PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK Gun Barrel Polishing

westernamerican
July 15, 2005, 03:22 PM
I recently saw a GLOCK Gun Barrel that had been polished to perfection....it was not refinished, just polished with a Dremel Tool..........I am wondering if it will retain the nice shiney look or will it have to be continuously polished to keep it from tarnishing? :D

cntryboy1289
July 15, 2005, 05:09 PM
Most anything I have ever polished has and tarnished if it is used or handled. I use Daimond clear on anything I want to make sure the luster lasts for any time.

Shorts
July 16, 2005, 01:41 AM
If the barrel is under contact and friction, the shine will go away.

cntryboy1289
July 16, 2005, 12:03 PM
Most of the time the barrel will have wear marks left on it by the bushing, but the barrel will have less friction on it due to the high polish. I wouldn't polish the barrel all the time myself, since eventaully you will wear it down too much for that ultimate fit of it and the bushing.

Shorts
July 16, 2005, 01:01 PM
When the original post said polished barrel, I immediately thought about the barrel hood. I polished it on the GI, but it's back to dull again. The same with my barrel on my project. I guess it depends too how polished to how quickly it gets dull. True, polished makes for less friction between sliding parts.

cntryboy1289
July 16, 2005, 05:57 PM
Shorts, if you want the polish to stay, apply a coat of Diamond clear to it. Alot of times you get a piece of steel that will tarnish as soon as your fingers touch it after polishing. I have had this problem several times before. Right after polishing the part, I wipe it clean with lacquer thinner and then dry it. I apply a couple of coats of Diamond Clear to it and allow it to dry before handling the part. It leaves a very good finish and it will stay for a very long time before you need to redo the job. I buy my Diamond Clear from KBC tools. I also like to jewel the part if possible since this will keep it from tarnishing and looking bad. Here's a link for it. It goes by the name Kleer Kote from them.

http://kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm

4V50 Gary
July 17, 2005, 11:46 AM
Don't bother polishing anything. Wear will do it for you soon enough.