PDA

View Full Version : Liberian Militia Assault Tactics

zippyfusenet
February 17, 2006, 08:03 AM
I have to share this. Any comment by me would be superfluous:

http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/archives/002718.html

High Planes Drifter
February 17, 2006, 08:29 AM
I've seen that one before, always makes me laugh. Watched the special on it on Discovery Times, "Liberia, Uncivil War." Whats up with the life preserver?:D

kirkcdl
February 17, 2006, 08:43 AM
Also of note,in the photo titled thusly-"Firing from the hip while putting on the best "Game Face" and bellowing like an Ox - note the camouflage pants! (Also note the photographer in the background taking this joker's picture. Yeah, I trust them when journalists say they only report the news and don't create it.)"-note the "Sewer Rat Exterminator Stance" being demonstrated in the background...:D

Mikeyboy
February 17, 2006, 08:55 AM
www.theboxotruth.com should do a test to see if life vest are bullet proof. A majority of these guys are not soldiers, they are just hoodlums with no training, hopped up on cot. It is just like the guys in Somalia, how do you think around 80 Army rangers were able to hold back an entire city, a small percentage of the militia had military training (that is how they were able to shoot down the Blackhawks), but the majority were cot junkies.

Apple a Day
February 18, 2006, 01:40 PM
Lots of guys with red/pink. Is that a gang/political indication color done in the absence of uniforms? Anybody know?

owen
February 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
Other cultures aren't going to have the same color associations anglos do.

For instance, where red means stop or no go to us, red is lucky to the chinese. A red warning light wouldn't automatically mean something is wrong to a chinese technician.

As a sidenote, this has lead NASA to create control panels with culture neutral control panels. A Chinese astronaut may now tweak on a red warning light as fast as he needs to.

My understanding is that the Africans are wearing bright colors to appear as scary as possible. I think it's Ivory Coast were the various militias dress as women, and wear neon colored wigs.

rapier144
February 18, 2006, 02:28 PM
When he heard life preserver maybe he thought it would stop bullets and preserve his life?;) Boy wouldn't it be nice if all enemies of the U.S.A was this bright.

Easy E
February 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
I seem to remember reading something about this. Wearing outlandish clothing, costumes, even cross-dressing had to do with old superstitions. It was something along the lines of " If death doesn't recognize you, he cant take you."

rapier144
February 18, 2006, 05:05 PM
So thats the difference between cover and concealment.:D

zippyfusenet
February 18, 2006, 05:21 PM
rapier144: Boy wouldn't it be nice if all enemies of the U.S.A was this bright.

Actually, I think these are our allies.

jrfoxx
February 18, 2006, 06:47 PM
I cant seem to find the article I read on the whole bright color and outlandish dress thing in regards to this culture, but the article stated that fighters would do it to 'stand out' and thus be recognized by thier peers easier during acts of bravery or heroism, thus increasing their, or (in the event of the fighters death), their families reputation, fame, status, etc

jrfoxx
February 18, 2006, 06:49 PM
I cant seem to find the article I read on the whole bright color and oulandish dress thing in regards to this culture, but the article stated that fighters would do it to 'stand out' and thus be recognized by their peers easier during acts of bravery or heroism, thus increasing their, or (in the event of the fighters deat), their families reputation, fame, status, etc. Still darn funny to me no matter what the reasoning. :)

Koz
February 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
One marine sniper could take over that entire country :D

Blackwater OPS
February 20, 2006, 03:49 PM
One marine sniper could take over that entire country

I could take over that entire country, with a sharp pointed stick.:eek:

Seriously though, you guys are just jealous because these guys don't have any gun laws to worry about! ;)

stevensc
February 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
Most of the "militias" over there are nothing but a bunch of uneducated and untrained kids with nothing else to do. They are handed an AK-47 which are all over the place there and are good to go.
Once I was in Mozambique in a car following a military truck along a bumpy road, a young "soldier" was sitting on a bench in the back of the truck. His AK was standing between his knees, the butt on the truck bed, he had his thumb over the muzzle and was dozing with his chin resting on the thumb over the muzzle. I kept expecting to see his brains (if he had any) fly out the top of his head like St. Helens erupting. But like they say, God protects fools and he had a nice uneventful nap.
Steve

LICCW
February 20, 2006, 10:00 PM
I'm definitely going to the range wearing a life preserver, orange clam diggers, carrying an AK and a feather duster. I can't wait to see everyone's reaction. Someone might shoot me though.

Crosshair
February 22, 2006, 01:15 AM
Anyone have the link to the thread on AR-15.com?

squrm
February 22, 2006, 02:23 AM
Hey liccw, don't forget to make sure the pants are 3 sizes too small capri's.

drifts1
February 22, 2006, 09:43 PM
Laughing my a$$ off! I loved the homeless anti-aircraft gunner:p

CarlosDJackal
February 22, 2006, 10:34 PM
Kinda explains why nobody has won that conflict, doesn't it? :eek:

Billy Sparks
February 23, 2006, 08:01 AM
I could take over that entire country, with a sharp pointed stick.

I doubt it. Everytime someone posts these pictures someone points out that one marine/solider what ever could wipe every one of them out. Remember Somlia and Blackhawk Down? One of the quotes from that book that has stuck with me is that we play ball games for recreation they have gun fights. You have people that are high on the narcotic of choice and really do not care if they die or not and have fought since the age of 8. I would not want to face them without a brigade of Marines as backup.

roscoe
February 23, 2006, 04:29 PM
Also, as one poster to that site mentioned: I have seen plenty of footage from VietNam of our guys doing the same thing. Emptying a magazine over a sandbag without looking, that sort of thing. I am quite sure that there are guys there who know how to shoot. After all, a lot of them get killed.

To quote a THR sig line: the plural of anecdote is not data, and what you had here was a few visual anecdotes.

kymasabe
February 23, 2006, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure but I think life preserver dude is wearing an oven mit too !! :eek:

Eddystone1917
February 26, 2006, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure but I think life preserver dude is wearing an oven mit too !!

It may look stupid, but it's a pretty good way to prevent burning your hands on the barrel while going full blast.Its amazing how people who dont know a thing about guns can finds so many ways to shoot them.

Heist
February 26, 2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.muzzleflash.biz/media/holiday.html ;)

My own lil dip into the world of creating viral marketing videos.

GLOCK21
March 7, 2006, 11:48 PM
That is true about Somolia, gun fighting is their national pastime. Them skinny bastards would start to eat that cot after morning prayer and eat it until afternoon prayer. They were higher than a kite by 1200. The warlords would give it to them and an AK. If they wanted the dope they had to handle a gun for the milita. Everyone wanted to level the city or the whole country on Oct 6, but CLINTON got scared for his political career and pulled us out about a month later. That place is a pice of crap and alwaws will be. The largest small arms market in Africa.