PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with this deer?

kingudaroad
April 3, 2006, 11:25 AM
Picture taken with game cam in Central Texas hill country. I've seen a lot of deer around here but nothing like this. Any ideas?

Tommy Vercetti
April 3, 2006, 11:27 AM
Lepotena mazamae "deer ked"

These arthropods, often refereed to as "deer ticks" are actually wingless flies. The adult is about 1/8 of an inch long and they live in the hair of the animal. They are well adapted to this existence and feed on blood. They can live on the deer for up to 6 months. The blood feeding activity produces irritation and can result in hair loss and an anemia. Animals in poor condition with heavy infestations may experience difficulty in severe winters. Transmission from one animal to another is by direct contact. This species appears to be restricted to infesting only deer. The distribution in Oklahoma is state-wide.

jhgreasemonkey
April 3, 2006, 11:54 AM
In Wa state the dept of fish and wildlife have reported a "hair loss disease" in deer that is supposedly spreading. But I have yet to see one. They have the info on their website. Maby that's a possibility for this critter. :confused:

Capt Charlie
April 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
Body mass looks average and the affected areas have a clean margin. Any chance we're looking at physical injury?

Scorch
April 3, 2006, 12:25 PM
I am not sure if Texas has EHD (Ectopic Hemorragic Disease), but that could be it. EHD is caused by a parasite (similar to mange) and causes hair loss in patches, just like in the photo. There were problems with EHD in Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and Nevada. Don't know about anywhere else.

Trip20
April 3, 2006, 12:36 PM
Bot Flies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botfly)?

sanctified
April 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
looks like deer ticks to me.

jhgreasemonkey
April 3, 2006, 07:17 PM
Put out a bucket of rogain for the poor feller. He's not gonna get any ladies lookin like that.

kingudaroad
April 3, 2006, 10:51 PM
Wow! 7 posts and 7 different diagnosis. I thought one of those scars looked like a hoof print.

roy reali
April 3, 2006, 11:28 PM
It looks a side effect of using BALCO products.

Wild Bill Bucks
April 4, 2006, 09:43 AM
Could it be the deer has been sprayed by some nit wit using bird shot?
Just asking-not telling.:confused:

Art Eatman
April 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
Email the photo to TP&WD. Let their game biologists have a look.

Art

Long Path
April 6, 2006, 10:45 AM
One more possible (not likely, but possible) solution: Barbed wire.

I've seen some deer caught in barbed wire, and seen scars of same. Usually they're long slashes. But I could imagine that it could turn out this way.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18519&stc=1&d=1144338295

caz223
April 6, 2006, 10:51 AM
Prolly a parasite of some sort.
It looks a little like ringworm sites, but they're in the wrong places, they're usually concentrated near the eye.

FirstFreedom
April 6, 2006, 11:20 AM
What's wrong with him is that his rack is not over my door yet and his meat is not on my table yet. :)

sparkysteve
April 7, 2006, 04:48 PM
Super deer meets buckshot?

You got me.

VirgilCaine
April 7, 2006, 07:26 PM
Beats my two-pair.
Run in with a Coyote or 3?

Anthony2
April 7, 2006, 09:46 PM
"Coyote or 3?"
Could very well be...I saw video of a buck not too long ago...had the same general markings. I found out later:
Day 1-Deer gets shot by hunter.
Day 2-Deer gets chased by pack of coyotes.
Day 3-Hunter finds deer tangled in barb-wire cow fence. Upon approach deer frees itself and is in short order turned into dinner.

Is that what happened to your deer? We'll never know...
But if I ever learn to speak deer AND see that one...I'll ask!:D :D :D

youp
April 9, 2006, 04:16 PM
It would appear to my untrained eye that this deer is 'icky' and you should avoid contact with it.:D

FirstFreedom
April 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
Is that a scientific term, youp? :) Anthony, that deer sure enough had a bad 3 days. :(

PSE
April 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
he has the "itis". a simple cure of "tusin" will suffice.

spacemanspiff
April 10, 2006, 02:56 PM
nah, hes just wants attention. equivalent of our species piercing every nook and cranny and inking up the inbetween.

:D

p.s. the above is NOT meant as a slam on those who choose 'body modifications' to adorn themselves with.

Fremmer
April 10, 2006, 03:05 PM
You all are asking the wrong question ("what is wrong with this deer").

What you should be asking is, "how did this deer get so smart?"

After all, the deer is smart enough to make itself look unappealing to many hunters, right? :D :p

yorec
April 10, 2006, 03:33 PM
This guy using an underpowered load?

Mountain Howitzer Deer Hunting (http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm)

Anthony2
April 12, 2006, 05:45 PM
FirstFreedom-Granted the deer had a couple of bad days...but from what I heard no tenderizer was needed.:D That and I'm glad someone put it out of it's misery...:)

I wonder if anyone else has seen deer like this recently? The video I saw was almost ten years old...

PPCLI 2 can.
April 13, 2006, 01:09 AM
aliens
serious
put on your tin foil hat and repeat after me
rats i hate rats they locked me in a cell with rats when i was crazy
crazy .... did someone say crazy
i was crazy once they locked me in a room full of rats
rats.... did some say rats
rats i hate rats they locked me in a cell with rats when i was crazy ....

Jseime
April 15, 2006, 09:29 PM
put some tussin on it youll be fine
-chris rock

2rugers
April 16, 2006, 03:30 PM
He got his ass handed to him for being a little to amourous with the "BOSSES" Girl during the season of free love, i.e., "THE RUT".

brotherwolf
April 25, 2006, 07:03 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/taxodium/DGC_0014.jpg

Is it contagious!!

Is it caused by this..............................

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/taxodium/deerpic.jpg