PDA

View Full Version : Finest Tasting Game Meat?

CarbineCaleb
June 18, 2005, 03:40 PM
What is the absolute tastiest critter that walks, runs, or flies?

I give the nod to duck. While it can be greasy if not prepared well, if prepared skillfully, it is just a heavenly gastronomic experience. :D

just one question
June 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
Pheasent its great love it I am gonna kill some again this year and hopefully buy some live ones for killing too. yum :)

I never bought a live animal for killing should I cut his head off or take him out in the woods an shoot it with a 22 pistol. Is there a less execution style method :confused: I usually like to give them a chance.

Yes i am going to eat them and i am buying them live so i can eat fresh meat not some frozen thing from the pheasent farm.

ps is it legal to buy a rabit from the pet store and butcher it for eating. I plan to do that if i cant get one during season.

Should I let them get a head start then start plinking away at em???

Long Path
June 18, 2005, 05:14 PM
"ps is it legal to buy a rabit from the pet store and butcher it for eating. I plan to do that if i cant get one during season"
Lots of people raise rabbits for meat. You can build a hutch in a small area, buy a buck and doe rabbit, and have a nice rabbit farm pretty easily. The dropping that fall under the hutch will always have a nice supply of nightcrawlers for fishing with, too. No reason why you shouldn't buy them from a pet store, unless the cost is too high. With a little research, you ought to be able to find local rabbit raisers. I haven't a clue how well domestic rabbits would do if you released them in the wild. I imagine the albinos would be pretty easy to find, though. :)

Quail is by far the best of the game meats I've ever eaten. The flesh is so delecate, it's almost transparent when you first kill them. It cooks snow white.

Shorthair
June 18, 2005, 05:17 PM
By far, Ruffed Grouse, roasted, with stuffing made with woodcock breast.
I do love rare venison loin with a pinot noir reduction, though...

Eghad
June 18, 2005, 05:30 PM
Nothing like Chicken Fried Backstap from a Deer or Venison Chili :D

jrfoxx
June 18, 2005, 05:33 PM
Its hard to choose, but it would have to be deer as it, rabbit, squirrel, turkey and goose are the only ones (as best i can recall) that i have had that were 'hunted'. i have had pheasnt and duck also, but it was reseraunt/store bought. i'm pretty fond of wild rabbit and squirrel too though.

Brian Williams
June 18, 2005, 05:41 PM
Elk backstraps

Dean C
June 18, 2005, 06:17 PM
D, all of the above.
dean

stevelyn
June 18, 2005, 06:35 PM
Dean C +1.

Why was bison left off the list?
My favorites are:

Bison
Moose
Caribou
Followed by everything else.

sm
June 18, 2005, 06:59 PM
Fowl - Quail

Fur - Elk , backstraps, roasts
Fur - Buffalo - steak, roasts

Scales- Bream, Crappie, Walleye , Trout

I will fight, bribe, steal, lie ...whatever it takes to obtain the filet mignon off a Walleye. And NO I will not tell you where/ what it is either. :D

Lycanthrope
June 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
Elk!

Lawyer Daggit
June 18, 2005, 08:06 PM
Anyone got a good recipe for Venison Chili?

I would love to hear it.

jrfoxx
June 18, 2005, 08:19 PM
SM--used to live on the Tittabawasee river in Michigan as a kid. They have a pretty big walleye tournement there. i have caught and cooked many, many, many walleye from the parents backyard there. personally, i think they are some of the best tasting fish around (and fun to catch too!)

RCPractitioner
June 18, 2005, 08:22 PM
I second grouse! delicous!

Jeffro250
June 18, 2005, 08:29 PM
Moose, Elk, Bison...in that order.

Moose is sweet and not gamey at all like deer...same with Elk, alot like a good cut of beef, but with a hint of sweetness. Bison makes some GREAT sausage...never had it any other way, but makes excellent bratwurst sandwiches.

Eghad
June 18, 2005, 08:36 PM
Elk backstraps

mmmm..chicken fried :)

Eghad
June 18, 2005, 08:37 PM
Venison Chili.....

with beans or without beans?

Rojoe67
June 18, 2005, 08:52 PM
:D Jr.......... I hope all your fish were from north of Midland, MI? ;) the glow in the dark factor with help from DOW made me wonder....... I know that river well too...........

