PDA

View Full Version : Mini revolvers Freedom Arms & NAA

timdennis
July 10, 2005, 10:26 PM
I've seen these pop up sometimes. How are they compared to the NAA ones?

Surefire_U2
July 10, 2005, 10:49 PM
Freedom Arms makes mini-revolvers? Bet they cost a fortune. I know their SAA centerfire clones are often $1,600+....

As far as NAA Mini-revolvers go, IMO for the price the quality is very good. I love my NAA Mini-revolver, and in terms of fit/finish it blows many more expensive guns away in quality.

Kevin Quinlan
July 11, 2005, 07:03 AM
Had a NAA mini. Quit after 3 rounds. The NAA CHARGED me to fix a new gun. Stay away from them. Freedom arms has a much better reputation.

Kevin

DPris
July 11, 2005, 11:33 AM
From an admittedly hazy memory, I think the main difference between the two was the safety notches in the cylinders, but that could be wrong.
The Freedom Arms guns were the original mini-revolvers about 25+ years ago, Freedom hasn't made them for many years. I heard some details of an agreement between the two companies a LONG time ago, but can't recall exactly why Freedom dropped their line.
You may get an occasional lemon from NAA, but they're pretty good about fixing them. I had to have the hammer nose angle adjusted on one, no charge.
I carried another one as a shirtpocket gun for the last three or four years I was in uniform. I didn't have much faith in the .22 LR from a two-inch barrel, but had no concerns about the gun itself.
Parts would be hard to scrounge for the old Freedom mini-guns, if needed, and I don't know if they'll even service them any more.
I don't think there was much difference in quality between the two companies.
Denis

MartinR
July 11, 2005, 11:38 AM
Kevin,

I don't know what happened in your case, but I have had excellent results from North American Arms when I have had problems or questions.

I think NAA makes quality pocket handguns and provides excellent customer service. Admittedly I have heard that people would like more perfection out of their pocket pistol (Guardian more than mini-revolver), but yours is the first complaint I have heard about their customer service.

I carry my NAA Guardian (.32acp) daily off duty and as a backup on duty. Given the option I would probably carry my NAA mini-revolver in .22mag as a backup since it is even smaller - but our department will not allow it due to the difficulties in passing our department's firearms qualification (primarily due to slow reload capabilities).

Martin

DPris
July 11, 2005, 12:39 PM
Martin,
My department wouldn't allow the mini-revolvers as backups, either.
I think I forgot to tell them about it.....

Denis

Ben Shepherd
July 13, 2005, 09:02 PM
I have one of the Freedom Arms mini's on the buckle in the original lined soft case, with original paperwork. New and unfired. Picked it up for 299+ tax. :D Right place at the right time I guess.

As for the NAA mini- As soon as I brought my freedom arms version home, my younger brother just HAD to have one. So he purchased an NAA mini in 22 mag. I can do 1 hole groups @ ten feet no problem. And POI/POA match pretty well. However, there is the occasional "sideways' hit, the barrel is so short every once in a while the bullet just doesn't get enough spin to stabilize.