View Full Version : Little help needed
June 25, 2005, 02:20 PM
Hope someone can help me with is one. I have a VZ24 action that I recently barreled for a customer. The problem I have is the bolt is hard to close and open after firing. I used a sunny Hill bolt shroud on it and I think this is the problem. I fitted the bolt sleeve lock for it when I put the shroud on. the cocking piece seems to be fine and I made sure the bolt was clean of any welds. Can anyone make a suggestion for me to look at. The bolt handle closes smoothly until the bolt sleeve lock is entirely inside the shroud and the last 1/4" of travel gets fairly hard. On opening, the bolt is hard to lift.
June 25, 2005, 09:09 PM
I don't know, but does the shroud/firing pin and spring assy screw into the bolt normally when out of the gun?
If it does it could be that the shroud, on the bottom is in contact with the wood just under the shroud on the stock? I run into that sometimes and is remedied by filing off some stock under the shroud when it contacts almost as the bolt is closed - but, I'm sure you've already checked this.
You might find this to be the trouble - the new shroud is probably thicker!
June 26, 2005, 01:39 AM
I looked the shroud over and found I have a burr on it. I stoned the burr down and retried it and it closes much easier now, but is still hard to open after the trigger pull. I will try to check out the trigger tomorrow and see if I have a problem with the sear.
June 26, 2005, 10:51 AM
This may be two problems. Check the cocking ramp cut for burrs or a rough spot. Color everything that makes contact with magic marker and see where it rubs off? Scrape there.
June 26, 2005, 04:28 PM
I ended up needing to do more fitting than I had to on the previous build. I had to remove some off the bottom to avoid dragging on the ramp as well as take down a thousandth off the sides to allow it to work smoothly. It was dragging on the ramp and was causing the burr to develop. Thanks for the input.
June 28, 2005, 01:19 AM
I was still having to work hard to raise the bolt even after fitting the shroud properly. I ended up having to do a little profile work on the sear. The front side was causing pretty good rub marks on the cocking piece to the point of a scratching it it. I ended up having to flatten the round hump into more of a ramp like on the original. Works very smoothly like it is suppose to now. I just couldn't figure out what the rub was until I painted the works with Dykem and was amazed at the rub marks. I had to polish the ramp of the cocking piece after a light sanding to get the groove out of it. Thanks for the input guys.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.