Wild meat that is hard to beat

1. Caribou
2. Elk
3. Speed Goats (Antelope) gotta be fixed right by a real cook too ;)
4. Ruffed Grouse (garlic butter painted then an open campfire prep.... :D

Edward429451
June 18, 2005, 09:41 PM
I would've voted buffalo 1st but no there. Elk backstrap but not there, so out of what is there I had to vote duck as a duck was the most memorable meal I've ever had in the field. We had taken potatoes onions & carrots along with some spices etc camping and had figured on cooking up a rabbit or two but somehow a duck flew our way at the crucial moment. Some biscuts ina can added made the best duck N dumpling stew I'll never forget.

Dave Haven
June 18, 2005, 09:52 PM
You didn't list elk. :shrug:
That's one of my all-time favorites.
But then....

A couple of weeks ago I went over to my parents' place for dinner and my Mom had roasted an oryx roast that one of Dad's friends had given him. That was every bit as good as elk, if not better. :)

Mountain lion is delicious, too.

Capt Charlie
June 18, 2005, 11:40 PM
Hey! Nobody's mentioned wild turkey breasts! Love 'em! But I voted for pheasant since turkey wasn't mentioned. :( :p ( :D )

Long Path
June 19, 2005, 08:54 AM
Anyone got a good recipe for Venison Chili?Chili Recipes (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32599&highlight=chile)
Your best game recipe (s) (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16598&highlight=chile)
I humbly submit my own takes and our illustrious DC's. (I miss her.)

kb4ifs
June 20, 2005, 07:28 PM
Eat More Possum!

rwilson452
June 20, 2005, 10:14 PM
I have found preparation and the cook have much more to do with taste than people are willing to admit to. What the game animal eats will influence taste also, you are what you eat. I have noted a good deal of difference in whitetail harvested on the family farm in PA from those taken in the southwest.

guntotin_fool
June 20, 2005, 10:29 PM
a well shot pronghorn. If it drops within a few feet of where it is shot. If it runs a long way it is dog food, My first one ran a LOOOOONG way and the meat was so tainted with gamey taste from the running and the stress my dog got almost all of it. I vowed to never eat it again, then was fed some thinking it was lamb. ohhh my. well shot, were it dropped in its track my second antelope was by far the best tasting animal i have ever eaten.

22-rimfire
June 21, 2005, 05:41 PM
Best that I have ever tasted was elk steaks. Could have been the atmosphere too... girls and beer. Good mix. You all left out the number one game bird--TURKEY (but I didn't read every posting as this is for fun). Possum? Yum Yum

Long Path
June 21, 2005, 06:48 PM
I can't handle possum. I've seen 'em crawl out of too many dead livestock carcasses.

22-rimfire
June 21, 2005, 08:57 PM
I was kidding on the possum. When I was a kid, we caught a possum in a box trap and kept it for a while in a cage... we had a bunch of rotten night crawlers that we had picked up for fishing.... that darn possum loved those rotten worms! I will NEVER eat a possum unless I'm starving.

Jseime
June 21, 2005, 08:59 PM
fresh barbequed deer backstraps with BBQ sauce, a box of KD and a frosty kokanee beer, im drooling just thinking about it

Pointer
June 22, 2005, 01:10 AM
Hazelnut and corn-fed squirrel. :)

And feral pig ain't too shabby. ;)

Johnny Guest
June 22, 2005, 02:15 AM
Lawyer Daggit asked about chili recipes.

1. Read the links provided by Long Path in post #22, above. If you carefully assemble the ingredients and have the patience, there's some WONDERFUL stuff there.

2. If you're less ambitious - --
I've been a chile gourmet for literally decades, and I know what I like. I've made up vast pots and taken it to the office and thereafter was drafted as a chili cookoff judge a few times. During those contests, I've eaten a lot of good and some not-so-good concoctions. It is my personal opinion you can do up an EXCELLENT chile without all this hocus-pocus.

Look around until you locate a store that stocks the Wick Fowler 2-Alarm Chili Kit. Buy that and the other stuff it says to get, listed on the back of the package. Follow the instructions, and you're pretty much guaranteed a very good pot o' chili.

I like to use a combination of cubed pork and either beef or venison. Be sure and strip off ALL the fascia from venison. For beef and pork, buy inexpensive roasts and hand cube them. Wild hog is good, too. But cube it, don't grind. Texture is everything.

This particular kit has the various spices and such in individual packets. It really makes a difference. I use only about one-third of the salt provided. Pay attention to the details about 2-Alarm, 1-Alarm, and False Alarm chile. The 2-Alarm type is really warm. some people can't handle it. No shame to that part.

This is good stuff. Do yourself a favor and do NOT cook beans with the chile. Cook them separately and add as desired. I vastly prefer pinto beans to red beans or other types. If you don't have the time or patience to pre-soak and cook 'em properly, buy a couple of cans of Trappey's pinto beans, the plain ones without jalapenos.

