PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 pronunciation

slystad810
January 11, 2006, 06:08 AM
Why is it pronunced ought six instead of oh six?

Blue Heeler
January 11, 2006, 06:20 AM
That must be a local variation. It is, undoubtedly, Thirty Oh Six.

Balloo
January 11, 2006, 07:05 AM
Wouldnt it be Thirty zero six instead of Thirty O six?

Polydorus
January 11, 2006, 07:08 AM
Ought __ was the way people referred to dates between 1901 and 1909. But hey, that was last century! :)

Quickdraw Limpsalot
January 11, 2006, 07:37 AM

Not in Kentucky! It's "ought" to everyone around here.

Ohio Annie
January 11, 2006, 07:48 AM
"Ought" is an old name for zero, as is "naught" for nothing.:)

not for nothing,
Annie

Mal H
January 11, 2006, 10:00 AM
"That must be a local variation. It is, undoubtedly, Thirty Oh Six."

Not in Kentucky!Not in Virginia either. I've never heard it called anything but "Thirty aught six".

I would have thought the Aussies would have used 'aught' for zero in old dates as well. Maybe not. On the other hand, AFAIK we don't use aught in current dates. Most people aren't saying things like "this year is aught six". The year is usually stated in its entirety "two thousand and six" or abbreviated "o six".

siotwo
January 11, 2006, 10:01 AM
Kind o like a double-naught spy!

Jethero Bodine

Long Path
January 11, 2006, 10:28 AM
"Caliber .30, model 1906" has been shortened to ".30-'06", or "Thirty-Aught-Six." It is correct that many back in the early part of the last century did use the term "aught" for zero, but "Oh" and "Zero" were certainly used plenty. Just witness the direct parent of the .30-'06 cartridge, the "Caliber .30, model 1903"; it is often called the "thirty-oh-three" or simply the "'oh three" cartridge. My Springfield "Rifle, Caliber .30, Model 1903" is generally referred to as an "Oh Three Springfield", rather than an "Aught Three."

Why?

Because life is fun. :D

Reference: Book Of The Springfield, E.C. Crossman (c) 1930, Hatcher's Notebook, J. Hatcher

deolexrex
January 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
In central IL we say, "ought".

azredhawk44
January 11, 2006, 10:51 AM
I was really looking forward to this year, so I can remember things that happen and then in another 40 years when I am talking to my grandkids I can say pithy things, like: "I remember back in aught-six when we finally stopped illegal immigration," or other major things that can happen. As long as I can say "I remember back in aught-six..."

I don't think it is a dead coloquialism...

jacobtowne
January 11, 2006, 11:10 AM
Aught or ought is a perfectly correct expression for zero. "Oh" is not, since it is a letter, rather than a number.
End of grammar lesson.:)
JT

kingudaroad
January 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
What year is this, 20 ought 6?

gb_in_ga
January 11, 2006, 12:18 PM
I've never heard it called anything other than "thirty aught six" or just an "aught 6" for short. Whoever would call it anything else than what it is? I mean, if you go calling it something else, you'll get some funny looks around here or back home in Tx -- kinda like if you'd grown a 3rd eye in the middle of your forehead or something.

It is just like what you would call a 2/0 fishhook -- it is a "two aught", not a "two O" or a "two zero". It's just the way it is. Call it anything else, and you'd have just demonstrated that you are either a complete noobie or that you just aren't from anywhere even remotely close to here.

Eghad
January 11, 2006, 12:50 PM
if you said thirty-0-six you would just confuse people and they would ask ya what street that address was on you are looking for.

Gunner_Cade
January 11, 2006, 01:00 PM
Dang....I've always thought it was pronounced "thirty-odd-six" :rolleyes:

jacobtowne
January 11, 2006, 01:26 PM
"What year is this, 20 ought 6?"

Exactly.
JT

Pointer
January 11, 2006, 02:20 PM

You are UNDOUBTEDLY guessing...

