PDA

View Full Version : Summertime Concealment: How do you do it?

FirearmFan
March 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

So we had our first spring / summer day here in Philly and it go me thinking. I have yet to carry a full summer with shorts and a t-shirt. I carried in the fall with a polo shirt + jeans and felt everyone and there grandmother could see it as I was leaving the supermarket.

My question is this - How do you carry a compact pistol in the hot summer months without printing too much or wearing one of those photographers vests. The only thought I have is to purchase a tuckable holster, but even then I will probably print alot. My standard summer attire is shorts or jeans with a polo or t-shirt.

Any help is much appreciated.

FYI - I carry a p2000, anything smaller is uncomfortable in my hands.

exar
March 14, 2006, 04:04 PM
A shoulder harness under your t-shirt or maybe an internal waistband holster might do it. If I can't conceal it because of attire, I don't carry.

threegun
March 14, 2006, 04:35 PM
Here in Florida I have to deal with heat most of the year, in fact it is 81 degrees and sunny right now. I have gone to the fanny pack out of necessity. At first the thought of carrying a girlie bag or man purse was spooky however now it is the only way to go. Plus you can carry a bigger gun and your personals. Mine is an uncle mikes medium I believe and it easily holds a Glock23 with a longer G22mag in it. Good luck

Doug.38PR
March 14, 2006, 04:42 PM
I have made it a practice to wear a sport coat. Conceals effectively year round with any kind of handgun. And it looks nice. :) Get a summertime sport coat. "Too hot" you say? If you wear it often enough, your body and mind will get used to it pretty quick and you will not sweat it (pun intended). Remember, men used to go around all day every day in three piece suites 50 years ago and that was before air conditioning watered us down. (not that I am suggesting we get rid of AC :o ) Most of this "it's too hot to wear a coat" line of thinking is more psychological than it is reality. Especially if it is thin summertime coat. BTW, this is coming from someone who lives Down South in Houston Texas where we get 99+ degree summers.:cool:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Doug38PR/DS2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Doug38PR/Crystalclear2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/Doug38PR/Crystalclear.jpg

If I go to something where I might have to take my coat off I either put my Detective Special in my pocket or I put my larger service gun IWB holster and tuck my shirt in over it. The clip to the holster is all that shows and to conceal that you need only clip your cell phone over it so it looks like the holster clip is actually part of the cell phone clip. It actually works! BUT since it is under your shirt, it is a little harder to get to if you need it quick than it would be under a sport coat or suit coat

garrettwc
March 14, 2006, 04:47 PM
I carry a full size 1911 in the humid Indiana summers. The key of course is to dress around the gun.

Oversize polo shirts, or camp/Hawaiian shirts worn over a thin undershirt work just fine for me. IWB holsters make this easiest, but you can do it with a proper belt holster too.

I carried in the fall with a polo shirt + jeans and felt everyone and there grandmother could see it as I was leaving the supermarket.
That apprehension is normal when you first start CCW. Most people walk around in their own little world and never notice.

Dave R
March 14, 2006, 05:04 PM
All you REALLY need are a good belt (which implies belted pants,) a good holster, and an un-tucked shirt. The un-tucked shirt is the part that most people choke on.

Even an un-tucked T-shirt will conceal a full-size auto in an IWB holster IF ITS NOT FORM-FITTING! And that's more comfortable, anyway.

Same with an un-tucked polo.

If your personal fashion police won't allow it, then an open hawaiian shirt or gaucho shirt over a tucked-in T will cover anything within reason. A nice print goes a long way to limit the visibility of printing. I like to button the bottom button or two to prevent a gust of wind from blowing the shirt. Otherwise, all buttons are open. Very "Miami Vice."

And yes, a sport coat over a nice tucked-in polo is acceptable even at the Country Club in the hottest weather.

So here are my two favorite options:

1. Cargo shorts with good belt, with a tucked-in T and a hawaiian shirt.
2. Lightweight dress pants (good belt, again) with a tucked-in polo, with a nice blazer over.

