PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 Mark II accuracy

Servo77
May 2, 2006, 10:11 AM
The local gunstore has a Ruger .270 M77 at a blowout price. I would love to pick it up, as it ia beautiful walnut stock and blued action, but I have heard bad things about their accuracy. Also, their triggers seem to be really heavy. Any thoughts on the model?

Scorch
May 2, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have owned several Rugers over the years. In 1991 I bought a Ruger 77 Mark II in 243 that shot 5/8" consistently. Rugers used to be pretty bad in the 80s'. In the early 90's they switched to hammer-forged barrels and the accuracy improved dramatically. Still no match for a Remington, but the price and appearance are very nice.
You will probably need to have the trigger worked on or replaced ($50-60). I guess Ruger believes in lawyer-proofing the triggers on their guns.

Smokey Joe
May 2, 2006, 03:15 PM
Servo--I have a Ruger M77 Mk II Target, in .243. Love it. It shoots better than I can. Trigger is very decent for a factory trigger; I wouldn't call it junk.

So, if yr in the market for a .270Win, snap 'er up, sez I!

Shooter 973
May 2, 2006, 04:18 PM
I have several M77 Mark 2's and don't have a bad shooter in the bunch.
My M77/22 in Target Grey and Laminated is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.
My M77 Stainless in 30-06 is exceptional also and the rest are just great shooters. Never had a bad Ruger out of the 30+ that I own!!! :)

Art Eatman
May 2, 2006, 07:27 PM
Mine's in .223. Half-MOA from the giit-go, for three-shot groups, even before I put the Timney on it. Now it's really easy to keep tight groups.

I've shot mostly 52-grain to blunt-nose 70-grain. All tight group.

Art

hoghunting
May 2, 2006, 10:16 PM
I have never had a problem with accuracy with a M77. The two that I have will hold their own against Rem and Win. The trigger can be fixed just as it can on Rems and Wins.

Servo77
May 2, 2006, 11:07 PM
other then a new trigger what can be done to fix it?

compostking
May 4, 2006, 02:06 AM
I just recently purchased a Ruger M77 it is the target rifle 26 in. SS in .223. I have nothing but praise. It is under 1" groups at 100 yards when it comes to accuracy. I of course was using a scope to achieve these results. I currently am using an optronic scope. It is under a hundred dollars(At midwayusa.com), but it is dead accurate and holds its zero after a long day at the range. I really have no major complaints about the gun. I don't know if it because I have the target model, but mine came with a two stage trigger and I have no intent of ever replacing or having work done on it. The pull is light and crisp ideal for most target shooters. I have a savage in .30-06 and a Remington in .308 that are accumulating dust because I have not shot them since this rifle has become my primary rifle.

I also believe the scope rings come free with all M77s so that is another bonus.

Art Eatman
May 4, 2006, 11:31 AM
Srvo, a gunsmith with experience with those triggers can polish the sear engagement a bit, and lighten the trigger spring a bit. Sort of a cost comparison deal. $?? for a nice trigger, or around $70 for a really good trigger.

The installation of a Timney is very easy. A little grinding of the safety lug for proper fit and that's it. I did two passes with the bench grinder and a minute or so cleanup with a stone and that was it. Ten minutes?

Art

cuate
May 4, 2006, 11:55 AM
I too, own one of these .223s with a very fine scope and it will do to ride the river with! I cannot compliment the late Mr. Bill Ruger enough for the fine firearms he designed or had his Engineers design and made available to us,

Servo77
May 5, 2006, 08:01 AM
most of the examples talked about here are heavy barreled models. The one I am inquiring about is a sporter barrel.

gdm
May 5, 2006, 09:36 AM
I have one in a sporter barrel,no irons.no complaints at all, cept replacing the aluminum floorplate.why on earth an aluminum plate on such a fine rifle?

put a 6-24x on it, cheekrest,harris long bipod and it will do its job as long as I do mine.mines in 223 remington,I found a good load and it is very consistant and accurate.it uses a modified mauser action, very smooth.the scope rings are steel and they fit snug in the receiver.the scope and rings have remained zeroed for over 15 years.

I think ruger makes a great bolt action rifle.most rifles will have a pet load that performs exceptionally well and often handloading will even greatly improve a guns potential too.check ballistics charts to see where you wanna go and go from there.

Art Eatman
May 5, 2006, 11:29 AM
Mine is the lightweight sporter. Like I said, 1/2 MOA.

