PDA

View Full Version : people with HD shotguns what else do you use it for

coolridelude
May 23, 2005, 05:27 PM
hello
WHAT ELSE DO YOU use the shotgun for?
hunting, trap(for fun like backyard).

i know what the main purpose, but do you use it for anything else?

just curious
thanks

jonathon
May 23, 2005, 05:43 PM
Rabbits, Trap, and shooting junk cars :cool:

Good way to do a systems check once and a while.

coolridelude
May 23, 2005, 05:53 PM
for trap, do you use the same barrel or do you change it? just wondering

what shot do you use for rabbit?

i will be using mine(when i get it) for HD and for paloma(dove), and blow things us. :D just to make sure the gun works :D

Lycanthrope
May 23, 2005, 06:12 PM
I use my 22" Remmy Compmaster for 3 gun and skeet as well.

May 23, 2005, 06:43 PM
I don't use mine for anything else.

tollfree969
May 23, 2005, 07:11 PM
I shoot clays with my 1300 Defender (18" barrel), and whatever the hell I think needs to be shot up.

Skeetin'870
May 23, 2005, 07:25 PM
I use my 870 for trap. I would use it for skeet but it has no vent rib and that makes for odd shooting

tollfree969
May 23, 2005, 07:28 PM
I don't have a vent rib and it shoots just as well as any other gun that I have shot.

Dfariswheel
May 23, 2005, 07:33 PM
Over the years, a lot of "riot" guns have been used as quail guns.

Years ago, the main Winchester rep used to hunt quail with a battered Winchester Model 12 with an 18" Cylinder Bore barrel.

He could have ANY Winchester gun he wanted, including the fabulous Winchester Model 21 double, but he used the old Model 12 and always got his limit.

It'll do fine for quail.
Load it with slugs, and it's a deer, boar, bear, or other big/dangerous game gun.

Loaded with shot, it's a great dense cover rabbit gun.

Loaded with buckshot, it's a great shorter range deer gun for states that allow or mandate shot.

Nimitz87
May 23, 2005, 07:44 PM
have 2 870's one strictly for HD and the other for turkey...

so the HD gun stays at home...870P :cool:

Chad

coolridelude
May 23, 2005, 08:48 PM
so the 18" barrel works well.
how does it fare with trap or skeet.
was thinking about that on my grandfather's property.

so i guess the HD is good for other things
thanks very informative everybody

jonathon
May 23, 2005, 09:16 PM
for trap, do you use the same barrel or do you change it? just wondering

what shot do you use for rabbit?

i will be using mine(when i get it) for HD and for paloma(dove), and blow things us. just to make sure the gun works

For non competition trap, the 18" barrel works great.... I found that if I worked at it, I could easily break the pigeons.

Rabbits I just use whatever I have laying around... last couple have just been lead #7 birdshot. Once, used an old box of 00 buckshot, lets say that the spread of 00 buckshot is only about 3 inches at the range I shot it at(maybe 50 feet).. and lets say the only really intact part of the bunny was his head :eek:

I shoot clays with my 1300 Defender (18" barrel), and whatever the hell I think needs to be shot up

That pretty much defines me.. always wondered what a slug would do to a car door, well, now I know :D

Dave McC
May 24, 2005, 09:20 AM
A short barreled repeating shotgun does a sterling job on close range birds. I've taken dozens of quail, woodcock, ringnecks and even a grouse with a zero choked shotgun with a bunty barrel. Many HD shotguns will work well for anything under 30 yards with proper loads.

Shotgun Sports Magazine had an article a couple years back on some guys in Colorado that used shotguns and slugs for Elk. Most of the ones mentioned in the articles were "Serious" shotguns.

My HD 870 is used for nothing else at the moment. The other 5 870s here serve across the whole spectrum of shotgun activities. Same controls, Same "Chops". same effectiveness.

chris in va
May 24, 2005, 04:48 PM
I bought a Benelli Nova 20ga and installed the 3 shot extension for HD, but found it never resides next to my bed after all. It's just too easy to leave the P11 sitting on the nightstand.

I do get some interesting looks at the trap range though with the Nova.

partyguy816
May 24, 2005, 05:33 PM
My HD shotgun is just that. HD. About once every 6 months or so I'll go out and pop off a couple of rounds though it, but that's it.

UziAnnie
May 24, 2005, 07:57 PM
Use mine in competition shoots--and just to blast holes in thingsfor fun. Am going to try trap shooting soon. Right beside bed at nighty-night time for HD.

9mmMike
May 24, 2005, 09:55 PM
Until I bought my '55 WM that I am determined to learn to shoot, I shot my HD almost every weekend at hand or manual-machine thrown trap. Sadly, the barrel is too short for some Trap ranges but it is a real hoot to shoot at Sporting Clays, rifle sights and all......
Mike

GunsnRovers
May 24, 2005, 10:00 PM
My ex-LEO Wingmaster is a dedicated HD shotgun. My 1950's Wingmaster has a 20" rifle sighted barrel and a 30" tube and is my "sporting" shotgun.

foghornl
May 25, 2005, 09:20 AM
My Maverick 88 wears the 18-1/2" barrel for Homland Security and deer hunting, with the 28" modified choke for all other field & woods use.

