PDA

View Full Version : What good is the .410?

Death from Afar
March 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
Hang on, this isnt a troll ( like the legendary .22 is the best caliber for self defence)...I am thinking about a .410. I was discussing this with my local gunsmith- who knows a thing or two about guns- and he said basically forget it, its a total waste of time...not enough pellets. What do you reckon?

roy reali
March 19, 2006, 11:16 PM
I admire folks that bird hunt with the .410, espically those that succeed. In fact, the best wing shots I know use the smaller guages. I use a 12 due to my poor ability with a scattergun. I need to throw up as many projectiles as possilbe.

What is the .410 good for? Accomplished shooters I guess.

gordo b.
March 19, 2006, 11:27 PM
The .410 is the best suburban ranch around house ,barn and garden pest gun ever made! It is much quieter than the other guages and racoons on down in in size die very well with #6 0r #7.5 1/2oz or bigger loads. I shoot ground squirrels and gophers at up to 25 yards with # 7.5 with wonderful success.30 pound Raccons up to 50 feet or so with #6 .All with an old full choke single barrel.I also shoot quail up to 100 feet and bunnies a little closer with my Citori O/U Skeet gun. And yes , the occasional round of small bore skeet! My M-6 Scout rifle (and my son's) gets a lot f various .410 use too. In a SURVIVAL mode the slug load would do a deer sized animal up to 25 yards or so. The buck loads would hurt somebody with in that range too, if necessary!;)
I

roy reali
March 20, 2006, 12:13 AM
Many do not understand that a load of six shot will go just as far, just as fast, from a .410 as from a 12 gauge. And the main determinate of pattern size is the shotgun's choke. A modified .410 bore and a 12 gauge modified bore will make an equal size pattern at any given distance.

Just look at recipe manuals for shotshell reloading. A friend of mine reloads for all the common gauges. The velocities listed for each gauge is the same. Of course, the size of the payload is different.

Using fewer pellets requires greater skill on the shooters part. But that is the beauty of the smaller ones.

tBlake08
March 20, 2006, 12:18 AM
Best squirrel gun I own.

HuntAndFish
March 20, 2006, 12:26 AM
When young I hunted rabbits, dove, and jumped ducks on ponds in the fall with a .410 bore. I don't remember ever being disappointed by the .410. It is a very effective gun for small game. Anymore though, .410 shells are more expensive than 20 gauge. Economically the .410 bore probably isn't your best choice anymore.

You can buy a box of 25 3" mag 20 gauge #4 birdshot for about the same price (or a little less) than a box of 25 .410 bore 3" #4 birdshot. The 20 gauge is better for the same price.

9mm_prn
March 20, 2006, 12:27 AM
I would love to get a .410 lever gun. Saw a couple stainless models at the PDX gun show last weekend that were very nice. My dad told me many of the Indian (Inuit?) guides in Alaska and Canada have been packing these.

maas
March 20, 2006, 04:44 AM
what good is the .22 imo there both about the same on the fun scale (10) the only down fall of the 410 is the cost of ammo. i dont own one my freinds do though i always enjoy shooting it every chance i get. i wanted to buy a 94/410 to match my 94/22 but the way things look i dont think ill be getting one anytime soon. (also i HAVE to buy a 10mm first)

oletymer
March 20, 2006, 11:13 AM
410's are a lot of fun to shoot. Like others have said if you are a fair shot they will do the job. As far as ammo price it is expensive, however if you reload they are really cheap once you get the hulls.

wildcat91
March 20, 2006, 09:19 PM
I bought a 410 bore three years ago a bps and it is my main small game gun it took lots of grouse in the the U.P. this year and is great on rabbits. I also took it out for a day of pheasants and had two one shot kills. You just have to learn to be more disipline and take only shots with in range no farther than 25 yards.

mswestfall
March 20, 2006, 09:49 PM
I shot a couple of Skeet birds wtih a Beretta 12 guage with .410 tubes. It was the best balanced gun I've felt to date.