Geez, I feel like "queer eye for the CCW guy."

mete
March 14, 2006, 05:31 PM
A knitted fabric such as a T-shirt will print more than a woven and a print or check will be better than a plain color .[you don't really have to wear gaudy Hawaian prints ! ] Make it a bit oversize. IIRC the P2000 is the same size as my P7 M10 [though lighter !] . For that I use a TheWilderness Zip-slide but there are others that will work. If you are a fairly big guy it won't be hard to conceal.

Pointer
March 14, 2006, 05:53 PM
.38 Snubbie with 135gr Gold Dots...

In the pocket holster front pants pocket...

This ammo was especially designed for use in snubbies...

threegun
March 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
Don't be afraid to explore your feminine side guys LOL get a fanny pack. Wear what you want, when you want to. Take that coat off and feel the breeze or simply enjoy a meal without worry of getting a messy cuff. Life is so much easier now. No holstering twice daily unless for practice. No wallet to bruise the tender bottom. Those of you who try it will never go back.

BTW, they make leather ones for a dressier attire. I have only been asked if I had a pistol one time in 10 plus years of fanny pack carry. They are so common that nobody notices.

Dennis2
March 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
I agree in hot weather the fanny pack would be best. Another option is the elastic belly band. The elastic belly band will tuck in that beer belly and provide some back support to boot :D

Derius_T
March 14, 2006, 06:23 PM
A good IWB holster and a good belt go a long way. I normally wear blue jean or kakki (sp?) shorts with an untucked tee-shirt. To hell with the fashion police. I may not fit in at the formal ball, but I'll still be alive....;)

EXAR WROTE:

If I can't conceal it because of attire, I don't carry.

BG's don't care what you are wearing. ;)

Glenn E. Meyer
March 14, 2006, 06:30 PM
Nice t-shirt, lightweight cover shirt and an IWB takes care of an IWB easily. For more formal dress - pocket PM-9 is easy if you pick your pants right.

Either gives reasonably fast access and concealment.

stevelyn
March 14, 2006, 07:01 PM
I conceal a Glock 22 in a DeSantis Cozy Partner with a t-shirt or polo shirt.
Untucked doesn't get me all bent outa sorts like it does some folks. Of course my idea of formal is clean Carhartts.:D :p

KC135
March 14, 2006, 07:18 PM
Not hard to do, just a matter of desire.;)

I do not carry compact gun for primary, or even second. Third is usually a J frame.

Carhart shorts, dark t shirt, and cover shirt is short sleeved print worn out, with bottom couple of buttons buttoned. Second gun, usually a Ti l frame is carried in a JIT crossdraw. Primary is full sized GM or N frame carried IWB.

Also use vest--but vest must look like it is used to carry stuff, not used as a cover garment.:)

atlctyslkr
March 14, 2006, 08:14 PM
I know I'm going to get slammed for this but I am a big fan of the ankle holster. It works great all year and is especially good in the summer with a tucked in shirt (if I need to look nice). If you practice (unloaded of course!!) wearing it there and drawing you can get good at getting your hands on it fast. And for those of you who like to palm your gun in your pocket when approached from a distance by unsavory characters; I just stop and pretend to tie my shoe and pull it out and pocket it. If you're fast no one will notice.

If I don't need to look nice I don't tuck my shirt in and carry on my belt like normal. Never had a problem. As mentioned before in this thread. If I can't dress around it I don't carry and I don't carry if I'm fairly sure I won't need it.

Rightwinger
March 14, 2006, 08:30 PM
Carry: Galco Summer Comfort IWB, with a Full Size 1911.

Attire to facilitate: Shorts (Khaki ones with lots of pockets to slip a mag or two into), Under shirt (tucked in), T-Shirt or Hawaiian Shirt or Polo (Untucked)

Works every time. Hawaiian shirts are the international CCW trademark these days.

gdeal
March 14, 2006, 08:48 PM
good idea

Raytracer
March 14, 2006, 08:56 PM
I carry IWB with Hawaiian shirts or Mexican Wedding shirts all year round. Only made once, and it was because the I was wearing a plain shirt with no print.

It's not my absolute favorite mode of carry, but it does work well and it is undetectable without a pat down: www.smartcarry.com Even T-shirt and shorts. Or even just shorts.

