PDA

View Full Version : adjusting Ruger sight

Maleman
October 4, 2005, 04:47 PM
I took my new Ruger P-345 to the range today for the first time. It shot a nice group high and to the left. The instructions say to loosen the screw in the rear sight and tap it over in the direction you want the shot to go. I loosened the screw and tapped and tapped and beat on it a little. Nothing. I don't want to beat the thing into a pulp but it ain't moving. Does anybody have any ideas? :mad:

fhp490
October 4, 2005, 06:33 PM
Remove the slide.
heat the slide with a hair drier
then place an ice cube on the sight to cool it this should help

Harry Bonar
October 4, 2005, 06:35 PM
Dear Ruger owner:
Yes, with the screw loose remove the slide and clamp in non-marring vise jaws and get a well shaped punch and a heavy hammer.
Now, you don't need to hit hard, just smartly and it WILL move - but be careful of removing the 345 sight - there are three springs under there - I know because I had to machine a red-dot base for a 345 (which is my favorite of the Ruger semi's) and lost the springs - ordered them from Ruger and all is well (Icould'nt charge the guy for the days machining time or the springs; I guess there isn't at present a base for the 345 to take the holograph red dot this guy chose.
There is a special way to hit a punch - sometimes I use a very small ball-peen and just keep tapping and it will loosten anything - other times you do need that extra mass to move something and I don't know if Ruger uses lo-tite or not!
Hope it works! Harry B.