Dr. Wizard
March 20, 2006, 09:54 PM
A .410 is fun ( I still have the ooold single shot that my Dad got from his father in the 19th Century.) I have taken squirrels, rabbits and grouse with this fine old shooter, but, (and it's a BIG but) I prefer a 28 gauge.

A 28 gauge is good for upland game and a lot of fun to shoot, besides having very low recoil. The only problems I have found concerning 28 gauge shotguns is the poor availiability from current manufacturers and the prices for the few that are offered. (That doesn't address the cost of the ammunition!)

maas
March 21, 2006, 05:15 AM
man 28ga you just dont here too much about those anymore. i dont think ive even shot one. do you reload it. i know they still make ammo but i hardly see it (then again im not looking for it either, one of those things out of mind out of site)

Dirty_Harry
March 21, 2006, 10:49 AM
I got my dad a Winchester .10 lever gun for Christmas, and it is a blast to shoot! Great pest gun.

Death from Afar
March 21, 2006, 04:19 PM
So it seems the answer is :

Less noise +More challenge = Hours of fun for one and all.

Hmm, I wonder how it would do on the rabbit plague down here, I figure 150 rds of .410 will be a bit easier to carry than 150 rds of 12 gauge ( which, belive it or not , is what you need to take on a rabbit shooting walk)

webbee
March 21, 2006, 04:22 PM
For small animals and birds the .410 is great. My neighbor had a double barrel .410 that was sweet. I wish I had bought it when he sold it.

wallingdad
March 21, 2006, 05:30 PM
I love quail hunting with my o/u 410. i used to use (and still do on occasion) my 12 guage citori but i must confess that the 410 is a lot more fun and not to mention a lot lighter. i still take birds. you just make sure of the shot. also i have started reloading to compensate for the cost of ammo. i shoot trap with the 410 as well and you can run up a hefty bill for ammo without reloading. try the 410. you will like it!!

sparkysteve
March 21, 2006, 06:06 PM
.410's are great small game and pest guns. Small and quiet.

1950ric
March 22, 2006, 01:01 AM
Still have my 940A Stevens 410. Got it for Christmas 1962. Very sweet shooter great for doves, quail and small game. Simple and easy to clean. Great for a trainer also. I trained my son on it. I could never get rid of it. Everyone that shoots it loves it. I recently ebayed a pair of barrels for it (20 & 16 GA). They were both from a model 94. After fitting the latch mechanisms they work just as sweet. This makes it very easy to switch gauges when needed right in the field. Looking for a 12 and maybe a 28 GA just to round out the set. What other type of long gun could boast such versatility? Even with the other barrels I'll always shoot the 410 when given the chance. To me the price of the shells is worth the pleasure.

Death from Afar
March 22, 2006, 02:31 PM
So I should get that savage pump .410?

mathman
March 22, 2006, 03:00 PM
A 410 is good for measuring how good you are...;)

Anthony2
March 22, 2006, 03:04 PM
Couldn't ask for a better .410, closes tight as a safe and shoots like my .22 mag....Best $129 anyone ever spent on me!

Could use it on anything smaller than deer...rabbits squirrels turkey etc. and it has survived everything I can put it through...including being submerged in the mud and myre...and cleaned 2 days later! still shoots like the day I got it.

12-34hom
March 22, 2006, 03:57 PM
I've owned numerous 410 guage scatterguns, i've loved every minute shooting them in the field. Pheasant - quail - rabbit - shooting trap.

My currant version is a Remington 1100 - fixed modified choke - hammered aload of pheasants with it shooting #5 lead shot in the 3 inch shells.

Others i have owned - Stevens 311a - Remington 870 LW - fun guns!

12-34hom.

K80Geoff
March 22, 2006, 07:12 PM
When all is said and done the 28 is a superior gauge. Better and more consistent patterns and a more balanced shell.

28 GA is no more expensive than comparable 410 loads. And there are now quite a few 28 ga guns on the market.

roy reali
March 23, 2006, 12:00 AM
Have you done comparison patterning between the .410 and 28 gauge?

HuntAndFish
March 23, 2006, 01:42 AM
So I should get that savage pump .410?

You haven't said (aside from rabbits) what you would use it for, nor the price. So, I am assuming you will be using it for rabbits and small game, plinking, and just generally causing trouble. :)

Also, I'm assuming the price isn't a problem....

