PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem with the M1A Bolt

KevlarSix
October 28, 2005, 06:57 AM
Hi, My Winchester M14 rifle can't extract the bullet from the chamber. However, when I take of the ejector and spring from the bolt, the extractor extracts the bullet from the chamber. Very puzzling for me. How do I fix this problem?

Unclenick
October 28, 2005, 10:39 PM
Wow. A puzzle! A little more information might be useful:

Did this begin recently or was it always the case as long as you've had the gun? Did it start since changing a part?

The most likely scenario is the extractor claw just doesn't hang onto the casehead hard enough to both extract the case and hold it against the forward thrust of the ejector when the case is chambered. In this case you need to determine the cause: is the extractor detent spring is too week to ensure the extractor claw presses into the casehead extraction groove with reliable force, or is the extractor claw too rounded at the inner edge to hang on to the cartridge case well? Or both.

See if you can borrow an extractor and extractor detent and extractor detent spring from a working gun to try them out in your bolt?

Nick

hIPSHOT33
November 6, 2005, 05:51 PM
cut two coils off the ejector spring .

James K
November 8, 2005, 09:28 PM
Wait a minute before you do anything drastic. I think you have either some kind of interference between the ejector and the extractor, or a weak extractor spring.

Remember, the extractor itself holds in the ejector. Normally, there should not be enough interference between the extractor shaft and the ejector to prevent free movement of the extractor, but if there is a burr or something, the ejector could be preventing full movement of the extractor and keeping it from gripping properly. The problem could be a burr someplace or just a weak extractor spring, but don't go cutting springs until you know what is wrong.

Jim