PDA

View Full Version : How to identify Rem. 1100 20 GA. LW barrel?

Sinjin1952
August 19, 2005, 11:09 PM
I have a Remington 1100 20 Ga. "LW" model made in the late 1970's. Their current model is usually designated as the 20 ga. "LT" model. I need to find another barrel for my earlier "LW" model, either on the market or on ebay etc. What I need to know is how to positively tell the physical difference between the earlier "LW" model and the current "LT" 20 ga. barrels. Both these designations are "lightweight" 20 ga. models, but I am sure they are not interchangeable. I believe my shotgun was made in 1976. The receiver is marked: Remington model 1100-LW Serial no. M560938K. The barrel is marked with a five pointed star, then: "20 GA. * LW for 2 3/4 in. shells". Thanks for the help.

9mmMike
August 23, 2005, 01:39 PM
All of the LT 1100 barrels that I've seen were marked LT-20. The LW barrels seem to be harder to find but they pop up no ebay and gunbroker fairly often.
I have never seen them side to side so I do not know what the actual difference is though.
Mike

Sinjin1952
August 26, 2005, 11:10 AM
I've been rattling around the internet trying to get the answer asked for above, Reminton's website doesn't specify a difference between early (LW) barrels and later (LT) barrels. They just say that barrels for 1100 20 ga. made on the 12 ga. frame are not interchangeable with the "Lightweight" 20 ga. models. Maybe there is no difference between the early and late Lightweight barrels. Can anyone confirm this or offer other input.
Thanks.

Sinjin1952
September 4, 2005, 09:01 PM
Bump for reconsideration!

KE4YYD
September 7, 2005, 01:11 PM
You may want to call Corson's Barrels as he knows his stuff. I recently bought a 20 ga LT barrel from him. The serial number of my gun nended in K also. He said I needed the "long tang" model. If you have a barrel for your gun now measure the tang length. If you don't have a barrel then open your bolt and see where the tang fits in the reciever. If you can see where the tang cutout ends then it is a short tang. If you can't see the end of the cutout then it is the long tang.

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/

hjk_rick
September 9, 2005, 06:34 AM
LW (pre 1977) barrels and LT (post 1977) barrels are not interchangeable.

The difference is in the heat treated barrel extension. LT barrel extensions are longer and have an integral ejector stud - similiar to the 12ga 1100. LW barrel extensions are shorter and the ejector is attached to the inside of the receiver - similiar to the 870.

Gander Mountain will machine an LT to LW for $75.

Hope this helps,
Rick

Sinjin1952
September 9, 2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all who responded. If you read my original post, my receiver is clearly marked "LW". The serial number ends in "K", these markings clearly indicate that it is a "LW" model, but it has the long barrel tang of the "LT". I bought this shotgun new from a distributor. It is not assembled from cobbled parts or anything. I can now only assume that it was manufactured by Remington to the later "LT" specification, possibly from a left over marked and serial numbered "LW" receiver. I have bought another "LT" long tanged barrel on ebay, which is due to arrive Tuesday. I will compare the new barrel with my "long tang" barrel that was original on the shotgun and report my findings. I have been in contact with Corsons in Kingman, AZ, he reports there are only two tang lenghts; short (LW) and long (LT). So as my shotgun came with a long tang barrel, I am hoping any long tang barrel will fit. It's the LW markings on the receiver that confuses things.
Thanks & Regards

hjk_rick
September 10, 2005, 11:34 AM
My LW twenty receiver also is clearly marked Model 1100-LW. And for what it's worth - my SN also ends in K.

You need to check your barrel.

My barrel is stamped *** 20GA * LW for 23/4 or Shorter Shells ***

Is your current barrel stamped LW or LT?

And what is the shape of the ejection port on yours? Mine is a simple oval - I believe that the LT is more complex (larger diameter at back).

Also - is your stock mahogany or walnut?

Good information.

Rick

Sinjin1952
September 10, 2005, 08:47 PM
My barrel is stamped *** 20GA * LW for 23/4 or Shorter Shells ***

Is your current barrel stamped LW or LT?