Death from Afar
May 25, 2005, 04:17 PM
My 870 with its 20 inch barrel is pretty bad on bunnies actually. Its great for night shooting, but pattersn are just to ragged with #4-6 shot to be ideal. So I screw off the barrel, and out on a 26 inch full choke and we are in business. I love that gun!

Duxman
May 26, 2005, 11:18 AM
Before going to a 3 gun shoot (Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle) - I fired a grand total of 10 shotgun rounds.

68 rounds and 1 3 gun competition later - I am getting much more use of my Mossberg 500.

hoosierdaddy
May 28, 2005, 09:05 AM
Now wait just a second. Everyone knows HD shotguns means hoosierdaddy's shotguns. Ya'll best be bring them back straight away!

I have a different take on it. My home defense shotgun IS my hunting and clays shotgun. I figure I'm going to shoot clays and birds many many many times before I have the need to defend the castle. Just my thought.

Anyway ya'll just be bringin back my shotguns, ya hear?

Bob F.
May 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
870 HD 18" cyl bore: use it for everything, of course!!

Actually, the choke's a little open for trap, unless I use 00 buck! Hornady TAP groups real tight!!

That gun's a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay safe.
Bob

shojin
June 2, 2005, 08:19 PM
I actually purchased my Benelli Nova SP to take huckleberry picking in grizz country (after having two relatively close encounters). My berry picking load is the 3 inch Brenneke Black Magic. However, I got it with ghost ring sights and 2 round extention so it could double as my HD SG.

Not that I'd need the two extra rounds :D

Hello123
June 5, 2005, 01:48 PM
Duck, turkey, deer, home protection, skeet, plinking, boat paddle.

rugerdude
June 5, 2005, 07:45 PM
My uncle's 590 with the marine coat finish works AMAZINGLY well for me in skeet. I've shot 4 rounds of skeet with it and I got one 19 and 3 22s. I have a full length O/U that I'll shoot around 19 with on average. I have never busted more than 22.

I don't know why, but that 20in. barrel helps me a lot.

Romulus
June 5, 2005, 11:05 PM
for stress therapy...cleaning, lubing, and otherwise babying... :eek:

my prrrressshhhuuuus....

Edward429451
June 5, 2005, 11:23 PM
I have both barrels for my 870. The original long barrel that came with the WM and picked up a police trade in barrel for it later. I've shot some informal trap with the short barrel and its ok, I hit more clays than I thought I could with it. The long barrel is usually on it for that though. When I get home and clean it up the short barrel goes on it for around the house.

sm
June 5, 2005, 11:30 PM
Well...

-Paddles
-Breaks ice so you wade in/ out
-Unloaded 870 , and used as ...err..."tweaked fireman carry" allows one to carry a older fella out of the woods with a sprained ankle faster.
-Unloaded and put in the door latch keeps the Hunting buddies from getting into the Duck / Deer cabin when its cold and sleeting. :D [ I couldn't find the bar in my haste to beat them back...]
-Above works when you find out the wooden bar was burned as firewood by mistake by a guest. We needed to secure the door at night...
-Great for holding those thorny vines off you while you cuss and machete

-Caveat: I don't care if the word "Marine" is on a 870 - they won't float, nope no way. I checked twice to make sure...

"Not much a fella can't do with $700 and a ought-six" Same can be pretty much said for a Pump shotgun too...

-Yes you can catch a fish with braided fishing line tied to the muzzle, safety pin for a hook and bait from under a rock....ya don't wanna know....

Death from Afar
June 6, 2005, 03:23 PM
Like Edward, I have 2 barrels for my 870. So it is used for everything. It shoots like a dog without rifle sights with slugs mind you.

seeker_two
June 7, 2005, 09:07 AM
When it's not in the closet, I use my Coach Gun for ventilating invading cola cans, water bottles, and overripe fruit that tries to overrun our shooting range.... :D

When I find a good 9mm carbine (wife shoots them better than shotguns) for HD, then the Coach Gun will be my truck gun... :cool:

utaherrn
June 8, 2005, 04:35 AM
somebody say "pull"! :D

johnbt
June 8, 2005, 08:54 AM
"-Yes you can catch a fish with braided fishing line tied to the muzzle,"

Why? Did you run out of ammo? :D

John

sm
June 8, 2005, 09:06 AM
"-Yes you can catch a fish with braided fishing line tied to the muzzle,"

Well...

Word is[tm] this and some other life experiences "just might" be revealed, just might indeed. ;)

Folks on TFL don't run around in condition white anyway, so just being aware of surroundings, watching six, and paying attention to where that "muzzle" is pointed , well.... :D

115grfmj
June 8, 2005, 09:11 AM
I've got a 20" turkey barrel on mine. I use it for deer, upland, duck, small game, HD, and I don't do too bad on the trap range either (really ****** off
the $1500. o/u crowd :D :D ). For me specialized shot guns are not
cost effective enough.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13329&stc=1