PDA

View Full Version : screw in rifled choke

azzhandler
March 29, 2006, 10:16 PM
i was wondering how a screw in rifled choke compared to a fully rifled barrel i just stumbled into a browning a-bolt shotgun with the rifled choke an was wondering if it would shoot even close to as good as the fully rifled barrel i have 6 slug guns some smooth bore and afew have hastings rifled barrels anyone use the rifled choke setup?

charlie in md
March 30, 2006, 07:07 AM
I have a rifled choke tube that was put in my Rem 1100 (1982 vintage) by a gunsmith. It was originally a 21 inch smooth bore slug barrel. With 1 oz winchester sabot slugs, I can keep groups under 2" at 50 yards. I normally hunt in an area where the shots are about that distance or less. I trust the accuracy out to about 100 yards.

You'll need to get a few different types of slugs to see which your setup likes.

good luck!

C

Dave McC
March 30, 2006, 09:03 AM
I use one in a standard 20" 870 barrel with a peep sight. Set up earns 100 yard groups of less than 5" ETE. Killed maybe 20 deer with it.

Best slug is the 1 oz K Brenekke, but YMMV.

IMO, worth it.

HTH....

Ruger4570
March 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
they work better than no rifling, but it is hard to beat a fully rifled tube for accuracy.

charlie in md
March 31, 2006, 08:21 AM
I would have gotten a fully rifled barrel, but nobody makes one for my 1100, because it is left handed.

mete
March 31, 2006, 08:38 AM
The rifled barrel should be used with sabot slugs and will give the best accuracy. A smooth bore should be used with standard slugs. The rifled choke permits you to use sabot slugs with better accuracy in the smooth bore.

azzhandler
April 3, 2006, 05:43 PM
thanks for the imfo ill probably end up selling the a-bolt and continue too use my trusty auto-5 with the hastings barrel

Mannlicher
April 3, 2006, 08:21 PM
thanks for the imfo ill probably end up selling the a-bolt and continue too use my trusty auto-5 with the hastings barrel

I bought two Hastings barrels for my 3 inch Mag A-5, a 26 inch Wadlock II and a rifled barrel. I have been shooting Breneke slug, and they work great on hogs. With the rifle sights on the Hastings, I get consistant 2 inch or a bit less accuracy at 50 yards, and believe I could hit a hog or deer at 100. Never shot a slug that far though while hunting. Most of the area I hunt is very heavy cover.