I eat my chile with cornbread, or homemade corn tortillas, or flour tortillas, or regular ol' saltine crackers. Crunchy toasted French bread is very good, too.

Best,
Johnny

9mm1033
June 22, 2005, 04:29 PM
I can tell the worst. SEAL! Had some in Canada. Tasted like old tough leather. :barf: Eskimo's like it. :confused:

NINE
June 22, 2005, 05:24 PM
I was trying to pick one for the poll... I just got really hungry. :confused:

What no caribou? Probably one the of best steaks I've ever eaten was a caribou T-bone BBQ'd. Moose ribs, awesome. Goose just a nose ahead of duck. Grouse fried up with salt pork. Deer.. mmm.. had some sort of jarred "stew" from newfoundland once.... salty (of course) but out of this world.

butch50
June 22, 2005, 09:19 PM
Smoked Quail wrapped in a hot flour tortilla with a bit of salsa and a touch of cheese - for breakfast.

Kestrel
June 23, 2005, 11:57 PM
Psst... Spotted Owl is not bad, if you marinate it overnight...

Good grief - it's after 1:00 a.m. and reading this thread has made me HUNGRY!

Johnny Guest - you just made me make a list of groceries to pick up tomorrow. My wife will be happy to have me cook this weekend.

ron8903
June 24, 2005, 06:41 AM
I picked deer because turkey is not listed.

dale taylor
June 24, 2005, 10:49 AM
Wood duck that has been down in swamp eating acorns. Nothing better. daleltaylor@att.net

kingudaroad
June 24, 2005, 01:21 PM
I made this recipe I got from TPWD website. It is not the best venison I ever had, I was the best meal of ANY kind that I've ever had. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/wildgame/recipes/venison_stew.phtml

butch50
June 25, 2005, 12:17 PM
Rattlesnake is tasty too.

LAK
June 26, 2005, 02:46 PM
Hare

Hand Cannon
June 29, 2005, 04:54 PM
What, no pig??!! :eek:

Lance5050
July 21, 2005, 02:34 PM
A nice Rabbit for Breakfast/Brunch...mmmmmm...

I've also made some tasty smoked deer jerky. Actually pretty much any animal that isn't a skunk.

I draw the line at bugs tho :)

buzz_knox
July 21, 2005, 03:04 PM
Rattlesnake
Deer
Cat ;)

zeisloft
July 21, 2005, 05:11 PM
Supprised I had to look so far before anyone mentioned pig. I'll reach across venison to get to some pork. the best part about feral hog on the grill is the cookin. salt, pepper, onions, and some 1/2ed jalapenos, and dump a bit of beer on it from time to time. Venison needs to be babied on the grill or it gets dry. Hogs WANT you to have a few beers and play an extra game or two of washers. They will be just fine sittin on the smoker for a little longer...take your time. Most other meats you need to be bird doggin' em on the grill.
~z

rugerman13
July 21, 2005, 07:46 PM
I'm supprised I didn't see bear on any ones list.
Went hunting with my uncle in Pa. and had to try some. It taste a lot better than it sounds. But it DON'T taste like chicken.

12-34hom
July 21, 2005, 08:02 PM
Upland game, Quail, Pheasant, Grey Partridge.

Waterfowl, Teal, Woodies, Mallard.

Wild Rabbit, makes some awesome gravy for soppin... ;)

Buffalo is excellent also.

12-34hom

Eghad
July 21, 2005, 10:34 PM
No Armadillos ?

the oldtimers here in SE Texas call em Hoover Hogs...lol

Capt Charlie
July 21, 2005, 10:49 PM
Would you believe that armadillos are the only critter in N. America to carry and spread leprosy? :eek: True.

mete
July 22, 2005, 03:14 AM
Pronghorn is noted for poor flavor but the first one I had was taken in a wheat field ! It was delicious. It's the sagebrush that gives them poor flavor....The finest meat I've had was ptarmigan.

LAK
July 22, 2005, 03:33 AM
In addition to what the animal eats, I think the greatest single factor is in the care in field dressing and handling the meat.

Sum1_Special
July 22, 2005, 04:40 AM
I don't eat that many 'exotic' game animals :(. Don't really hunt much outside rabbit, deer, and hog... I'll have to try some. :)

Psst... Spotted Owl is not bad, if you marinate it overnight...

What??? :confused: You hunt owl? :D Is that even legal? Hehe, If its that good I will have to shoot and eat me one real soon. ;) What do you use to kill em', will a .22lr do it?

