PDA

View Full Version : groundhog senses

tinman
March 5, 2006, 02:46 PM
Anyone know how good a ghogs senses are? I live in some somewhat hilly terrain and there are 2 inparticular that I'd love to feed the vultures with. They have taken residence just over a knoll and I cannot seem to drop a bead on them. I don't have all day to sit them out, and they seem to know when I'm carrying. The other day I took the dogs out and had just walked within 20yds of the hole when the little sh**s came running out playing.:eek: All I had was my 45acp and I wasn't going to traumitize my wussy dog at a 50yd shot at a moving hog. Been out a couple more times and all I see is dirt.
What gets my goat is that I can stalk hunt deer and turkeys without any problems with shotguns and handguns, but cannot get the fuzzy faced hole digger with a rifle. I've dispached all their brothers and sisters, but their location was easier to get on. The last one thought I didn't see him peeking from behind a big tree, surprise to him when I let the 06 roar.:D :) :D
Enough rambling on, how well can they see, hear, smell and what is the staple diet for one in central Ohio.(wooded, small pasture, no local crops)

shureshot0471
March 5, 2006, 02:52 PM
They probaly can hear you comming when you walk because they are Burroring anmiuals all I can say is sit back and wait.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Capt Charlie
March 5, 2006, 03:03 PM
Anyone know how good a ghogs senses are?
Purty darned good! Like most open area prey animals, they're tuned to see movement at great distances. Their hearing isn't too shabby either, but I use that to my advantage. I've found that a "silent" dog whistle will make 'em stand up nicely for me to take the shot. Almost any high pitched whistle will do it too. I'm not sure, but I think maybe it sounds like a bird of prey and they stand to spot it.

Groundhogs or "Whistle Pigs", as we sometimes call 'em around here, are one of the few critters I still regularly hunt. Groundhog holes and horses just don't mix :( . Besides that, young groundhog properly done up is mighty tasty :D .

I've never had any luck walkin' & stalkin'. Best thing is park yourself on a hilltop overlooking prime 'chuck territory, set up a lawn chair with a cooler full of Pepsi beside it, and wait :D .

rapier144
March 5, 2006, 04:42 PM
Don't tell anyone but they have E.S.P.;) There's even one that can tell you how much winter is left! He's in Pennsylvania i think.

Scorch
March 16, 2006, 08:24 PM
I'll agree with the Capt. Find a spot early in the morning. Sit and wait. When they come out, they're yours.
I'll have to wait to say whether they taste good . . .

tinman
March 17, 2006, 10:34 PM
scratch one of them. Took it out with a 17HMR. I went walking through the woods and came across a good dozen active holes. Guess I better take a day and take care of buisness. The 30-06 with 130gnHP's should do the trick.

Eghad
March 17, 2006, 11:37 PM
I know ground hogs like fermented cherry juice :D Nothing worse than a bunch of drunken Ground Hogs...

dmented692006
March 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
ive had ground hogs like that before, i had some under my shed last summer. they were digging the foundation out from under my shed so i had to get rid of them. i got all but one of them, the last one would run at the slightest noise so one day i went out and found all of his holes and blocked them with big rocks except for one, then a i threw a gopher bomb down the open hole and just waited till he came out and i popped him with a 410 slug.