If I was looking for a smaller gauge shotgun, I would not get the .410. I would get a 20 gauge (3" chamber) instead, unless the price was just too good to pass up.

The .410 is fun and you probably wouldn't regret it...but there are better options for the same money. Your call.

Death from Afar
March 23, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yes, I think there is every reason to get a 20 gauge , but I do like the challenge of the .410, and much lighter ammo. ....

tschaef
March 23, 2006, 09:33 PM
I'm new to the .410 and I absolutely love it.
I kept my eyes open for a combo gun untill I found my 22/410 model 24. Its the greatest "goin for a walk" gun ever!
Small and light, versatile, reliable, and fun.

Skeetin'870
March 24, 2006, 12:12 AM
I have patterned my 28 and .410 tubes and the 28 was a better pattern simply because there was more of it.
Quite frankly I shoot .410 to find problems in my game and also to teach blowhards a lesson. They say they can hit any shot with any gun low house first doubles on 4 with a .410 shuts them up rather nicely.

roy reali
March 24, 2006, 01:38 AM
How many different loads did you try? Were they handloads or factory loads?

rhgunguy
March 24, 2006, 02:16 AM
I once went to the range to do a little skeet shooting. There was an old gentleman, about 65. He had a .410. He never missed a shot. Any direction, angle or speed he killed em all. I asked him why he used a .410. He told me that after so many years of shooting 12 gauge the recoil became to much for him and was not a challenge. So he went to 20, same thing as with 12. Then to 28, same deal. Finaly, the only thing that didn't cause him pain to shoot was the .410. But it still didn't look like it was much of a challenge to him. I thought I was good at skeet, but when a old, arthritic man with a .410 can make shoots that I find hard with a 12 it realy puts things into perspective.

steve1589
March 24, 2006, 08:55 AM
The .410 is an excellant choice for the expert wingshot. In capable hands the shooter will need the same number of shotshells as the daily limit of game. Shooting rabbits with a .410 will reduce your lead consumption if you are going to eat them and maybe save you a trip to the dentist. Aim for the nose and you will have some good eating.

FirstFreedom
March 24, 2006, 10:32 AM
Question: If "bore" and "guage" are synonymous, and .410 is neither, and therefore ".410 bore" is incorrect, then what is the proper term for the chambering? Is it ".410 shot", ".410 caliber shot", or is there some other proper designation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauge_%28bore_diameter%29

BTW, .410 is 67 gauge (or 67 bore, if you like).

March 24, 2006, 10:46 AM
I believe .410 can be referred as it's caliber.

Introduction to Shotgun Gauges & Shells (http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm)

Death from Afar
March 24, 2006, 03:50 PM
This is all good stuff, I think I will get that .410 just as a challenge. It will be fun to see how it goes on the rabbits, and you can carry more ammo. On my favorite shotgunning spot, you can go through 200 cartridges in a day, and thats not fun to carry..

HuntAndFish
March 24, 2006, 09:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.410_bore

While Google search on the terms ".410 gauge" returns nearly twice the hits as a search on ".410 bore", examination of firearms and ammunition manufacturers naming will show that they use the technically correct ".410 bore" designation. It is a bore and not a gauge because the barrel diameter is .410 inches (10.4 mm); a true gauge is a measurement of the number of lead balls of bore diameter that constitute a pound (454 gram). A true gauge measuring .410 would have a 2.25 inch (57 mm) bore; a 410 gauge would measure .225 inches (5.7 mm). However, since the larger shotgun bore sizes are measured in gauge (10, 12, 20, 16, 28), many people assume that the .410 bore should be called a "gauge" as well.

The .410 bore is a "67 gauge"...as the article mentions. Bore and gauge are not synonyms. I can see why the article you quoted makes you think they are. :rolleyes: The ".410 bore" is correct usage. The ".410 gauge" is not. The article you referred to gives you a formula for computing the bore given the gauge number (and therefore vice versa).