Bowtier
July 22, 2005, 06:25 AM
I love rabbit, but my dad & his fleet of beagles probly make me a little partial.

Long Path
July 22, 2005, 06:18 PM
Who were the two wise guys who put in votes for opossum?

Nasty little critters. I'd have to be really hungry...

Edit:
Oh! It's not a secret ballot! You can click on "Votes" and see who voted for it!

22-rimfire and kb4ifs, y'all really like those carrion-eatin' oversized rat-lookin marsupials over quail? Over elk?!?

rugerman13
July 22, 2005, 06:31 PM
I agree with long path, I'm not going to eat a $%#* eating opossum!
If a buzzard won't eat it, I damn sure won't eat it ! !

CarbineCaleb
July 22, 2005, 06:47 PM
Long Path: Have you ever tasted opossum? Who knows? Catfish and eel, and gator are all pretty homely looking critters that taste pretty good :D Smoked eel is actually ve-ry tasty. :cool:

sdkidaho
July 23, 2005, 12:43 AM
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep is "the" best tasting big game I have "ever" had. I've had, deer, elk, moose, buffalo, and antelope, and Bighorn was by far the best of them all.

NSO_w/_SIG
July 23, 2005, 07:48 AM
Elk

VirgilCaine
July 23, 2005, 08:36 AM
Slow cooked (12-14 hrs), BBQ Beaver. Man, is it ever good. I shred it up with a fork, and put it on toasted onion rolls.

Is trout a game meat??? its mighty fine eatin' as well!!!!

Dean C
July 23, 2005, 12:20 PM
You all have done it again. Now I'm cravin' a "deep fried" catfish sandwich. (I'm originally from Southern Indiana). The only way to get one in the Northwest is to do it yourself. Time to go fishin'.
dean

38splfan
July 24, 2005, 12:34 AM
None better than squirrel for me, though venison comes in a very close second.

But then, I'll eat most anything without too much complaint.

Long Path
July 26, 2005, 07:36 AM
You all have done it again. Now I'm cravin' a "deep fried" catfish sandwich. (I'm originally from Southern Indiana). The only way to get one in the Northwest is to do it yourself. Time to go fishin'.
dean Yeah, Dean C, but you can run across the Sound to the Penninsula and go crabbing for red and dungeoness crab for very little investment, and fresh crab is hard to beat. I know a pier in Sequim where the crabs are thick, and there's terriffic fresh cod to be had at the local restaurant. Hard to beat...

MEDDAC19
July 26, 2005, 08:28 AM
Best on the list, I would say venison. Not on the list I would say it's a toss up between a young Fall turkey or chukar partridge or grouse orrrrrrrrrrr......... But then any game I make into jerky is some of the best thing you can ever eat!

NRA4life
July 26, 2005, 11:49 AM
Does Dungeness crab count?

artsmom
July 26, 2005, 11:58 AM
I don't think a venison steak will ever beat a good beef steak, and a pheasant will never roast up nice like a good roasting chicken, but I do believe a wild turkey breast has better texture and flavor than a domesticated turkey. The drumsticks, however, are a completely different matter!

So I am disappointed that turkey wasn't on the menu! :(

jaysouth
July 27, 2005, 09:45 PM
Know how Texas got rid of its armadillos? Some enterprizing Texan took a truckload to Arkansas and sold them as possum "on the halfshell". It created an incedible demand and the rest is hisory.

If I had my choice of anything I could harvest in the wild, it would be an Angus steer at around 700 pounds. Beats venison any day!!

yorec
July 28, 2005, 02:52 AM
No "other" category? Shame - means I can't even vote in a round about way for what I believe to be the "best" tasting meat, wild or mundane... Feral boar. ***slobber*** :cool:

jeff_troop
July 28, 2005, 11:56 AM
DOVE with biscuits and gravy!

SeekHer
August 6, 2005, 01:51 PM
Bison, moose, elk in that order. Black bear is quite good also, especially the fat for cooking.

SeekHer
August 6, 2005, 01:55 PM
Sorry this got cut off........

Wild boar for sausages and grouse, turkey then Canada goose for the bird category.

Jack O'Conner
August 23, 2005, 08:28 PM
This is how I'd rank wild game flavor and quality:
1) wild boar

2) buffalo

3) axis deer

4) elk / red stag

Mule deer, whitetails, coastal blacktails, and antelope are okay but not as delicious as my list above.
Jack

fisherman66
August 23, 2005, 10:37 PM
I'll take dove breast stuffed with a jalapeneo filled with cream cheese and the whole thing wrapped in bacon

Chicken fried spring jake

Young doe backstrap wrapped in bacon grilled medium/medium-rare.

