PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 1911 drop-in beavertail safety

Dave in SC
February 29, 2000, 05:20 PM
I have a Colt Series 80 Gov't Enhanced that I wanted to put a higher ride beaveratil safety on. I did not want to have to cut the frame so I ordered a drop-in for Wilson Combat (part #429SC). I was told by the WC rep. that it should drop in and if not there are easy to follow instructions included to make it fit. It does not drop-in and there are no instructions. Has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any advice on what to do to make it fit? Thanks.

Big George
March 1, 2000, 12:19 PM
I'll bet a call to Wilson will help solve your problem! They are good folks...

RickB
March 1, 2000, 12:38 PM
I put one in my pre-enhanced Delta, and I not only had to slightly open up the frame, but had to reduce the thickness of the "finger" that performs the safety function - filing on the outside until it didn't rub. It certainly wasn't a drop-in, but it now fits better than the stock part did.

Mal H
March 1, 2000, 01:46 PM
Let's move this to George Stringer's Smithy forum. Look for it there....

George Stringer
March 1, 2000, 08:19 PM
Dave, as Rick pointed out "drop-in" parts rarely drop in. Even in their advertising on these safeties Wilson states that minor fitting may be required. If you'll tell me how it's not fitting maybe I can help you. Is it just not going into the frame or does it not engage/disengage, etc. George

HankL
March 1, 2000, 08:52 PM
It's sort of like Plug and Play. I call it Plug and Pray. Better yet, "Micro Fit" stocks!
Have fun,
Hank

Dave in SC
March 1, 2000, 11:13 PM
This is my problem:

The safety will fit in the frame.
I can install the mainspring housing, beaveratail safety, and the hammer.
When I try to install the thumb safety, it will not go all the way in place and locks the trigger in place (will no longer move).
I reinstalled the factory beavertail and everything worked fine so I figured I was not doing something wrong. For some reason, it will not allow the thumb safety to go all the way in and also locks the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

George Stringer
March 1, 2000, 11:54 PM
Dave, your finger needs a little fitting. No not your finger; the safety's finger. I'll e-mail you a diagram showing how this is done. Use a small file and just a few strokes at a time. A lot of file a little and try it will be involved. George

Dave in SC
March 4, 2000, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the advice and help. I think it works. I will have to try it out at the range next weekend.