Art

Poodleshooter
May 5, 2006, 11:39 AM
I have a .308 sporter model M77 MkII in stainless. It's the standard sporter barrel-not the newer lightweight carbine or the heavy barrel. When originally purchased in the 1990s, it had extractor problems (this was one of the non-controlled feed claw extractor M77MkIIs-they have since made it a controlled feed model). The factory repaired it by bending the extractor some. Accuracy was quite iffy and deteriorated as it got hotter. I recently removed the stock's upward pressure on the barrel by relieving the forend tip where it bore heavily on the barrel. I also changed out the stock trigger spring and added a trigger stop to reduce overtravel. Now it does 1.5" at 100yds with good handloads.

chemist308
May 5, 2006, 12:08 PM
+1 for the Ruger M77. Best rifle I own.

ebueker
May 9, 2006, 01:09 PM
I own both Ruger Mk IIs and Remington 700s. I shot a one hole 2/3" group yesterday @ 100yds with my Ruger Mk II in .280 using 150 gr. Branes Triple Shocks. If you can get the Ruger for a deal, I wouldn't spend more just to buy a Remington.

jet man
November 17, 2009, 08:51 PM
Does the 20" barrel on this gun create any accuracy issues compared to longer barrel?

TriumphGuy
November 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
Got one in .308. Similar experience as others have mentioned. Very accurate for a sporter. I'm kicking around picking up one in .223 to go with it.

jet man
November 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
when you say "accurate for a sporter" implies you are giving something up. I have never had 20" barrel and am concerned about how compares?

TriumphGuy
November 17, 2009, 11:20 PM
When I say "very accurate for a sporter," I mean 1.5MOA or better. The trigger is heavy compared to a target rifle, but you have to remember that these were intended to be used for hunting. I don't like a trigger that only takes a sneeze to trip when I'm in the brush leaning on a tree branch to take a shot.

FrankenMauser
November 17, 2009, 11:25 PM
I have an M77 Mk II in .270 Winchester (laminated / SS). It will out shoot my skills, any day.

The trigger isn't bad, but definitely not worth bragging about.
If the rifle really is a 'screaming deal', you can afford to throw a Timney trigger in it - without breaking the bank.

4sixteen
November 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have a 308 Win. Ruger M77 Mk II International. Accuracy is very good, consistently within 1.5 MOA. The trigger ain't too bad, but I'm seriously considering a retrofit with a quality single set trigger (maybe a Kepplinger or Timney). :cool:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/storm_rider02/mannlicher.jpg

M&P40
November 18, 2009, 04:44 AM
I have they exact same rifle as Franken Mauser and have nothing but praise for it. Bought it last year and put to deer in the freezer with it. I kinda like the trigger

Horseman
November 18, 2009, 07:38 AM
I have a MkII in 270 I bought it in 1999. I have since put together quite a collection of other hunting rifles. Some cost 3 or 4 times as much as that Ruger. But I can't stop using the Ruger. It's a no nonsense rifle that I know won't let me down. I can't imagine how you could break one. Accuracy potential is there it's just pickier about what it likes than most guns. The trigger work is easy. Great guns. Free float the barrel, bed the action, and tune the trigger down to 3lbs and go hunt.

Art Eatman
November 18, 2009, 10:50 AM
jet man, unless you're a benchrest competitor looking for reductions in group size on the order of thousandths of an inch, barrel length is not an important factor in accuracy. It's only a factor in muzzle velocity and in handling on moving targets. Well, to a minor extent in handling in the cab of a pickup or in moving through thick undergrowth.

(In the specialty world, some guys with .30-'06s for very long distance target shooting are using heavy VLD (very low drag) bullets and 30" barrels. Small groups at 1,100 and 1,300 yards.)

My 77, mentioned above, is a light sporter. 22" barrel.

Dr. Strangelove
November 18, 2009, 11:02 AM
I've got a Model 77 in .308 that is a great rifle. Strangely, though I've loaded for it for years, I've never bothered to measure the group size. It's a hunting rifle, not a target rifle.

If it's going to be a hunting rifle, I'd say buy it. I think too many folks get hung up on the "sub-moa" stuff for basic hunting rifles at normal ranges.

bottom rung
November 18, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have a Ruger M77 MkII Hawkeye in .30-06. I get 1.5" groups with factory Federal 180gr Power Shoks. Personally, I love the Rugers. I think they have more character than some other bolt actions. My rifle is a sporter with a 22" barrel. It has the LC6 trigger that it came with from the factory. It is set around 5lbs with absolutely no creep. I think it is a fantastic trigger for hunting. I couldn't be happier with my rifle. It looked fantastic cradled in the 45" spread of a Canadian Moose.