My barrel is stamped with a five pointed star, then: "20 GA * LW" A second line under that is stamped: "FOR 2 3/4 IN. SHELLS"

And what is the shape of the ejection port on yours? Mine is a simple oval - I believe that the LT is more complex (larger diameter at back).

My ejection port is NOT the simple oval, it is the type that is larger diameter at the rear.

Also - is your stock mahogany or walnut?

This is a tough one. I always thought the stock was plain, unfigured walnut but the grain pattern could be mahogany. Was Mahogany used to achieve "Light Weight". It is not as heavy as walnut. Is there a way to identify walnut from mahogany? Do you use taste or smell? If this can't be sorted out, I could always send pictures, digital photography is no problem. I have cut many stocks down for recoil pads, walnut has a distinctive smell when sawn. The problem is I don't recall ever cutting a mahogany stock, will it smell the same?

Again, mine seems to have "LW" markings and serial number, but "LT" features; i.e. long barrel tang, non-ovel dual height ejection port.

I appreciate the responses and effort.

Thanks & Regards

Sinjin1952
September 11, 2005, 09:51 AM
Until I viewed another thread, I didn't realize that I could post pictures. Here is a pic of the stock & foreend. They don't exactly match. Could the stock be mahogany and the foreend walnut?

hjk_rick
September 12, 2005, 06:05 AM
I am no wood expert - however they look mahogany to me. Your impressed checkering pattern is the 70's style. Did you add the recoil pad?

My LW was originally equipped with a light weight mahogany stock. It was so soft, I could mark it with my thumb nail. Remington graciously exchanged it for a walnut stock.

I would like to see some pictures of your barrel - extension and stamping.

Thanks,
Rick

sher2981
September 12, 2005, 04:30 PM
I have a rem 1100 with the same pattern from the 70's as well and I think that you have two different woods. On my gun the woods are identical. Good luck.

Sinjin1952
September 12, 2005, 08:13 PM
You ask for pictures, you get pictures. Attached are pics of the receiver and barrel markings. See next post for more.
Thanks.

Sinjin1952
September 12, 2005, 08:17 PM
And here are pics of the barrel tang and ejection port. and yes, I installed the recoil pad, it is not factory.

Thanks again.

hjk_rick
September 12, 2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the pictures.

Your barrel extension and ejection port are definitely LT. The LW on the barrel is a puzzle.

Remington redesigned the LW to the LT in 1977 and changed certain cosmetic features in 1979. You probably have a very early LT.

My guess is that the first LT's had LW on the barrel (like your's) and the confusion prompted Remington to replace the LW designation with LT on later barrels.

Good luck with your new barrel!

Thanks,
Rick

Sinjin1952
September 16, 2005, 09:45 PM
OK, I received the barrel I bought on ebay. I installed it on the shotgun and it fits fine. The bolt goes into battery and the operating rod travels fully forward which should mean the locking lug is fully engaged. This new barrel is marked: a five pointed star, then: "20 GA. LT-20 * * for 2 3/4 IN. SHELLS".

So what do I have here? The receiver markings, the barrel markings, and the serial number all indicate it is a "LW" model. All the features, i.e. barrel long tang, ejection port shape, stock wood, are manufactured to "LT" specifications. What I have to guess happened is that when Remington made the model switch from "LW" to "LT", they probably had receiver and barrel blanks already marked but not machined. When they initiated "LT" production, they used up the existing inventory of blanks which were marked as "LW" but machined to "LT" configuration. Another possible explanation is that they used their existing "LW" marking dies on both barrels and receivers when "LT" production began, switching later to the "LT" marks.

A list I found on the internet gives year of manufacture dates for Remington firearms based on barrel markings. My original barrel is marked with symbols that indicate a 1976 manufacture date. If "LT" models were only made from 1977 on, this early date means that the barrel may have been made from left over blank stock.

I purchased this gun new when I was in the firearms business from a distributor. I recall when Remington announced a "new lightweight 20 ga. model". I placed a order for such a gun soon after the product announcement, so it makes sense that this is a "early" version of the lightweight model.

Thanks to all who have responded to this thread, I appreciate your help. If you have further questions, or require additonal information regarding this question, I will gladly respond.

Thanks & Regards

lake nut
February 16, 2009, 03:16 PM
some of you may want to view http;//www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=170706