Quail stewed with cream of mushroom and corn over biscuits

Last on my list (and for good reason) is neelgai. Ohh, that was aweful, but it was probably the drunk cook.

2rugers
August 24, 2005, 08:53 AM
bobcat.

Superhornet
August 25, 2005, 07:14 AM
Slip your lips on some Beaver. It is good !!!!

308Enfield
August 25, 2005, 07:29 AM
I have to put my vote in for pheasant; properly prepared its the most tender and most flavorful meat I've ever had from the field.

Charles S
August 25, 2005, 08:35 AM
I voted for Deer, but I love feral hogs, elk, ducks.

You get the picture. Well prepared game meat is my favorite meal.

Charles

sum-rifle
August 29, 2005, 12:57 AM
I absolutely love quail basted in butter and baked in an oven for 15 minutes!
I voted for Moose however.
Elk would be a close second.
Wild Pig is fantastic and is becoming the #1 big game animal in California.
Bear (sausage and roasts) I have had has also been wonderful.

I have never had Bison/Buffalo but I am guessing it is great.
I have heard Mountain Lion is a very sweet tasting meat.

Pheasant and dove are good but I think Wild Turkey outclasses them both by a wide margin.

trooper3385
September 21, 2005, 01:52 AM
I don't think anyone has listed this one, but the best tasting meat that I have ever had is Nilgia Antelope. Guess its a Texas thing.

Superhornet
September 21, 2005, 06:34 AM
Put your lips on some beaver.......its the best....

Mike P.
September 21, 2005, 10:09 AM
I chose rabbit. When I was a kid, I used to eat it alot at one of my friends' houses when I was a kid. It was either pan fried in bacon grease or lard. It was real tender and not gamy at all. As soon as one was shot, my friends' dad would skin and gut it, and then but it in a bucket full of cold brine water. I don't know if it was the best tasting game meat, but it was so much more tender and juicy than the DRY, tough barbecued rabbit that I'd had before that it stuck in my mind.

Evader1
September 21, 2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks everyone! It's almost lunchtime and I'm ready to eat my notepad! I love meat to begin with but I'd say mine would be Bear and Venison followed by Squirrel and Rabbit. Bear is delicious. But when it comes to Backstrap from a Doe, That makes the hunt all worth it (and the butchering) when you've got a nice piece of medium-rare backstrap grilled with a special seasoning blend I make or wrapped in bacon, heck even with mashed taters and gravy. It's so tender and juicy you don't even want a knife. Mmmm Backstraps!!! Bear you can eat in stew or just a nice bear steak and you can't go wrong! Rabbit with biscuits and gravy or even squirrel, man, that's some down home cooking right there!!! Then again I'm a mountain boy at heart so I just love that kind of stuff! I even like heading to the stream down the road though and pulling out a few trout for grilling with some butter and seasoning. Although nothing beats a good hearty venison stew on a cold fall or winter day!! Can I get an Amen!?!!?!

FrontSight
September 21, 2005, 02:58 PM
I wish I could say I've tasted all of these...

ct456568
October 8, 2005, 08:34 PM
What does bear meat taste like?

Capt Charlie
October 8, 2005, 08:42 PM
Only had it once. It was tough, coarse, greasy, and gamey. Once was enough.

Wildalaska
October 8, 2005, 09:30 PM
What does bear meat taste like?

Prepared properly absolutely delish! As long as its from a young blackie.

I voted deer, although moose would be second

WildcornfeedwhitetailyumAlaska

AJ Peacock
October 8, 2005, 09:37 PM
I helped cook a Bobcat over a cedar fire in eastern Utah in my youth. It was delicious, it tasted a lot like the Quail that he had obviously been eating.

Venison tenderloin rolled in pepper and cooked on a hot grill is REALLY hard to beat though.

AJ

Holman
October 19, 2005, 10:01 PM
Venison chili, jerky, and sausage! mmmmmmmmmm :)

clt46910
October 21, 2005, 10:45 AM
Dove breast roasted in wild rice...

Chunked venison cooked up in pinto beans with fried potatoes and cornbread on the side...

Small Butter fried venison steaks with eggs and fried potatoes for breakfast....
(meat has to be processed right for steaks to be tender)

Tenderized rabbit cooked slow over coals with pinto beans on the side and homemade white bread....

Diced rabbit, quail, and dove cooked together into a stew with dumplings baked over the top....

Just a few...I love to cook wild game...:D

rapier144
October 21, 2005, 11:15 AM
its a toss up between cougar or beaver tail.

dgc940
October 23, 2005, 10:50 PM
frog legs for me