Joe

shooter429
March 14, 2006, 08:58 PM
Summer is no problem. Not gunna tell all my secrets, but here are a few very easy and common ones: Belly band, IWB+oversize shirts n windbreaker, or vest + high-ride, IDPA (In da private area) If you want to hook up with the hotties on the beach, stick a .45 in your shorts :D Fanny pack, horiz. shoulder rig, Ankle rig, purse, briefcase, backpack, pager.

You can strap to pretty much any body part or any kind of clothing or accessory. You can always turn innocuous looking items into holsters. Some companies build and market such things. All you need is a little thought/imagination and or a bit of green (if you want to spend it).

Shooter429

Jack Malloy
March 14, 2006, 09:02 PM
In the summer time, I usually carry a J frame in an IWB rig or a kydex paddle rig. I tend to wear a very large button up short sleeve shirt.
Sometimes, I carry it in a denim vest pocket. I like to wear the denim vest with a t shirt and shorts, as I can put my keys and my wallet in the vest too, and not have to wear regular pants with a regular belt.
Just try to find really, really, really big loose shirts and rigs that hold the handle of the gun against you instead of "falling away" from your side, cowboy style and you will do fine. Most people see a bulge under your shirt, they are gonna think its a palm pilot or cell phone...

Jack Malloy
March 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
PS, I am about 290 right now (I go up and down weight wise) so you cannot find 4 x shirts at Wally World, but you can find them at Marshalls and Gabriel brothes at Wal Mart prices.
If that doesnt work, check the Big and Tall catalogue. Good clothes at decent prices.

springmom
March 14, 2006, 09:09 PM
...it's a little different. Tank tops, tight tees, and God knows, bikini tops and such are not going to work. However, slightly oversize tees, or loose overshirts over tees, work just as well for us. IWB is, for me, the single best way of carrying. Blue jeans, especially, smooth out the outline of the gun, and it really doesn't take much length on the tee or overshirt to cover the grip; it just takes a heavy enough fabric.

And of course there's always fanny packs or purse carry if you *really* want to wear something light. But since we are unlikely to wear either vests or sports coats, :rolleyes: we need to make sure that tees and shirts are heavy enough, and long enough, to cover the grip.

Springmom

Ares45
March 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm 6-0", 155lbs. Kinda 2x4ish, everything prints on me, including my hip bones. Read this carefully....get a GOOD IWB holster and a GOOD sturdy belt. Sounds kind of "well duh?" doesn't it? I thought the same thing when I started asking this exact same question. It really does make a difference. Do a google search for "the wilderness belt". Too many good leather choices to list here. I carry a P7M8 in a FIST #1A Hybrid all summer in shorts/slacks & teeshirt. If I can do it so can you. You have to make some choices with your wardrobe too. Taller teeshirts and bigger belt loops but its no big deal.

I also use the smartcarry holster (google it) when I absolutely can't get anything else to work. Another option is pocket carry. I've got a (flame suite on...) S&W 340PD just for this purpose. Make sure you get a pocket holster if you go this route or you might shoot yourself in the "goodies".

Rightwinger
March 14, 2006, 09:44 PM
See my real problem comes with TUCKABLE holsters....

I can't find anything that works well with a tucked in dress shirt, but the jacket usually accompanying the attire does a great job of concealing.

steelheart
March 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
I carry a full size 1911, Glock 21 or H&K USP45 full size in the summer. How do I conceeal it? Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack!:D

Doug.38PR
March 14, 2006, 10:11 PM
Seems to me guns would be prone to getting hung up under t-shirts and untucked shirts if you were trying to get to it quickly. I had a LEO tell me of such an occurance with a punk who kept his pistol in his waistband under his shirt.

