PDA

View Full Version : Bolt hard to open on Howa

Mesa
March 2, 2000, 08:29 PM
I have a Howa Lightning in .308 and once in a while (say 1 in 15 shots), the bolt will be difficult to open after a round is fired. The brass ejects fine once I open the bolt. Any ideas why this happens?

George Stringer
March 2, 2000, 11:29 PM
Mesa, if you're reloading you might be loading a few rounds a little hot. But, assuming you are using factory ammo, I'd say your rifle is just on the edge of the go/no-go headspace limit. Are there flattened primers, shiny ring around the base, anything that might point to a pressure problem? George

Mesa
March 3, 2000, 06:31 PM
They are all factory rounds. I have about 700 fired cartidges and I looked at several boxes worth. I don't see any flatend primer or shiny rings on any of them.

cjb
March 3, 2000, 11:05 PM
They wouldn't happen to be Remington's would they? (ammo)
CJB

George Stringer
March 3, 2000, 11:16 PM
Mesa, I'd have the headspace checked just to be sure. I can't think of anything else that would cause this right off hand. George

Mesa
March 3, 2000, 11:23 PM
Yes they are Remington rounds.

cjb
March 4, 2000, 05:42 PM
This may have nothing to do with YOUR problem, but here it goes... I had a call last year ( right before deer season) in Nov. from a customer that had your same problem with a 700 Rem. I told him to bring in the gun, and some cases, and ammo. He forgot the cases and ammo. I had no problems with the rifle using Federal's. I checked EVERYTHING that I could think of, and cleaned the rifle well. I told him what I came up with, and he shot 3 or 4 different brands the next day with NO problems. A few weeks later I got another call from a guy with a model 70... same problem, He told me he was using Remington ammo. I told him to try something else and call me back. He called an hour later and said it worked fine.
Over the last year, I have had probably 10 people call with the same problem. I don't know what your rifle's problem is, but I would try something else!!! Maybe Remington released a bad "batch" of ammo.... I have heard of this before from a diferent company.
Let us (me) know what you make out, Thank you! Hope you get it fixed!!!
CJB