The word "ought" is an archaic term used in place of the word "zero"...

The word "naught" is the original word, but it was used more to express ]"nothing"[/I]... such as;

"It was all for naught."

It was still in use well into the 20th century...
Thus it was the name of the 1906 version of the .30 cal Springfield.

Dictionaries were also in extensive use in those days... :D :D :D :p

Chris Phelps
January 11, 2006, 02:26 PM
Just my added .02 cents...

I work as a car audio installer. 0 guage wire (the biggest you can buy) is also refered to as 'aught guage'.

oh, how wrong you are. But indeed, this is just beating a dead horse at this state in the thread.

Mal H
January 11, 2006, 02:50 PM
"oh, how wrong you are."

Not necessarily. As I pointed out (or at least implied), English usage of the term 'aught' may be completely different downunder than it is here in the states. Just as we can't say those from the UK spell the word 'color' incorrectly, even though they do. :D

bazilla
January 11, 2006, 03:43 PM
Never heard anyone call 30-06 anything other than "thirty ought six." Same thing goes for buckshot. I keep my 12 ga loaded with "double ought" buckshot. If somebody said "double oh buckshot," I'd probably respond "double oh who?"

As for 30-06, this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30-06) makes the "aught/ought" pronunciation "official" I should think. :)

armd_rt_wingr
January 11, 2006, 03:51 PM
Who cares? .308s are better anyhow. (three-oh-eights):D

support_six
January 11, 2006, 04:01 PM
Mal H, when I lived in Britain and Australia, I was told I misspelled the word colour and Programme! Even "your" dictionary indicates both spellings.

It's been "thirty aught six" everywhere I've lived.

30Cal
January 11, 2006, 04:16 PM
It's pronounced "aught-six" in every state I've lived in, or "thirty caliber" amoung the really old-timers.

Ty

Pointer
January 11, 2006, 04:31 PM
Dang....I've always thought it was pronounced "thirty-odd-six"

How very odd! :D

Perhaps it is "Double Odd Buckshot?? :p

Very odd, old chap, very odd indeed! :D

Iam very awed by the whole thing. ;)

SMITH910
January 11, 2006, 04:42 PM
What year is this, 20 ought 6?

LOL.

Everyone in Wisconsin says thirty aught six, 2 hours ago a guy and I was talking and that's how he pronounced it. However, I've always called it Thirty -Oh- six.

Mike Irwin
January 11, 2006, 06:00 PM
Pennsylvania, where I grew up, was the same.

.30 AUGHT 6.

Harley Quinn
January 11, 2006, 06:09 PM
It's interesting when in the various circles, It could have been easily called the 3 double ought 6:p

I believe you can find it, called all of the ones we have been talking about.
I can hear the discussion now by the old men who can not hear any more because they shot to many of them in WWI and WWII:D

Harley

Autolite
January 11, 2006, 08:22 PM
I believe that the correct modern terminology is "7.62mm aught 6" ...

2rugers
January 11, 2006, 08:37 PM
I doan know how "YA'LL" pronounce it, but I know it sounds like this aroun' here: Dang, whadja shoot 'm with? Well, my "thurddyn'awtsix" uh corse. As it should be.:D

Blue Heeler
January 12, 2006, 03:46 AM
I understand what y'all are saying. And, I believe it is your right (maybe even duty) to live in the past. Lets face it, things were better then. As far as I'm concerned I like the old spellings - color does me just fine. The colour preferred by the English is just a sop to the French who love to stick 'u's into everything. You want 'aught?' Then by all means have it. And, while you are at it, keep feet and inches too, and gallons, and yards, and acres, and pints.
The World is changing too fast and too much. I won't say anything about countries and cities that change their names - it irritates me.

I'm all in favo(u)r of horsepower - they can keep their kilowatts and NM's. Bring back the Nosebag - that's what I say!

