PDA

View Full Version : How do you disassemble a Stevens 311a?

Chris W
August 5, 2005, 03:24 PM
I'm looking for guidance in the big steps of disassembling a 311a which I recently aquired for cowboy shooting. Don't have a manual with it--I don't imagine many owners of these old guns do. Can anyone out there point me at a resource that would guide me, or perhaps give me the quick break-down themselves? Thanks.

joab
August 5, 2005, 04:15 PM
Here's the schematic (http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=089Zz311A)

Dfariswheel
August 5, 2005, 07:22 PM
I'll give you fair warning:

Many double barrel shotguns were assembled at the factory by using slave pins and special holding and positioning jigs.

Without these fixtures, reassembling a double can be near-impossible.

I strongly suggest just removing the wood, spraying it thoroughly inside and out with something like one of the spray "Gun Scrubber" type cleaners.

Allow to dry completely, then spray inside and out with a spray lube like Rem-Oil or CLP Breakfree, until EVERYTHING is dripping wet.

Allow to drain and wipe off the excess.

This will do a good job of cleaning out any crud, and the spray lube will both lubricate and preserve the metal.

This is much better than showing up at the gunsmith's with a box full of loose parts that you can't get back together, and possibly he can't either.

Harley Nolden
August 6, 2005, 04:44 AM
Disassem w/photos sent by separate email

HJN

Steve in PA
August 6, 2005, 12:56 PM
Well on my Savage 311, there is a little recessed lever on the underside of the forearm. Pull the lever and you can remove the forearm. Open the action and the barrels can be removed from the frame. Takes about 30 seconds.

mosinjoe
August 15, 2005, 02:37 PM
with out a schematic(not reccomended) with success and cleaned and deburred surfaces and did some smoothing to the working parts. Did it make a difference? Well, maybe in the six inches between my ears! :p I found that the 311,while a simple action ,is a very well built shotgun in utility grade and will last a long time if cared for.The action is quite strong and will handle anything in 2 3/4. It will really thump you with magnum loads and the turkey loads will hurt your feelings when you pull the trigger. I shot some old Remington paper shell loads that that really got my attention and will tell you that if I ever run across any of those shells again, I will definitely pass on shooting them in a double! Yeeouch!

jonashlock
March 22, 2009, 05:22 PM
I just picked up a model 311A 20g and have not idea how to break it down. (it needs a good cleaning)

Thanks

Jon

Dfariswheel
March 22, 2009, 07:28 PM
Grab the front end of the wood forearm and pull it down and off.

Open the barrels and lift them off the frame.

No further disassembly is needed or recommended.

To reassemble, "hook" the barrels on the hinge in the frame and gently close them.

Put the rear of the forearm into the front of the frame and snap it up into place.