Crankylove
November 18, 2009, 11:56 PM
I have a MKII Hawkeye in .358 Win, and accuracy is not a problem with it. Two weeks ago I shot another 5/8" group at 100 yds, thats plenty good enough for me (also outshot my dad with his CZ in .416 Rigby, was a good day :) )

rumrunner
January 7, 2012, 02:52 PM
I personally will never purchase another m77. I bought one new and it has never shot well. I have tried numerous different factory ammo and my best groups are 3-4 moa. This is completely unacceptable to me. I now use a Rem 700 which i consistently group sub-moa. It's likely i got unlucky, but i know at least some other people have the same issues. I'm surprised no one on here has anything bad to say about them. As far as the trigger goes that isn't much of a concern. The M77 trigger is one of the easiest ones to improve with a file and diamond stone. Mine is now a clean break at three pounds. Of course I would never recommend you do that, but you probably have the required skills. I personally wish I would have spent the extra money to buy either a Rem 700 or a Winchester Model 70, and will never make the same mistake.

PawPaw
January 7, 2012, 04:06 PM
I've got two old Ruger 77s, both in .25-06. One is a fine shooter with 117 grain bullets and Reloder 22 powder. Groups under an inch are regular and expected. If the rifle shoots over an inch, the loose nut behind the stock isn't doing his part.

The second one is an unknown factor. I picked it up last week and it hasn't been to the range yet. Both of these rifles are tang-safety models and so far I've been very happy with them.

I agree that the trigger could use some work. They manage to combine grit and creep with just a touch of overtravel. I might install a Timney on this newer rifle at some time in the future.

warbirdlover
January 7, 2012, 04:11 PM
I just got back from the range. In other threads I had put a Boyd's stock on my MkII Ruger .300 Win Mag. Here is the five shot group before I moved it to 1-1/4" high at 100 and corrected left and right to be centered. Not bad for a 20 year old rifle eh? :D Oh yeah. This was with cheapo factory Remington CoreLoks. No handloading by me.

I did buy a lighter trigger spring for it and it took me all of 60 seconds to put it in. Trigger is right at 4 lbs. now. Good enough for a hunting rifle.

http://www.erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i22.html

603Country
January 7, 2012, 06:07 PM
Warbirdlover is right. Replacing the trigger spring took my pull from about 4.5 pounds down to 2 pounds. Cost me $10 at the gunsmith and it took him maybe 5 or 10 minutes, but most of that time was him looking for the correct spring. If I had know it was THAT simple, I'd have done it myself. As for the older Ruger 77's, the tang safety kind, those triggers will eventually need some work. I've got two of those and the triggers are fine now, with help from the local gunsmith. As for accuracy, all my Rugers shoot fine. The most recent buy, the Hawkeye in 223, just (about an hour ago) shot 4 Sierra 65 gr Gamekings into one ragged hole, with the 5th just outside the ragged hole. Center to center, measured the longest way, was 0.5 inches. Tomorrow I'm going to see what Nosler 40 gr Ballistic Tips will do, over AA2230 or H335.

FrankenMauser
January 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
... I personally wish I would have spent the extra money to buy either a Rem 700 or a Winchester Model 70, and will never make the same mistake.

You resurrected a 2 year-old thread to tell us that?

homesick
January 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
Doc I have acouple Ruger 77s one being a Hawkeye in 7mm-08 all weather. This is a standard weight hunting rifle, it shoots the 120, 130, and 140 gr bullets well under 1 MOA. From what I see at the range these rifles are very accurate. As for the triggers most are very heavy from the factory but they are an easy fix.
If the price is right, and it fits your needs sounds like a go to me.:)

Orion6
January 7, 2012, 09:01 PM
Had one in .308 in the mid-late 90's. Wish I had never sold it.

It would easily do an inch at 100 yards with Core-Lokts and Winchester hunting ammo. Had a decent trigger too.

I'd take a chance if the price is that good. It was a heck of a rifle for me.

FrankenMauser
January 8, 2012, 03:05 AM
If the price is right, and it fits your needs sounds like a go to me.

Servo77 started this thread 6 years ago.

The prior resurrection was 2 years ago. (for no real reason)

I think this thread has run its course. ;)

BIG P
January 8, 2012, 03:40 AM
I've got the 25-06 with about a 1000 rounds down the pipe & its still taking deer & hogs @ 300yds.& songdogs at 400 so I sure aint complaining.beats the fuzz out of throwing rocks.:D:D

Orion6
January 8, 2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
If the price is right, and it fits your needs sounds like a go to me.
Servo77 started this thread 6 years ago.

The prior resurrection was 2 years ago. (for no real reason)

I think this thread has run its course.

I didn't even notice, ha ha! :D

TX Hunter
January 8, 2012, 12:33 PM
I have one of the little Ruger Frontier .308s and despite its extreemly short 16.5 inch barrel it is still very accurate. Less than two inches at 100 yards with factory ammo. I hunt deer with it and love it.