Mike Irwin
January 12, 2006, 10:09 AM
"And, I believe it is your right (maybe even duty) to live in the past. Lets face it, things were better then."

Yep, life before antibiotics, polio vaccine, etc., was wonderful!

Imagine how much you could pack into your average 40 to 50 year lifespan! :D

jacobtowne
January 12, 2006, 10:36 AM
"I'm all in favo(u)r of horsepower - they can keep their kilowatts and NM's. Bring back the Nosebag - that's what I say!"

Hear, hear. +1 for that. I still call it an icebox, and that other thingy in the kitchen is a radar range.
Back in the 70s, I shuddered at that orderly procession of meters and liters that was threatening to overtake us.
It's ounces and inches and quarts for me, thank you very much.
JT

FirstFreedom
January 12, 2006, 11:13 AM
My theory: After turn of century (1900), people looked for a shorthand way of saying the year in question, similar to 'back in ninety-eight' (referring to 1898), etc., without having to say "back in nineteen hundred and one..." (too long). So they came up with 'naught-one', 'naught-two', etc., since 'naught' is one synonym for zero/none. Then a lot of stories developed that started "back in naught-two...." or "back in naught-seven.....", etc. Since the "n" at the end of the word "in" in that phrase blends together in speech with the beginning "n" in the following word "naught", people started spelling it like it sounded - "back in naught one" sounds like "back in aught one"; thus the word that sounds like aught. This was 're-spelled' to make it spell more like it sounds phonetically, from 'aught' to 'ought'.

Hence, it is pronounced "thirty ought six" around here (which could also be spelled "thirty ot six" if you like). You could also spell it "thirty aught six" I suppose, but no one does that that I have seen.

Since the word "naught" is not as commonly used today as a synonym for zero, thus far common usage has not adopted the same thing with repect to the 2000-2009 years. So far everyone I know just says "back in two-thousand and one" or "back in Oh-One" or similar.

Mike Irwin
January 12, 2006, 11:34 AM
Well, naught and its variant aught have been in use since at least the middle ages...

Harley Quinn
January 12, 2006, 11:47 AM
Another, what is new? This country has many dialects. But unlike other countries at least we can understand them and be able to enjoy the sound or variation. I find the southern accent to be very pleasent. I like'd the way John F Kennedy talked. His Brother though I am not so sure.

But what is coming out now, 'the hip hop, gansta talk' is in my mind discomforting.:eek:

So it aught naught, get your panties in a k-naught,or so I taught...LOL

Until now. Come on smell the gunpowder and enjoy.:cool:

So Mike is your signature write or rong..LOL

Harley

Pointer
January 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
If you aren't gonna stay with the "thread" subject... at least acknowledge it...

SEE posts #'s - 1, 6, 13, 17, 18 and 35... :rolleyes:

NOTE:

The spelling and pronunciation do not change the meaning and origins...

i.e., Horsepower and Kilowatts are two different ways to measure...

...ought or aught mean the same thing and both spellings are acceptable.

Naught, (Through general usage) has come to mean "nothing". Also acceptable.

I know a German family that started out in the Alsace-Lorraine with their name spelled Kuntz or Koonce.

Then about five generations back, they came to America and the lack of education caused a phonetic change in the spelling to Coons.

Later the "s" was dropped and it became simply Coon.

In the 20's, an "educated" Coon "corrected" it to Kuhn.

In the 30"s another Kuhn retained the spelling, but changed the pronunciation to "kyoon or cune"...

The people are still members of the same family and all the spellings/pronunciations are acceptable. :p

It ought to be acceptable or exceptible to anyone... :)

If not, it is a big round aught and it is all for naught :D :D :D

Harley Quinn
January 12, 2006, 04:18 PM
I know a kuhen and he is from the same area you are talking about.
But I know naught if he shot the three double ought six, he did have a twelve double ought though and liked it, he is a Winchester man when it comes to shotguns.

