PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing out a mauser action

Clayfish
November 16, 2005, 12:45 PM
I have sporterized a turkish mauser and am pretty proud of it. It shoots really good but I have one question. I replaced the bolt and of course had a smith to check the headspace but it's tight and a little jerky as I cycle the action. I know it will never be as smooth as my A-bolt or savage but is there anyway I can smooth out the action? Any help is apprecited.

mete
November 16, 2005, 01:11 PM
You can smooth it with lapping compound. If this is overdone you will remove the case hardening.Make sure ALL of the lapping compound is removed by a very thorough cleaning.

Clemson
November 16, 2005, 02:45 PM
There is a tool sold by Brownells and others that is used to polish the receiver where the bolt runs. It is much safer to use than lapping compound.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=395&title=RECEIVER+WAY+POLISHER

Clemson

Harry Bonar
November 18, 2005, 09:35 AM
Dear Turk Owner:
METE is right-on; listen to him.
However, I'm concerned: As you close the bolt down in locking position - if you feel a "bump" as its almost clear down you may have "set-back" of the lugs in the reciever. As METE correctly says, if it's just a slight "bump" the laping will cure it, but, if you lap too much you'll increase your headspace and also as METE says you'll remove the case in the action. A hard surface will always be laped by a soft surface, because the soft steel will retain the compound - as METE cautions rinse that action and bolt out good after laping!
Thanks METE ---Harry B.