PDA

View Full Version : lets play BS or not...

Ac1d0v3r1d3
June 10, 2005, 08:58 PM
I was talking to my buddy from alaska the other day, he was telling me about taking his first Caribou with an SKS at 400 yards. He said he put 8 rounds into an area about the size of a fist, in the kill zone right behind its shoulders. So i'm thinking Yeah Right. what do ya'll think, BS or not?

JohnKSa
June 10, 2005, 09:07 PM
Sounds ok to me...

...as long as he's talking about shooting from a rest...

...at a stationary target...

...at no more than 100 yards.

jonathon
June 10, 2005, 09:24 PM
Sure it wasn't 100 feet? ;)

MeekAndMild
June 10, 2005, 11:19 PM
Why did he shoot 8 rounds? :rolleyes:

You could always test him. At 400 yards a fist would be about the size of a horsefly at 20 yards. So ask him to shoot a horsefly from the top of a patty of BS at 20 yards with his SKS. But watch for backsplashes!

Paul B.
June 11, 2005, 01:24 AM
And the farmer hauled another load away. :rolleyes:
Paul B.

Rojoe67
June 11, 2005, 05:08 AM
Is this SKS super modified? ;)

I think his story was..... ;)

The Caribou that I took at about 165 yards was hit with a 270's 150g Remington Core Lokt.... He didn't hold still until 30 yards later when he expired. I have the feeling if your friend hit (very unlikely) a Caribou at 400 yards he would have had a problem getting 7 more into the animal period. I guess just about any story is possible if you repeat it and convince yourself of it.... Well, at least it might sound real to some folks....

I think the energy of a 123g SP out of an SKS at 400 yards must be about the same as a fly swatter to my rump? Well, maybe a little more but I just don't think your friend has all his facts right???? Maybe he meant a different rifle and was just kidding you about all those shots in a fist sized zone? ;)

I think your Alaskan buddy is trying to pull one over on his West Coast friend???

Springer45
June 11, 2005, 05:32 AM
...and still steaming.

Trxxx
June 11, 2005, 05:58 AM
Anyone taking their first shot at a caribou at 400 yds with an SKS needs to spend more time on honing their hunting skills than their storytelling skills.

LAK
June 11, 2005, 06:37 AM
A dead caribou might stand completely still for eight shots arriving in a fist-sized grouping anywhere on it's body .. if it was propped up.

XavierBreath
June 11, 2005, 06:55 AM
http://bayourovers.com/bsmeter.gif

joab
June 11, 2005, 07:37 AM
It could happen (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=GQZ4SMUWDLSEPTQSNOISCNOOCJVZIIWE?id=0027597416084a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&_requestid=5372)

stevelyn
June 11, 2005, 08:32 AM
cough cough cough Bullsit cough cough cough :rolleyes:

22-rimfire
June 11, 2005, 09:38 AM
Reminds me of the story of the great Elmer Keith dropping a wounded Mule deer (running) at 600 yards in 1958 with a 44 magnum revolver...., two hits out of six tries with one 44 mag bullet passing through the chest area (ie completely through both sides). Remember, the 44 magnum had just been introduced in 1955 and only had barely began to make the gun writers circuit. Truth or Fiction?

Eghad
June 11, 2005, 10:18 AM
Man the Lifeboat x 2 and this thread is useless without pics for the great hunter

GUNSMOKE45441
June 11, 2005, 01:46 PM
Elmer aint here so I'll have to say, If Elmer said he did it he did!!
However the Ak story leaves a bit to be desired. :)

bill k
June 11, 2005, 02:08 PM
Did he mention if the caribou was running downhill with a 30 MPH crosswind also.

steveno
June 11, 2005, 02:25 PM
was the caribou in season? I think that if he would have a waited a little longer a bolt of lightning would have struck the caribou and saved him the ammo. it was either one hell of a lucky shot(or bunch of lucky shots) or BS. I'm inclined to go along with the BS

Rojoe67
June 11, 2005, 02:58 PM
Sorry, but I just researched Remington's ballistics on a 125g PSP for the SKS. The biggest giggle I had was the drop at 400. Sighted in at 150 for a zero this power house will drop 51.3" @400. That is one heck of a rainbow pass. The energy is like 473 and the velocity is around 1000.... I don't think Ted Nugent could even get that one with his bow ;)

Sorry, I love what Uncle Ted gives to shooting sports. I just don't think even he could match this shot....... ;) That drop is over 4' boys and girls..... Must be one heck of a bullet drop compensator on that SKS scope ;)

Ac1d0v3r1d3
June 11, 2005, 05:01 PM
he SAYS that he was using the iron sites, and they are adjustable out to 3-400 meters. anyway i'm should be going shooting with the guy this weekend, hopefully he'll show me how great he is with an sks. haha

CaptainRazor
June 11, 2005, 05:28 PM
From my experience, people that make these types of claims think 400 yards is about the length of a football field.

