PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an FFL dealer to change barrels with a serial number?

9mm1033
January 1, 2006, 04:32 PM
Since my Sig P229 has the same serial number on the barrel as the frame, do I have to order a new barrel through a FFL dealer?

mete
January 1, 2006, 04:56 PM
The frame is the'gun' and requires an FFL. Everything else is a 'gun part' ,no FFL required.

MasterPieceArms.com
January 1, 2006, 06:59 PM
You have 230 posts and a Sig 229, I am honestly curious how you arrived at thinking you might need an FFL for a barrel with a serial number. It's true that law is complicated, but I'm always stunned by some of the assumptions I see people make when guns are involved. I get people on a regular basis who ask me how you "change the registration" on a gun, or they assume you need a license to own a gun. I talk to people who assume that my carry permit is that very "license" to own my various guns. We've got a full scale information war on our hands that is made worse by the fact that the government schools don't teach a word of legal education.

Wildalaska
January 1, 2006, 07:09 PM
Good legitimate question 9mm...never hurts to ask rather than just assume you know it all...

In some circumstances, the barrel is the serial numbered part that would require an FFL to transfer...this is mostly found, however on European rifles, and as a consequence, the removal of the barrel would techincally be obliteration of the serial number IF the number is not also stamped somewhere on the reveiver. On a sig pistol however, the barrel is just, as mete told you, a matching part, no legal consequesnces by removing it.

WildnumbersgameAlaska

Handy
January 1, 2006, 10:34 PM
The Ruger .22 pistols have barrels as their "serial numbered part". For auto pistols, that's the only one I can think of that would require an FFL.

Wildalaska
January 1, 2006, 10:38 PM
Actually the number is on the barrel extension so the barrel can be removed from the extesion which is the serial numbered par..

Same as a Broomie.....

WildasirecallAlaska

Handy
January 1, 2006, 10:48 PM
I wasn't aware that removing the MKII barrel from the extension was really a practicable proposal. I had thought the finish machining of the extension happened after the barrel was installed, making subsequent barrel installation extremely painful, and not really done.

Handy
January 1, 2006, 10:49 PM
I wasn't aware that removing the MKII barrel from the extension was really a practicable proposal. I had thought the finish machining of the extension happened after the barrel was installed, making subsequent barrel installation extremely painful, and not really done.

Wildalaska
January 1, 2006, 11:00 PM
I think they can be changed, sort of like a Luger

WildspecialtoolsAlaska

DiplomaticBlackHawk
January 2, 2006, 12:24 AM
I would have to agree with alaska , they must be removable just on the basis that everyone and their brother sells a aftermarket barrel.never needed to change mine but good question for another post.

saands
January 2, 2006, 06:16 AM
WOW! You learn something EVERY day if you pay enough attention :D Here's a quote from the "Parts Booklet" for the MkII found on Ruger's site at http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/C2.pdf
Because it is a serial-numbered component, the Automatic Pistol Barrel-Receiver Assembly is defined as a “firearm” by Federal Law and is not sold as a separate component. The Barrel-Receiver of the Ruger Mark II autoloading Pistol is an integrated assembly, therefore, the barrel alone is not available as a separate component part.

That seems to say it pretty clearly, and all this time I thought that I had the ability to change the bbl length on my Ruger. Although WildAlaska may be correct in that, strictly speaking, the barrel can be changed, I tend to agree with Handy that it wouldn't be like swapping a barrel on a Buckmark. Actually, looking at the pictures at Clark Custom Guns, it looks like changing the barrels on the Rugers is a little more like replacing the barrel on a Mauser with one that already has the sights mounted (the bbl appears to be threaded into the extension so that you would have to trim the shoulder precisely to index the feed ramp and sights). That seems to be an advantage with the Browning, I'm surprised they don't use that to distinguish the Buckmark from the Ruger which must be their biggest competition in that market.

Saands

PS ... I also see that other "common" aftermarket bbls DO require shipment through an FFL The Pac-Lite Upper Receiver is the serialized portion of the gun and therefore must be sold through a Federal Fire License (FFL) dealer.

PS ...

Handy
January 2, 2006, 08:14 AM
With guns as inexpensive as Ruger .22, whose barrels never wear out, I don't see why anyone would bother rebarreling (though possible). Buy another gun.

Double Naught Spy
January 2, 2006, 09:29 AM
The choice of whether the barrel with a serial number is sold by a manufacturer or not is not a legal question involving FFLs. It is Ruger's (and design aspect?) choice not to sell them unless with receivers and it is the receiver that is the legal concern. Think of the serial number barrel as simply being a manufacturer-denoted matched part if it can be detached from the receiver. If it can't be detached, such as with the PAC-LITES, then what is the legal problem is the receiver, not the barrel. http://tacticalsol.com/products/PAC-LITEs.htm

9mm1033
January 2, 2006, 12:30 PM
You have 230 posts and a Sig 229, I am honestly curious how you arrived at thinking you might need an FFL for a barrel with a serial number.
What kind of a remark is that? I have NEVER owned a SigSauer pistol. Looked at or handled one. I just purchased the 229 used. My other auto's do not have a serial number on the barrel. If I wanted a custom barrel for my Ruger 22/45, I needed an FFL dealer transfer. I was more curious to know why Sig places the serial number on the barrel. Plus, if and when I order a replacement, I wanted to know how to go about the trade. Thanks to all the other members who answered my innocent question. MasterPieceArms.com, maybe as I get more posts, I'll become smarter.

Handy
January 2, 2006, 12:38 PM
Ignore him, that was uncalled for.

Per your question, in Germany the barrel is the "registered" part, not the frame.

hknut
January 2, 2006, 02:32 PM
I have 3 Sig's, the 220 has nunbers on the barrel, slide, and the frame. my 229 has numbers on the barrel,and frame only, while my 226 (in .40) only has a numbered frame. My question is why change the process for different models?:confused:

hknut
January 2, 2006, 02:33 PM
I have 3 Sig's, the 220 has nunbers on the barrel, slide, and the frame. My 229 has numbers on the barrel,and frame only, while my 226 (in .40) only has a numbered frame. My question is why change the process for different models?:confused:

barnetmill
January 2, 2006, 04:45 PM
On a what is I believe a pre 1968 Hi-Standard pump shotgun sold by either sears or wards, the receiver does not have a serial number. There is a number on the barrel. I always assumed that this was the model number of the gun and not the serial number.

Does anyone out there know if this is the serial number?

Rivers
January 2, 2006, 05:01 PM
Hopefully, our legal scholar, Masterpiecearms, is aware that some states do require a permit for handgun ownership, while others actually list particular handguns on the license, making the license only good for those listed handguns.