PDA

View Full Version : Ithaca 37 Muzzle Damage

Badger Arms
July 3, 2000, 03:20 PM
Hello. My Ithaca 37 was damaged in shipping. the muzzle hit the pavement after FEDEX dropped the box. It dented the muzzle in. Pictures are available at www.geocities.com/asams10/pictures (http://www.geocities.com/asams10/pictures)
How can the damage be repaired without refinishing the gun. I'm thinking there is a mandrel of some sort to straighten the dent out and then truing up the muzzle. Any ideas?

Aaron

Gunslinger
July 3, 2000, 09:20 PM
If I'm reading this corectly and if the stock damage in the photos was also a result of FedEx's mishandeling it appears to me they owe you a new scattergun!

------------------
Gunslinger

beemerb
July 3, 2000, 10:15 PM
What gunslinger says.They had better!

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain

Badger Arms
July 3, 2000, 10:32 PM
Unfortunately, you cannot buy a parkerized riot Ithaca 37 anymore. I just want a working gun, and yes, they do owe me full replacement value. Bummer to ruin such a good gun though.

Gopher
July 4, 2000, 12:09 AM
Make them replace it and have the old one repaired. Was that in a plane crash or did they drop it off a 4 story building? 37's are too sweet to screw up like that.

George Stringer
July 4, 2000, 10:05 AM
Badger, you have at least 3 options here. 1) a smith can make a tapered mandrel to straighten the dent or 2) A smith could face off the damaged area and 3) Brownells, www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) sells a shotgun muzzle facing tool that you could use to face off the muzzle to get rid of the damaged area. Either way FedEx I'm sure will pay the bill. But I wouldn't expect them to give you a new gun. George

Badger Arms
July 4, 2000, 03:46 PM
I think I'll go the way of the mandrel. I could get a local machine shop to do the work for me instead of a smith... they cost more. All it it takes is a few minutes on the lathe. I don't want to face it off too much because the magazine is RIGHT there. I'll buy the facing tool and get a tapered cone made to force through the barrel. Might regulate it a little but it's not a slug gun anyhow. Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that.

HankL
July 4, 2000, 06:32 PM
What are you going to do about the stock?

Badger Arms
July 4, 2000, 11:08 PM
I've got a few spares actually. I'm going to use bailing wire and cardboard to close the split on some epoxy. Then I'll refinish it and keep it for a spare. I've got a gun that spent a few weeks in the rain that I had parkerized. The stock was toast on that one. Should work well on it. I do know that Brownells sells stocks for it but I don't need a new one.