It's BS, I ain't buying it.....at all.

yorec
June 11, 2005, 05:43 PM
Seems it's unanimous.... And it stinks. :rolleyes:

just one question
June 11, 2005, 06:32 PM
I dont think it was bs..... probably a very big exageration. Maybe he meant to say feet :D

JMag
June 11, 2005, 07:01 PM
I'd like to hear him clarify the distance AND the eight shots! Eight shots? 400 yards?? All righty then... :rolleyes:

steveno
June 11, 2005, 07:26 PM
I think 400 feet would have been a really long shot for this guy.

Mannlicher
June 11, 2005, 08:03 PM
No more BS, than half the stuff you read online. Ever notice how many rifles that are bragged about online shoot sub MOA, but when you go to the range, you see that most of the guys just can't seem to shoot that well?

Trxxx
June 12, 2005, 05:49 AM
..or maybe you just picked him up wrong. Maybe he fired 400 shots at 8 caribou and hit one in the kill zone.... ;)

JohnKSa
June 12, 2005, 03:26 PM
To clarify my somewhat flip original post:

An 8 shot fist-sized group (4") at 400 yards is pretty impressive shooting. I wouldn't immediately call BS just based on group size and distance although I'd be skeptical.

The fact that this feat was supposed to have been accomplished with a budget semi-auto rifle with hunting ammunition on a non-paper target (no clear aimpoint) and from a field position puts it solidly into the realm of wishful thinking.

I'm willing to be educated, but I think a person would be hard pressed to get an SKS to shoot 8 shot 4" groups at 200 yards under ideal conditions.

Shorthair
June 12, 2005, 04:00 PM
An 8 shot 4" group at 400 yards with a solid scoped bolt gun from a field rest by the average shooter is damn near unbelievable in my opinion, with an SKS its impossible. I'd challenge him to shoot a 4" 8 round group at 100 yards. Make it for something interesting, like his rifle. Hell, you can probably bet your truck and you'd still have an SKS in your safe by nightfall.

the possum
June 13, 2005, 05:51 PM
I'm also calling BS. Take him to a range and see what kind of groups he really can shoot @ 400 yards with his SKS.

We used to have a "gong" set up 400 yards behind my dad's house. It was an inch thick steel plate, about a foot wide and two feet tall. After my buddy became flustered that he couldn't seem to hit it with his new .22-250, he told me to try with my SKS. I leaned over the hood of our old car, and hit it three times with three shots.

But, it wasn't moving, I had practiced on it plenty already, and I couldn't repeat that feat the next time I tried. I know I couldn't do it now, since I don't get to shoot much these days.

The bullets did leave considerable craters in the steel- they were not quite as deep as the ones left by my brother's .300 Win Mag, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on the recieving end at that range. I do not doubt that they could penetrate deep enough to sever a major blood vessel at that range.

dfaugh
June 14, 2005, 07:09 AM
I have a pretty accurate SKS (-M) with a scope...I say pretty accurate based on what others have said they get from their guns. Now, on a bench, and shooting slowly, I can manage about 1.25-1.5 MOA, with good ammo. So putting them into a a fist sized hole at 400 yards is pretty implausible. But to put 8 rounds in, he'd have be shooting pretty fast, and there's no way with ANY of my SKSs I could fire, re-aquire the target, shoot and repeat, and place all the bullets into such a small area (or even a much larger one for that matter!)

Shorthair
June 14, 2005, 12:59 PM
Isn't there a mag capacity violation here? Most hunting regs limit capacity to 5 rounds.
Just another reason I doubt the veracity.

redhawk41
June 17, 2005, 11:40 AM
taking a 400 yd shot at a large game animal like an alaskan caribou with a cartridge like the 7.62x39 is both unethical and silly. the 7.62x39 is at best a 100 yd small deer cartridge. Rojoe67 has illustrated this, ballistically.

let's hope, for the sake of the caribou that this is BS

guntotin_fool
June 20, 2005, 10:35 PM
put your teflon suit on, cuz this fellow is really slinging it.

Lawyer Daggit
June 20, 2005, 11:11 PM
SKS's, like AK 47's are not designed for accurate shooting- I would be surprised if even casting aside the amount of holdover required, if his gun is doing better than pale size groups at 400 metres- I suspect he is BS'g.

Pointer
June 21, 2005, 01:33 AM
I'd bet this "four-flusher" couldn't shoot a "fist-sized group" at 100 yds - ;)

Benchrest! :rolleyes:

With a 30-06! :p

Hell, I'm a pretty decent rifleman, and I would have trouble seeing a Caribou at 400 yards! Much less visualizing a fist-sized BULLs-eye on the target! :D

Jseime
June 22, 2005, 05:53 PM
yeah ill believe that. when i see an SKS chambered in .325 WSM.

but seriously who does he think hes gonna fool.

i know a guy with a 7mm-08 who shoots constantly and he actually put three shots into an area that could almost be covered with your hand at a dead run on an elk. of course this was only about 50 yards or so not 400 and i doubt he could do it twice