CyberSEAL
March 14, 2006, 11:32 PM
I usually carry a Firestar 9mm, love it, excellent reliable carry piece. Summertime carry seems easiest to me as I'm always dressed casual w/ my shirttails out. I carry IWB, right front lower abdomen. I usually wear a t-shirt under my button-up shirt and tuck it in behind the gun to absorb any sweat that would collect on the pistol.

threegun
March 15, 2006, 07:11 AM
Steelheart, That pack is hugh. I use the typical style like this uncle mikes

http://www.copsplus.com/products/medium/um-8872-1.jpg

Bianchi and blackhawk make cool ones also

http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/4410.jpghttp://www.copsplus.com/products/medium/bh-60wf0.jpg

FirearmFan
March 15, 2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions. I guess its time to do a little shopping. I already have a good belt and decent holster (kramer IWB) The problem is I am 6'3" 228lbs and carry around the 4 - 4:30 mark. The butt of the pistol sticks out a little if I bend over slightly. I am going to try and get flat mag plates and see if that helps fix the situation while I get some new appearal as well.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!

knightkrawler00
March 15, 2006, 01:08 PM
I'm another tall skinny guy, but concealing full size guns isn't an issue. A 1911 with magwell in a Sparks Summer Special II, a spare mag, and a Glock 17 in the cheap plastic Glock holster, all on a Sparks belt hides very well under just an untucked t-shirt that is one size too big. Darker colors work the best. I started carrying this way when I began helping a friend with a beginner's level defensive handgun course. I could show an IWB and an OWB, FBI cant and straight drop, and also that concealing guns isn't that difficult with a little thought and preperation. It amazed me that most in the class never noticed or considered the fact that I may be carrying, even though I was helping out the instructor at a defensive handgun course. The looks on the faces of the students always gets to me when the shirt gets lifted for show and tell time:D . It stands to reason that most of the people out doing whatever in their own little world will never notice anything, even if you are printing a little bit.

Derius_T
March 16, 2006, 01:14 PM
As mentioned before in this thread. If I can't dress around it I don't carry and I don't carry if I'm fairly sure I won't need it.

Forgive me for not remembering who posted this, but WHY in the world would you not carry? I'd rather be uncomfortable or hot in the summer than without my weapon. And how in the hell can you ever be 'fairly sure' you won't need it? Do you have a crystal ball? YOU NEVER KNOW, and have NO WAY TO RELIABLY JUDGE, when and if something is about to happen. PERIOD. People have been shot and killed in CHURCH! Always be prepaired. You never know when fate will decide to make you or yours a victim.....

Rightwinger
March 16, 2006, 08:07 PM
YOU NEVER KNOW, and have NO WAY TO RELIABLY JUDGE, when and if something is about to happen. PERIOD. People have been shot and killed in CHURCH!

Which is why Washington's listing of; "Churches" as a prohibited CCW location, confuses me to this day.

Anthony2
March 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Ares45- Thanks for the tip...I'm 6'3" 145-150lbs and have a very hard time find clothing that fits well, much less that won't print...

Although I have a question:
My job requires at the least: Dress Pants, Dress Shirt, and in most cases a tie. My soon to be CC is a Springfield XD-9 any advice?

It would have to be something that would be suitable for alot of moving, bending, lifting, etc.

rmagill
March 18, 2006, 12:09 AM
Anthony2,

While it may not normally be the best solution, perhaps an ankle holster would work well. You don't have to worry about it printing while you are doing whatever you do at work. The only issue is how accessable the gun would be, but if it is the only thing that won't print, it would be better than nothing.

DonR101395
March 18, 2006, 11:45 AM
I live in FL and carry my G19 in a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. IWB under a t-shirt year round. I will occasionally use a fanny pack if I'm wearing shorts without a belt. i.e. swimtrunks

delta58
March 19, 2006, 05:02 PM
Rightwinger, I use a DeSantis "Tuck This" IWB.
http://www.desantisholster.com/n91.html
I usually wear my shirt open and untucked ala "Miami Vice", but when I have to tuck it in it works pretty well. I have thought about going to the fanny pack, but man I don't know if i can do that. Plus any man I see with a fanny pack makes me think "GUN".

USNavy_233
March 19, 2006, 06:15 PM
Slacks or shorts with a Hawaiian shirt over my IWB holster. Make sure the Hawaiian shirt is nice a loose. No one will notice because after all, it's a Hawiian shirt, they're supossed to be loose. And I find that the multiple patterns help break up any possible printing that might occur.

dawg23
March 19, 2006, 07:31 PM
Firearm Fan:

This isn't really as hard as you think.

