PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Problem N Frame Smith

haras
January 2, 2006, 10:30 AM
Ok, I know I caused this problem and swear I won't do it again. I've had a couple of stuck case situations (IPSC) and slapped the cylinder pretty hard. Now (when hit hard) sometimes the cylinder slides back a little overcoming the little bump on ther frame designed to keep it on the crane. This is a stainless steel Smith. Does anyone have a recommended gunsmith who can build the hump back and return the gun in a reasonable length of time? Thanks

Dfariswheel
January 2, 2006, 03:44 PM
If this is an older S&W with the small circular cylinder frame lug, the lug is replaceable.

I strongly suggest sending the gun in to S&W.
They have the tools, the skills, and the parts to do it right.

S&W will probably be faster, cheaper, and BETTER than anyone local.
AND you'll be assured of getting it done RIGHT.

BillCA
January 2, 2006, 04:02 PM
+1 on Dfariswheel's suggestion.

The "bump" as you call it, on older S&W's is actually called the "frame lug" and it is a press-fit item. Replacements come looking something like an odd piece of bar stock on the outside and you have file/grind them to the proper shape.

Newer S&W's don't have this component as they now leave a machined ridge down from the recoil shield to below the cylinder opening to perform the same function.

haras
January 2, 2006, 10:57 PM
Dug out my Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual and found my answer on page 66. I can take it from here. Brownells lists the part. Thanks for the advice guys.

haras
January 2, 2006, 11:00 PM
Dug out my Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual and found my answer on page 66. I can take it from here. Thanks for the advice guys.