PDA

View Full Version : Rate this - Crimson Trace Laser Grip

butch50
August 14, 2005, 08:29 PM
I would like to hear from people who use or have used the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. I am considering the LG-401 model for my 1911 - it has the front activation button.

This would be installed on a full size 1911 that is carried in a leather thumb break OWB holster. They say that you can see the dot in bright sunlight out to about SD range. True?

Feedback is appreciated. Best price I have seen is $230 + $8 shipping.

Thanks

Butch

Bravo25
August 14, 2005, 11:14 PM
Mixed reviews. Nice to play with, but I wouldn't want to count on them. Any laser sight. It has been shown that people will actually spend more time looking for the red dot, than aquiring a good sight picture. JHHO, but I would stick with the night sights. The laser can fail when you need it most. Tritium doesn't require activation, or batteries.

SwollenShoulder
August 15, 2005, 09:42 AM
I have had a pair of these on a Sig for a couple of years. They seem to be extremely relaible. The batteries last a fairly long time, especially if you turn off the switch at the bottom. I have taken them off the gun and reattached them with no additional adjustment (kept zero very well). That Sig is not a competition gun, purely ccw. I don't feel that it makes the gun more accurate (fewer fliers if anything), but I have come to trust it well enough. my $0.02. Hope it helps.

HighVelocity
August 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
I have a pair on a snubby and they're great! Occasionally I'll go to the range and first thing, draw it from concealment and empty it using only the laser to sight and it works like a champ. Five rounds of 357mag COM as fast as I can squeeze the trigger. I'm pretty happy with that.

sendec
August 15, 2005, 10:56 AM
I think the money would be better spent on training and practice ammo. I've played with them and they really dont do anything for me.

One problem I have with the Crimson Trace unit is that when my trigger finger is at register along side the frame it effectively covers the laser, rendering it useless.

RickB
August 15, 2005, 05:17 PM
I don't like them because they are not ambidextrous. Try shooting them left-handed, with either a one- or two-handed grip; my thumb always blocks the beam. I think the guide rod-mounted laser makes more sense.