I carry a Glock 19 and a Comp-Tac paddle (outside the waistband) holster. I am 6'0", 160 lb and it gets as hot and humid down here in South Louisiana as it does almost anywhere in the US.

I used to think I had to wear a button up type shirt with a long shirt tail pulled out. Then I noticed that my younger son (same build, same pistol, same holster) just pulls out the shirt tail of his tee shirt or golf shirt. If he wears a dark or patterned shirt that doesn't hug his waist, the Glock is virtually indetectable. This is what I now wear in the summertime (of course, a dark or patterned buttun up shirt with the tail left out works equally well).

It is VERY helpful to wear a GOOD belt (do a search for 'The Beltman" in North (?) Carolina. It is IMPERATIVE that you get a holster that hugs your waist. Forget the Uncle Mikes and the Fobus for this application. The Blade Tech and the Comp-Tac are MUCH better at fitting snugly.

joneb
March 19, 2006, 11:29 PM
For myself in warm weather I gun down to a J frame snub or ppk size auto. I'm thinking about a NAA .22 mag. sm. s.a. wheel gun ?

Anthony2
March 20, 2006, 12:30 AM
"Plus any man I see with a fanny pack makes me think "GUN"."

I don't see the problem with that...:confused: ...

If BG's used the same logic, then all the tourists would be safe!

fattyhoon
May 28, 2007, 09:59 AM
I carry a HK p2000 year round, via iwb left handed holster slid to the center of y back for right handed draw. never really casued me any problems and is comfortable for all day carry as well as sitting in car or chair.

OJ
May 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/DOGS/P5260001_edited-3.jpg

There's a Colt Government Model 45 in an IWB under that T-shirt that is well concealed.

Distracting logo on the T-shirt helps also. This one states "ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, & FIREARMS SHOULD BE A CONVENIENCE STORE - NOT A GOVERNMENT AGENCY".

Works for me.

:D

Corik Jasra
May 28, 2007, 12:09 PM
Distracting logo on the T-shirt helps also.

I think that monstrosity of a canine in the back seat is distracting enough!

You can always rely on that trusty Colt Government model if feeding the bad guys to your pet somehow fails :D

OJ
May 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE][I think that monstrosity of a canine in the back seat is distracting enough!
/QUOTE]

HEY !!!

How can you call Charley's sweet and pretty little sister, Katie, a "monstrosity".

Here's big bro-

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/DOGS/P5080011_edited-1.jpg

and - together -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/DOGS/CAMPINGDOGS.jpg

Just to keep my post "on thread", here I am in an Airhead (BMW motorcycle club) sweat shirt concealing the same 1911 Colt 45 - guarding my "family".

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/PA300017_edited.jpg

Hard to know which of my girls is the prettiest.;)

BillCA
May 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
OJ - obviously the one in the blue shirt! :D

Breeder note: One doesn't worry about Mastiffs eating people. Mostly they drown from slobber & drool when pinned down by 180 lbs of playful dog. :p

Summer CCW:
1. A good belt & holster
2. A tucked in t-shirt with some kind of non-gun logo (Team Honda, dog photo, etc.)
3. Unbuttoned short sleeve shirt with non-linear print or pattern.

Notes on your cover garment:

Shirt should reach the pockets of your jeans to cover waist.
Shirts with low pockets near the waist allow carry of a mag or speed strip to keep the wind from lifting it. Also helps you sweep it away when drawing.
Non-Linear patterns (no stripes or simple checks) break up bulges. Linear patterns draw the eye to disrupted lines.
If needed, sew in 2" sections zinc (not lead) wire along the bottom hem on both sides of your shirt to prevent "breezing". Do both sides so it doesn't look odd that only one side rises in the breeze.

T-Shirt carry:
Find a shop that silkscreens logos on T-shirts. Ask them to get you several xtra-long T-shirt in darker colors - black, blue, forest green, etc. Have them silkscreen them with some image or message. Non-gun is preferred. Be sure the message is on the chest to keep eyes up. I like Tiger, Wolf and dog images and messages that make people smile or laugh (then they don't look for a gun).

