out there? good/bad with both guns? worth the extra $250 to get the Remington?

thanks

tINY
June 26, 2006, 07:57 PM
If you just want to pick it up and shoot it, the Savage gets my vote. But, don't get the old Simmons on it - get one without and then get a scope you like. The accutrigger isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

Stay away from the injection molded savage stocks. Get the G version instead of the F (the B stocks are even better, but nothing budget wears the laminate).

If you want a wide varietey of accesories and upgrades, get the 700. There are an enormus ammount of upgrades and accesories for the 700....

-tINY

270Win
June 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
Whenever this comes up, I always vote Remington. There's nothing wrong with Savage, at all, but I think the 700 is enough better to justify the choice.

savageHMR
June 27, 2006, 01:03 AM
I have one Savage, a 93R17GV, and love it. I really like the Accutrigger and the out-of-the-box accuracy.

I primarily do benchrest shooting and was looking for a long range rifle that would be good to start, but could also be built for 1000yd matches ( if my skills develop good enough ) so, I was looking for a .308.

I was considering the Savage 12BVSS and the Remington XR100. Both of them are pretty pricey and I kept my eyes open on some of the forums for a private party sale. I finally found a new-in-box Remington 700 SPS for $375 offered by a private party and I pick it up on Wednesday.

If you're not in a hurry, keep looking around and you can eventually find what you want...

Scott

skeeter1
June 27, 2006, 01:39 AM
Given those choices, I'd skip lunch for a month and get the Remington. High-quality rifles like that will likely shoot better right out of the box, and will probably hold its value better. This isn't a knock on the Savage (I have one) and it certainly works, but I would never consider it "collectible."

5whiskey
June 27, 2006, 07:30 AM
I would never consider a Savage a collectible, and yes there are alot more accesories made to fit a remington. HOWEVER, I garauntee you can take a new Savage and a new Remington 700 that are both brand new and the Savage will out shoot the 700 out of the box. Savages are amazing rifles, I have a 7 mag that shoots under a MOA. Do you know how hard it is to make a big magnum shoot under MOA? I want a Remington 700, and if you are looking to make it a tactical rifle (Mcmillan stock, bipods, ect.), you will probably prefer the Remington. It can all be done with a Savage, but it's alot more difficult to upgrade than the 700. Also be aware that bipods on a normal savage stock will cause the forearm to flex enough to touch the barrel at the front (eventually). I added epoxy to mine to weight it and make it stiffer to solve this, and it works well enough. It all depends on what you want, but I would go with a Savage if it's just an out of the box shooter.

I also failed to say that both guns are extremely good shooters, and when I do get a new rifle, it will be between those two. You can't go wrong with either one, but if you want a mcmillan stock I'm not sure you can find one to go on a Savage. They both have ups and downs. If you're going with a savage for economy, look into a stevens 200. Same rifle as a 111 without the accutrigger. Can be had for right at 300, maybe even a little less. Doesn't come with glass, but you're better off choosing your own.

Rangefinder
June 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
Both my long range 'babies' are Remingtons. Nothing against the Savage, but I know very well what I like and what gets the job done.

Deer_hunter
January 12, 2016, 10:37 AM
I have a savage chambered in .308. Absolutely love the gun. Amazing 1/2 grouping at 100 yards even with a hot barrels and factory loads. Amazing action on the gun. The only thing that I would change is the magazine. I have also shot some newer Remington 700s. There quality has gone down tremendously. They were recently bought out by a company called freedom arms. Even though they have a smooth action, the accuracy will even be close to that of the savage. Also the savage comes with a Nikon scope with a BDC reticle which is nice for hunting. The Remington comes with a cheap scope with little clarity. Personally I would recommend the savage 11/111 over the Remington 700 unless you are to buy a used older Remington that has better quality.

Txhillbilly
January 12, 2016, 11:54 AM
Why would you want a 270 Winchester as a range rifle? And even more, an entry level hunting rifle in 270 if you're not going to hunt with it.
There are many other caliber's that perform so much better for target shooting. There aren't very many choices in a good target bullet in .277 caliber, while 6mm,6.5mm,7mm, and .308 caliber bullets have many choices, and also many availabile in factory ammo if you don't hand load.

The Savage vs Remington really has no bearing. Both are great guns, with a very big aftermarket for custom parts available for either brand.
If you want to target shoot, buy a rifle that's designed for that task, as well as the optics for it too.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
January 12, 2016, 02:10 PM
No doubt its a toss up between the two. Savage or Remington in caliber 270 Winchester once scoped with decent glass are both excellent shooters. You can't loose either way. My advice: Don't get caught up in the accuracy syndrome. Shoulder fit, weapons function > (in your hand) and a rifles overall weight are the three most basic features to pay attention too. Good luck with that choice pturner67.

T. O'Heir
January 12, 2016, 02:29 PM
Ya'll notice how old the OP is?

GeauxTide
January 12, 2016, 04:29 PM
I own both. My 116 has 3 position safety, Accustock and Accutrigger with the Syn stock, and I paid $860. Sixty of that was for custom chambering in 260. It shoots .6" all the live long day with 3 different bullets. My 700 SPS retailed for $599 and shoots 3/4" groups with one favored load. Remington replaced the trigger, also. Side by side, I like the Savage better.

emcon5
January 12, 2016, 05:09 PM
Why would you want a 270 Winchester as a range rifle? And even more, an entry level hunting rifle in 270 if you're not going to hunt with it.
There are many other caliber's that perform so much better for target shooting. There aren't very many choices in a good target bullet in .277 caliber, while 6mm,6.5mm,7mm, and .308 caliber bullets have many choices, and also many availabile in factory ammo if you don't hand load.

This.

How far are you planning on shooting? If under 300 yards, get a .223 Rem.

If over 300, and you don't reload, get a .308 Win. Long barrel life, and relatively inexpensive factory ammo.

If over 300 and you do reload, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 (now that good match bullets are available), or .308.

.308 is fine out to 1000 yards. Others perform a little better, but .308 will work.

jmr40
January 12, 2016, 05:24 PM
He asked the question almost 10 years ago. I bet he has already decided. If not none of the prices or other details are now relevant.

gman3
January 12, 2016, 08:16 PM
If not, he's very careful and deliberate about his decisions.

RC20
January 13, 2016, 11:04 PM

Some of us like the bigger calibers no matter what the distance.

I have shot my 06s at 50 yds at times.

Now if you can just get a 270 to shoot accurately....... if anyone can do it its Savage.

joe sixgun
January 14, 2016, 11:33 AM
This is the problem with folks not reading the entire thread. Kind of funny though if you think about it.

samsmix
January 14, 2016, 02:46 PM
Deleted my post. Just noticed how OLD the OP is.

joeb
January 14, 2016, 10:18 PM
I was reading right along until that tree fell across the road. '06.:rolleyes: