Dr.Rob
March 1, 2000, 12:39 PM
I was perparing to shoot a match the other day and when the safty officer said
load and make ready i snapped a 30 round magazine into my rifle and pointed it
safely downrange and the went to charge the chamber. I pulled the bolt back and
let it slam forward (as you are supposed to) and KABOOM it went OFF. Fingers
were to where near the trigger. I have NEVER had an accidental discharge of ANY
weapon, much less a 5.56mm semiauto rifle. It did NOT continue to fire. I safed
the rifle and unloaded it and was susequently DQ'ed from the rifle match.
Bummer.

My mak90 has been known to double on occasion, but ONLY when I'm using a 5
round magazine.

So, what can cause this sort of malfunction?? Is the firing pin sticking?? (I
thought the 223 rifles had a spring loaded pin). Is this 'soft " primers (this is 223
55 grain venator commercial reloads) or another problem altogether??

Before I take it to the smith I'd like to have some idea of what's POSSIBLY wrong
with the gun.

Dr.Rob

Oleg Volk
March 1, 2000, 01:09 PM
In an SKS that would happen if gunk is in the firing pin channel and the pin is further forward than it should be. A high primer would yield the same effect. I am under impression that Mak90 and Garand are similar in that regard (not certain though). That, to me is a compelling argument for deteachable magazines -- don't have to chamber a round on loading as with stripper clips. I keep my rifles cruiser-ready for that reason.

[This message has been edited by Oleg Volk (edited March 02, 2000).]

George Stringer
March 1, 2000, 08:15 PM
Dr. Rob, to add to what Oleg said, it could be the firing pin sticking. Sometimes firing pin holes will peen shut a little, the firing pin could be bent or the firing pin spring could be weak or broken. There are a number of reasons a gun will slamfire and it will be process of elimination for your gunsmith. George

Dr.Rob
March 2, 2000, 05:01 PM
Ok the Pin IS spring loaded.. and clean as far as I can tell the pin does not appear bent or the spring worn. Still, I'll take it to the smith to be certain.

Thanks guys,

Dr.Rob

hawkgt
March 3, 2000, 04:44 PM
Dr.Rob,

I've read that there is that possibility with AK and their variants. I removed the bolt from my MAK90 and push the firing pin forward. When I let go it stayed there. From the manuals I've looked at there is no spring, which pushes/pulls the firing pin back into the bolt after the hammer has struck it. I believe that the idea is as the bolt slides forward, the pin doesn't move right away and the bolt "covers" the pin.

I also faintly remember about there being a modification which will allow a spring to be inserted and only allow the pin to move forward when it is struck/pushed forward. It might be an entire replacement for the bolt.

just my quick 2 cents