Insert IWB holster and tuck in shirt. Now raise both arms and stretch. Check appearance in full length mirror & adjust T-shirt evenly. You'll have extra shirt bagging a bit around your middle. The extra-long shirt will keep it tucked in.

Corik Jasra
May 28, 2007, 02:15 PM
Great photos, OJ! I had to bring my wife in to oooo and awwwww at the mastiffs...great dogs :D

Non-Linear patterns (no stripes or simple checks) break up bulges. Linear patterns draw the eye to disrupted lines.

I just checked and this is exactly why one of my shirts poorly conceals the gun grip, the stripes warp a bit. I always wondered what bothered me about that shirt... very neat.

Two suggestions on the Summertime Concealment:

The Bianchi Professional 100 is really comfortable and doesn't require much in the way of clothes to conceal it. Note also that the backing proceeds far higher than the lip of the holster. It really prevents the gun from digging into your side. Quite comfortable:
http://www.copsplus.com/products/large/100.jpg

And then the Kangaroo Concealed Carry:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/09/kangaroo2AFP_468x693.jpg

Ooopsy, wrong photo. Here it is:
http://www.gunblast.com/images/Kangaroo/MVC-011F.jpg

I am ambivalent about the Kangaroo. It works quite well, but I would feel a lot more safe if I had the holster pouch molded to the weapon. You can conceal in anything, even a t-shirt and speedo =p, assuming your grip is not too sizable (otherwise it will print). If you are interested, Gunblast had an in depth article on it.

kcshooter
May 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry c+l on the belt in a Desantis #85 holster. I wear a "wife-beater" t-shirt under a logo tshirt which I have a tendency to wear a little tighter than most people. I hate IWB carry, I'm only comfortable with a belt holster (belly band or ankle carry only as a last resort). I'm 6' and 165, 32" waist. I usually print. Sometimes more than others. But recently I've been paying more attention to how I print and how it affects others around me since I got into a discussion about this with a buddy. Know what I've found?
Nobody notices you're printing as much as you do. Actually, most people never notice a thing no matter how obvious it is. If they see a bulge, most people think "cellphone" and ignore it.
How do I carry in the summer? As comfortably as possible!

wayneinFL
May 28, 2007, 02:48 PM
Winter and summer, 99% of the time I'm carrying a S&W j frame snubby in the pocket of my cargo shorts. If I really feel the need to carry anything, I usually carry my glock in a Sidearmor IWB holster, under a Hawaiian shirt or any other shirt that's dark or has some pattern to minimize the print. I think any gun will print on anybody, through any shirt, but as long as no one is looking for a gun, a pattern or dark color will usually hide it enough no one will notice.

I remember when I first started carrying, I got the jitters- felt like everyone was looking at me. It look a little while to realize no one is realling watching.

OJ
May 28, 2007, 04:00 PM
Breeder note: One doesn't worry about Mastiffs eating people. Mostly they drown from slobber & drool when pinned down by 180 lbs of playful dog.

That's certainly true - their defense strategy is "DROWN'EM IN DROOL". "Little" sis Katie was 187# nine months ago at the vet's and big bro was 202# - playing with them can be nearly as hazardous to your structural integrity as being attacked by smaller dogs.;)

drinks
May 28, 2007, 08:58 PM
For those of us who have almost the same dimensions for height and circumference, Haband sells an elastic waist band style of khaki pants in a bunch of sizes, the cut is full and the right front pocket not only has a watch pocket the .22 mini revolvers will fit in , out of sight, but a second pocket well down in the pocket, for change, I suppose, that is a fine holster for Kel Tecs, Cobras and even airlite snubbies.
I am 67 x 48, wear a T shirt with those pants and all 3 guns named will not show in anything but a full sit position.:)

Mortech
May 28, 2007, 09:20 PM
I wear a Bladetech IWB kydex holster with my M&P40 all year round with a short sleeve Dickie workshirt untuck and unbutton as a cover garment . Only a few days a year does it ever get really cold enough that I used a heavy coat over it all or hot enough that I can't wear this outfit then I just go with my S&W 3913 under an untucked tshirt .

