PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 or Remmington 7400

brgr
November 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
I'm getting a rifle and I have my eye on these two rifles the Savage 11 series with accutrigger .270 bolt action for $349.00 or a Remmington 7400 30-06 semi auto for $399.00.

Which would you get and why?

I have read on here that the Savage bolt action is pretty much dead on accurate right out of the box. I have also read that the Remmington is a good gun but have also read that they can jam up quite often if not kept clean and that they can be pretty hard to clean.

I am going to use it for deer hunting and probably plinking around a little bit.

How hard is it to clean the Savage?

Jim Watson
November 30, 2005, 02:51 PM
To clean Savage bolt action remove bolt, insert rod guide, swab and brush barrel.
Wipe and lube bolt.

That is about all I do to a bolt action although if you want to get fancy, there are cleaning tools to get at the locking lug recesses and stuff.

tINY
November 30, 2005, 04:38 PM
I think that the 7400 carries a little easier and handles a little faster. If you are still hunting in forested areas, the Rem might be a batter choice.

-tINY

Remmy
November 30, 2005, 06:14 PM
Ive got a 7400 and it is more accurate than i thought it would be groups under an inch at 100 yds... It does have to be cleaned from the muzzle end which i dont like but other than that has been good for me. I like it...never owned a savage though so i couldnt say.