Harley

Blue Heeler
January 12, 2006, 07:11 PM
Pointer is probably right to bring us back to the point. A long discussion about semantics or philology is likely to generate more heat than light.

'Aught' and 'ought' both seem archaic to me, and ugly as well. But there are sound reasons for their existence. If the terms are in common use in particular regions and everyone knows what's being talked about, then that's fine. Where you have an 'outsider' (an Australian for example) who sees things a little differently, it's likely that there will be more obvious regional variations in language. Here, everyone says 30 Oh 6. Perhaps it's some attempt at conformity. Like 5 0h Clock.

Anyhow, I don't much care for conformity as a rule (unless it's in agreement with what I think). I'll just have to remember to add these words to my 'understanding what Americans are talking about' notebook.

Slateman
January 12, 2006, 08:54 PM
I've always heard it called "Thirty ought six

Dust_Devil
January 12, 2006, 09:04 PM
I always understood it as Thirty Odd Six and never questioned what it meant. I never owned a 30-06 rifle or bought any 30-06 ammo so I rarely ever had to pronounce it to anyone. Just heard other people say it.

Pointer
January 12, 2006, 09:12 PM
Blue Heeler
5 0h Clock.
It means the fifth hour of the clock.
Hence, 5 O'clock. :)

Ought, aught and naught are covered very nicely in the better dictionaries...

It has come to my attention that this post has been offensive...
I have edited out that portion...

Please accept my apologies for playing with the family name in an insensitive manner. :(

Pointer
January 12, 2006, 09:16 PM
Dust Devil

See posts #16 and #25 on the subject of 30 ODD six... :D

Mike Irwin
January 13, 2006, 02:14 AM
Washington Post is running an ad on radio right now...

Twenty OH six...

They're offering the post in 2006 for $20.06 for some period of time.

Blue Heeler
January 13, 2006, 05:00 AM
I was going to make some further comment about this, but decided against it. The whole thing can stand as it is.

stratus
January 13, 2006, 06:07 AM
It's called a thirty ought six because everyone ought to have at least one of them!

huntatnight
January 13, 2006, 09:44 AM
And it "ought" to stay that way!! :)

Mike Irwin
January 13, 2006, 02:52 PM
"It's called a thirty ought six because everyone ought to have at least one of them!"

Now that's a logical explanation that I can get behind!

Pointer
January 13, 2006, 09:01 PM
+ 1 :)

Samuel2001
January 13, 2006, 10:00 PM
Well, I call it Treinta Cero Seis in Mexican! :p

rallyhound
January 13, 2006, 10:16 PM
I declare that from this point forward in Minnesota it shall be known as the three thousand and six

Samuel2001
January 14, 2006, 03:30 AM
Three thousand and six, Has a nice ring to it. Can I use this moniker in Commiefornia, or is it a Minnesota exclusive? :D

So, can I call my other rifle my two thousand five hundred and six?

Mal H
January 14, 2006, 09:14 AM
Since we're renaming the 30-06 round, and in keeping with it's hundredth anniversary, I've decided to bring it up to the 21st century and translate it to a more commonly used numbering system in the cyberworld - hexadecimal.

The 30-06 will now be "BBE". The E is not to be pronounced separately, so that venerable old round will henceforth be called a "BB gun".

kymasabe
January 14, 2006, 09:24 AM
In NJ I've only ever heard it called thirty-o-six or occasionally thirty-odd-six.

Mike Irwin
January 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
Note to self...

Kick Mal's butt next gunshow...

But, then again, at the next gunshow I'll be seeing if there are any of these for sale...

00101110 00110011 00110000 00101101 00110000 00110110

Cowled_Wolfe
January 16, 2006, 05:07 AM
I'ma stick with my .308 Action Express... ;)

Wolfe.

cracked butt
January 16, 2006, 09:07 AM
Its called 30odd6 in my neck of the woods.

gwalchmai
January 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
Maybe in New Zealand they call it "thirty-Auk-six"...