Slideman
May 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
I've been a fanny pack guy since I began making my own to get wallet and gear out of my pockets. I liked mine better than store-bought when they first came out. Now that I added a Glock 32 to my regular freight, I buy one with a pocket for it too.

I doubt many non-law-enforcement types think I'm packing a firearm and probably over half of them don't either ... I don't much care anyway. Some guys tell me I would be too slow on the draw ... one second VS two seconds might be significant, but I'm armed and the complainers usually have to call a "time out" so they can go home and get their gun out of their safe.

I have an IWB, but rarely use it. I'm reading all this stuff here and may be trying some of it this summer.

John28226
May 29, 2007, 07:49 AM
We have two seasons here - warm and hot! When I decided that living in the 8th most dangerous city in the country meant I had to be prepared - I changed my wardrobe somewhat.

Spent the money for some really quality belts - now have five (5) in assorted colors including one from Beltman with the taper at the front for Sunday dress; tried a bunch of holsters - settled on several which I use as suitable for what I carry - most are IWB which I like at about 4:30 position. Like my Milt Sparks Watch Six and my Crossbreed for my revolver - the Tucker Texas Heritage for my Glock.

Went on a diet and lost some weight - now all of my pants fit when I carry - a few are actually a little loose but I can live with that. Went to Steve & Berry's University Sportsware (a national chain) and to Goody's (smaller chain) and bought some print shirts with square bottoms - designed to be worn "untucked". Bought a few extra large sweatshirts for those cooler nights. Both stores are "discount type" with pretty cheap prices.

I check every clothing item carefully for suitability - length for the shirts and lightweight jackets. pants for beltloop size to accomodate the 1.5 inch belt. Even bought a vest - be careful here some are cut way too short to cover even IWB.

If you change your wardrobe and wear suitable "carry clothing" even when you go places where you can't carry - pretty soon people who know you will become accustomed to seeing you dress that way and think nothing of it. Everyone else thinks nothing of it anyway.

Hope this helps,

John
Charlotte, NC (AKA Mayberry)

Stevie-Ray
May 29, 2007, 02:59 PM
KelTec P32 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Always. Better than not carrying when tank-tops and shorts are the norm, and BUG when warmer dress allows the primaries.

Also, when vacationing, I have a leather fanny pack that has a built-in holster, perfect for my G26.

dyoun06
May 29, 2007, 03:01 PM
Holster Shirt V-Neck

http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dlrID=511&dept=3&number=40021

Works great and is comfortable.

V-fib
May 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
Smartcarry if all I'm wearing is a pair of shorts or swimsuit. Otherwise Fist ultra thin Kydex k-8 IWB. My carry is a S&W 642. :cool:

bisley7
May 29, 2007, 03:24 PM
Summertime brings out my Colt Mustang PocketLite and either in the front pocket of my Wrangler relaxed fit jeans, or in a IWB with a untucked shirt. Sometimes with a KelTec 32 with the carrying clip on the waistband or the cargo pocket of my shorts.

W Turner
May 29, 2007, 04:11 PM
Alloy framed j frame when I am going the lightest I possibly can.

Usually I have my Fatboy Jumbo on me with a full size pistol of one flavor or another.

I got this bag for my birthday and never really feel self conscious about carrying it. My philosophy is pretty simple. I am 30 years old, been married for 10 years, got two kids under age 3. "Cool" or any semblance thereof went out the window a while back. Effective is my new priority.

I can usually conceal a gov't. model with an oversized t shirt. Works for me.

W

Trisha
May 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
I waited a decade before taking the leap and buying my firse IWB kydex from Gunner's Alley:

http://www.gunnersalley.com/c=bwqyMHCeU4eU3i4vGAeg9YVz9/product/GCODEIWB

I bought the Commander size, and am delighted and no little astonished with the fit and comfort. This one holster covers two of the primary CCW choices Kathryn and I make, depenent on situation and attire - but with anything that can take a good belt and a good untucked tee from Land's End or a polo and we're good to go without a concern.

The folks at Gunner's Alley seem to be on top of their customer service, wholeheartedly recommended!

Later this summer I'm planning on a G36 and a KL Null inverted shoulder rig to wear with dressier clothes!

Trisha