PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Questions

The Rock
February 7, 2000, 08:22 PM
I am looking to purchase a Savage 10 Tatical Rifle from an individual. I can buy a new rifle for 399. I have been offered a used rifle for 450, but it has been accurized by Dorsey Gunsmiths. Any thoughts on these guys? The gentleman said it has been "Trued receiver/squared and lapped bolt lugs/opened and squared bolt face/new
firing pin spring to get the correct weight/firing pin protrusion
adjusted/new trigger spring/ trigger internals polished/trigger set to a
consistant 2.0 pounds let off."

Is this worth it? Or am I wasting my money and time getting this?

TIA
TR

George Stringer
February 7, 2000, 11:08 PM
TR, I don't have any experience with this particular smith's work but if the work listed was indeed done to the rifle it's a steal. I would expect it to be much more accurate than the new rifle. But, what about the bedding? I would ask that question and if it hasn't been bedded find out how much they would tack on to get it that glass bedded. George

Michael
February 8, 2000, 10:17 PM
Rock and George, I don't know if I'm out of line in posting here, since we're talking about my rifle.
Rock; Paul Dorsey is a retired Shilen gunsmith with his own shop, 6820 Spring Branch Road, Waxahachie, Tx 75167
phone 972-923-1051. Ask about the work done to Mike McDonalds rifle.
George; No bedding work has been done at all. We did change the action screws to something I could put a torque wrench on, which really helped. The rifle has shot some
0.2XX groups from a bench but I don't consider them typical, more luck than anything. 0.4XX is the norm for this rifle.
Don't forget to ad the Blackhawk lace on cheekpiece, Shilen oversized recoil lug, and Michaels 1 1/4 inch military sling to the deal.
Wadda ya think George????

------------------
Either learn to hit what you aim at, or take track lessons.

George Stringer
February 9, 2000, 12:02 AM
Rock, you just can't talk about anybody or their gun behind their back anymore. :-)Michael's groups are proof to me that the work done to the rifle was quality. But let's put it in $$. A used 10 would probably be valued at around $365. In my shop the work that was done to rifle and the extras would come to around $300 (est.). Sounds like to me that Michael is asking $450 for $665.00 worth of gun. Sound right? George

Wallew
February 10, 2000, 12:20 PM
George,
I do that kind of work also. I think you are at the very least low balling the rifle. More like $750 and up. And why has NO ONE mentioned the type of scope on it, or has it been removed? I KNOW you can't get sub 1/2 MOA groups with iron sights. And if YOU can, let me know.

All of my long distance shooters that I build will do 1/2 MOA. With good ammo, a good shooter and a little patience. And all of them have all the work above mentioned, plus bedding, plus a Schilen NM barrel to boot. All of mine sell for more that $1500, depending on scope attached to rifle. Jim

Michael
February 11, 2000, 02:09 PM
Wallew, believe me, if I could shoot 0.5moa with iron sights.....EVERYONE would know! As to the scope, Rock said he might be interested w/o the scope so it wasn't mentioned. I shoot it with the scope that came on it, a Redfield 5 Star 3x9x50 with the SN reticle. Just had that rebuilt also, centered, parallax adjusted, regassed, lenses reset in new O rings. Shop didn't fix the scratch on the tube though.....oh well, it was a warranty freebee. BTW, this isn't a serious rifle for me, more of a play toy, accurate, but still a toy.

------------------

weegee
February 13, 2000, 01:27 AM
Rock, if you don't buy it, can I? (Just expressing the desires of all others who've followed this thread). weegee

Michael
February 18, 2000, 12:02 PM
Weegee, Me thinks Rock doesn't want it(the silence is deafening) so it can be yours.

------------------