PDA

View Full Version : After Market 1911 Frames

Rock
September 12, 1999, 11:44 AM
Of these available 1911 frames. McCormick - Caspian - Wilson - Les Baer - Entreprise.
Can anyone tell me who actually makes them?
I belive Les Baer and McCormick manufacture, with McCormick providing Kimber etc. Any help would be appreciated

George Stringer
September 12, 1999, 10:43 PM
Rock, unless something has changed they all manufacture their own frames. McCormick does make Kimbers because Chip McCormick is Kimber. I have heard that he also makes some for Wilson but I don't know that to be true. George

Daniel Watters
September 13, 1999, 09:04 AM
To be more precise, Kimber makes the McCormick, Wilson (current), and Nowlin frames. Kimber machines them from forgings produced by one of Smith & Wesson's side operations.

Earlier Wilson frames were made by Caspian. I understand that Caspian's wide-body frame is cast by Ruger's Pine Tree division. Whether this is also true of their single-stack frames is not known.

The forged frames used by Rock River and Les Baer reportedly come from a single source.

Entreprise's source for their frame castings is not known to me.

[This message has been edited by Daniel Watters (edited September 13, 1999).]

Rock
September 13, 1999, 04:55 PM
Daniel Watters - You say the Baer frames are from the same source as the Caspian wide-body
frames? Or the Kimber?
Thanks to you and George Stringer
Rock

Daniel Watters
September 13, 1999, 05:37 PM
No, I was being unclear. The Les Baer and Rock River frames are produced by the same sub-contractor. To the best of my knowledge, they are unrelated to any of the other frames on market.