PDA

View Full Version : Suppose you are being shot at in a parking lot

Doug.38PR
March 10, 2006, 10:59 PM
Suppose you are being shot at in a parking lot or near your car parked somewhere. The shooter is from quite a distance (say 50-75 yards away). What is the most ideal part of the car to take cover behind?

The door? (I understand high powered rifles and even .357 magnums can penetrate doors)

The Engine bock?

The truck?

rmagill
March 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
Engine block. It provides the most amount of mettle to stop a bullet, and is convieniently above/near the front tire.

Capt Charlie
March 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
See the April issue of S.W.A.T. ;) .

Blackwater OPS
March 11, 2006, 01:08 AM
Engine block. It provides the most amount of mettle to stop a bullet, and is convieniently above/near the front tire.
That's how I was trained.

mete
March 11, 2006, 05:49 AM
To penetrate two wheels and an engine takes more than most BGs usually carry !!No handgun will do it . A 50 BMG might.:rolleyes:

threegun
March 11, 2006, 05:52 AM
Get down and go the other way. If the shooter advances faster than you can retreat, shoot at his feet from under the vehicle. When he falls put some more into him.

atlctyslkr
March 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
Remember to move in a zig zag pattern when you are out from behind cover.

Hayley
March 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
"Remember to move in a zig zag pattern" Atl: did you see the original _The In Laws_ movie? --sorry to digress, but I love that scene.

atlctyslkr
March 15, 2006, 11:41 PM
Yes I have seen it. Just a little dry humor.

That only works if there is one shooter. Doug failed to mention multiple shooters from multiple angles in this fictional parking lot we're talking about. What if you're not the original target but become one because you're in the wrong place at the wrong time?

ChrisJ
March 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
If I was near my vehicle I would take cover behind the steering wheel and get heck out of Dodge, at 50 yards if he didn't hit you with the first shot he probably won't hit you doing 80 mph in the opposite direction.

If I am not near my vehicle I would make mad dashes from cover to cover (preferably large engine blocks) in the opposite direction and as soon as possible dial 911 on my cell phone. If I was armed I would probably not take the time to return fire unless actively pursued.

That is assuming I am alone, add a wife, 4 year old, and a 6 month old strapped in a baby stroller and it opens a whole new can of worms.

- Chris

tjhands
March 16, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hi, ChrisJ and welcome to TFL! :)

Good first post, by the way. 50 to 75 yards is a loooong way for a handgun. Most experienced shooters would have hard time getting a good shot in at that distance under combat stress with a handgun.
I'm with you....get in the car and floor it. :)

Edited to add: A rifle would change my mind, though. I guess taking cover behind the front wheel would be best. As someone else said, with two metal wheels and an engine to go through, nothing short of mortar fire is going to get through to you. If he starts closing the distance, return fire when he moves closer and hope that that disuades him. Of course the whole scenario is rather unlikely, but it's fun to play along.