EDIT: Go for it DeathFromAfar! :)

Hello123
March 26, 2006, 04:28 PM
I think it is best to teach gun safety to a youngster with. Other than that, I stopped using one because it doesn't seem to give clean kills.

Rimrock
March 26, 2006, 04:44 PM
When we were kids I got the Stevens 311 in 20ga. and my brother got the single shot Savage .410...... followed immediately by the NRA Hunter Safety Course. Great introductory shotguns!

Rimrock

biglabsrule
March 26, 2006, 04:46 PM
i recently bought my old man a .410 for squirles... we get them in our wood pile thats under tin stacked against the house at the end of the porch... he had always used a .310 remington but they stoped making that ammo way back in 70s or 80s so we needed something that would take out a squirel but not damage the house with any spray....love the .410, use it around the house and don't have to worry about the backdrop(quite as much, im not a Cheyney :P)

SemperKnight
March 27, 2006, 12:12 AM
I have a friend that killed three white tail deer here in SC with a Saiga .410. He used 3" slugs and has a scope. I have shot it and it is almost as much fun to shoot as my Saiga 12. Ammo is about the same cost though and my 12 is way more powerful and destructive.

FirstFreedom
March 27, 2006, 12:55 PM
HuntandFish, that's what I had always thought, that .410 bore was proper. But I had read somewhere that bore is a synonym for guage, so I began to doubt myself. What I read was wrong, apparently, and what you said (and what I had 'known' all along) is correct. Bore is not a synonym of guage; rather, it is a synonym of caliber.

renegadecreation
March 27, 2006, 04:33 PM
The .410 may seem impractical for an adult but I started out with a .410 squirrel hunting and can tell you that it is the best shotgun to learn shooting technique and safety. They are also much lighter and have slight recoil perfect for youth. (I like shooting one every once and awhile just for fun, they can be a ton of fun :cool: )

HuntAndFish
March 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I will say the waters have been muddied a little by the English referring to their african double rifles as "4-bores" and "8-bores". I am unaware of their reasons for this and don't know whether they are applying the "gauge" calculation to obtain this reference, but it seems likely. Apparently you can refer to a 1-inch caliber double rifle as a "4-bore" and do it with a straight face. :)

Lawyer Daggit
March 27, 2006, 10:51 PM
Great Snake gun- something every Kiwi and Irishman needs!

I used to have an M6 survival gun in .22Mag / .410- could never test the .410 with buckshot on larger game as all I could get was small shot. At low range it is good on bunnies and it would be fine for shooting Possums out of kiwi trees!

Death from Afar
March 31, 2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks Mate- how have you been?

How did the .410 go on the rabbits? I really like the idea of being able to carry 250 shotshells and not bust my back in the process. On a rabbit shoot I carry 50 in a bandolier, another 25 in various pockets, and 75 more in my day pack...and always run out.

Anthony2
April 2, 2006, 03:54 PM
"I think it is best to teach gun safety to a youngster with. Other than that, I stopped using one because it doesn't seem to give clean kills."

With all due respect, Are you shooting with your eyes closed? Or, what is the situation where you hunt?

I learned to shoot a 12 before I was every given my .410 single, and it is still my gun of choice for small game and occasionally clays.

I'm curious how often you shoot yours...well, I guess that's a bad choice of words...how often do you practice?
Kind Regards,

308SORRELS
April 2, 2006, 09:46 PM
I was started out with a 20 gauge single shot while my little brother was started with a 410 single. He could and still can drop a pheasant after the rest have quit shooting. The shells are more expensive and they are not allowed for duck or turkey.at least not in Kansas. But I would not be with out one in the gun rack. as they sure do help your shooting get back on track.

belton-deer-hunter
April 4, 2006, 11:09 AM
i am new here but the 410 is the best hunting gun i own for rabbits squirrels and i even used mine this weekend to shoot skeet that was the first tiem and i hit the first two with only one shot so they are good if you practice

Donaldo
April 4, 2006, 11:36 AM
taking care of a viper (like a rattler) one handed. Someone used to make (they might still) a .410 called a snake charmer. It was a single shot, synthetic stock .410 with the sole idea of taking care of various small critters. Heard they are great for rabbit hunting.