PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 -vs- Remington 700

pturner67
June 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
I was at Dick's Sporting Goods this past weekend and looking at rifles.

I am a handgun guy but want to own a quality (but reasonably-priced) rifle.

The guy at Dick's showed me a Savage 111 (w/Simmons scope) .270 cal

price was $349

another guy said I should just take the plunge and spend $600 to get a Remington 700

I have read a little on the web and I am finding many people are fairly impressed with the Savage 111...I am not going to be hunting with this rifle...just want options when I go to the range

any comments? Savage fans out there? good/bad with both guns? worth the extra $250 to get the Remington?

thanks

tINY
June 26, 2006, 07:57 PM
If you just want to pick it up and shoot it, the Savage gets my vote. But, don't get the old Simmons on it - get one without and then get a scope you like. The accutrigger isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

Stay away from the injection molded savage stocks. Get the G version instead of the F (the B stocks are even better, but nothing budget wears the laminate).

If you want a wide varietey of accesories and upgrades, get the 700. There are an enormus ammount of upgrades and accesories for the 700....

-tINY

270Win
June 26, 2006, 11:56 PM
Whenever this comes up, I always vote Remington. There's nothing wrong with Savage, at all, but I think the 700 is enough better to justify the choice.

savageHMR
June 27, 2006, 01:03 AM
I have one Savage, a 93R17GV, and love it. I really like the Accutrigger and the out-of-the-box accuracy.

I primarily do benchrest shooting and was looking for a long range rifle that would be good to start, but could also be built for 1000yd matches ( if my skills develop good enough ) so, I was looking for a .308.

I was considering the Savage 12BVSS and the Remington XR100. Both of them are pretty pricey and I kept my eyes open on some of the forums for a private party sale. I finally found a new-in-box Remington 700 SPS for $375 offered by a private party and I pick it up on Wednesday.

If you're not in a hurry, keep looking around and you can eventually find what you want...

Scott

skeeter1
June 27, 2006, 01:39 AM
Given those choices, I'd skip lunch for a month and get the Remington. High-quality rifles like that will likely shoot better right out of the box, and will probably hold its value better. This isn't a knock on the Savage (I have one) and it certainly works, but I would never consider it "collectible."

5whiskey
June 27, 2006, 07:30 AM
I would never consider a Savage a collectible, and yes there are alot more accesories made to fit a remington. HOWEVER, I garauntee you can take a new Savage and a new Remington 700 that are both brand new and the Savage will out shoot the 700 out of the box. Savages are amazing rifles, I have a 7 mag that shoots under a MOA. Do you know how hard it is to make a big magnum shoot under MOA? I want a Remington 700, and if you are looking to make it a tactical rifle (Mcmillan stock, bipods, ect.), you will probably prefer the Remington. It can all be done with a Savage, but it's alot more difficult to upgrade than the 700. Also be aware that bipods on a normal savage stock will cause the forearm to flex enough to touch the barrel at the front (eventually). I added epoxy to mine to weight it and make it stiffer to solve this, and it works well enough. It all depends on what you want, but I would go with a Savage if it's just an out of the box shooter.

I also failed to say that both guns are extremely good shooters, and when I do get a new rifle, it will be between those two. You can't go wrong with either one, but if you want a mcmillan stock I'm not sure you can find one to go on a Savage. They both have ups and downs. If you're going with a savage for economy, look into a stevens 200. Same rifle as a 111 without the accutrigger. Can be had for right at 300, maybe even a little less. Doesn't come with glass, but you're better off choosing your own.

Rangefinder
June 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
Both my long range 'babies' are Remingtons. Nothing against the Savage, but I know very well what I like and what gets the job done.