PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually prefer round nose bullets?

Dogger
November 1, 2000, 11:42 AM
I know that the modern spitzer has many advantages... but do any of you actually prefer hunting with round nose bullets? Does anyone load up their 6.5, 7mm, or .308 with round nose bullets for hunting? Hornady offers a round nose interlock in a wide variety of calibers. What are your pet loads and for what game? Thanks.

opusxx
November 1, 2000, 12:40 PM
remington 180 gr corelockt and 165 gr spire point.
i know that the ballistic tip is all the rave now but i have seen to many people shoot close in game w/ them and lose the game. i think they are best used out of 100 yards.
then what do you do when one walks up at 25 yards.
i like the consistancy of the coelockt's. i have been using them in my 308 BLR for 13 years w/ optimum results.

Al Thompson
November 1, 2000, 06:01 PM
You don't really get the advantages of spitzers until you go past 200 yards. The nice thing about roundnose bullets is that you have a bit more room to adjust the bullet seating depth if you reload. My experiance indicates that they shoot much better than folks realize.

My favorite whitetail load for close hunting was the .30 caliber 170 grain Nosler Partition flatpoint. I used it in an '06 with great results. I'll probably resurrect something similar for my .308 Scout.

Giz

Poodleshooter
November 1, 2000, 06:51 PM
My 30/30's tubular magazine does :D Seriously though, most folks are kidding themselves loading up for Eastern whitetails with the most expensive spitzer boattails. A flat base spitzer is all you need, and under 150 yds, there's no practical difference for the round nose either. I have some 180gr core-lokt roundnoses loaded up as my .308 black bear load.

BadMedicine
November 1, 2000, 08:17 PM
Unless I wanna pay over $2. a pop, that's all that available for my .375 H&H. My bullets are already between $1.25-$1.50 each. Guess that just what you have to deal with for a descent coyote load :) All I've bought for my .30-06 have been round nose too. The bullets I bought were 180gr. Cuz I was going to use it for moose, before I got my bigger gun. I think I'm going to get into reloading soon. My shooting is getting more expensive all the time.

Al Thompson
November 1, 2000, 10:06 PM
Bad - you won't spend less money, but you will shoot more! :-)

Giz

Dave McC
November 2, 2000, 06:45 AM
Back around 84,I got a wild hair and worked up a "brush" load for the '06. Starting with the 170 gr Nosler Ballistic tip flatnose used in the 30-30, it used a starting load of IMR 4350 to give maybeso 2600 FPS MV. 100 yard groups were cloverleafs if I did my part. The only deer I got with that load was a cripple I finished off for someone,but it had a lot of potential. Shortly thereafter WE got another baby in, so I sold that 06 and most of the other fun stuff.

Nevada Fitch
November 4, 2000, 07:18 PM
Well,everybody has different experiences,I have shot deer with all kinds of calibers and bullets except the more expensive high dollar bullets.And MY favorite round for deer is a 200grain Sierra round nose loaded behind 58grains of H4895 in my 350 Remington Mag.with a 22inch barrel.That big round nose slaps deer hard.I have had more one shot drop them in their tracks kills with that load than any thing else I have used.One bullet that I personaly think is too heavy for deer is the 180 grain corelock spitzer in 308.I have seen several failures to expand with that factory round on deer by me and others.another round that has worked fine for me is a Speer 180grain Flat-SP loaded behind 59grains of H4895 in my 350.What is really nice is both loads the Sierra and the Speer hit at exactly the same point of impact at 200 yds for me.I can use them both interchangeably.

Tony Rumore
November 8, 2000, 12:54 PM
As a kid, I shot a lot of deer and hogs with a Ruger #1A, .243 using Hornady 100gr round nose bullets. They always worked fine for me.

beertrucker
November 9, 2000, 05:55 AM
Nevada, glad to hear your post. I know you shouldn't do buisness with family, but I did. My wifes nephew had to have my Interarms MK-X in 350 RemMag. The next year I was just as amazed as him when the ammo was discontinued. I loaned him a gun last year and told him to get some dies and I'd work up a load for it. Two nights ago he showed up witha box of those 200 gr round noses and a rusty set of 35Rem dies.Duh. Of course Wis deer season starts a weeek from sat and there are no dies available at any local shops. He's getting real pissy about the whole thing even when I sold him the gun that with the price of ammo it would be best to load for it. I really like th rifle and will be buying it back as soon as I can get the checkbook in order. Ya got any other pet loads? What do ya think the trajectory is with that 200 gr load? This is a custom assembled rifle with a nice stiff barrel and synthetic stock. beertrucker-x

Nevada Fitch
November 9, 2000, 09:17 PM
Beertrucker,that 200grain load drops about 10 inches at 300yds with a 200yd zero give or take a little.Those loads have worked so good for me on deer that I haven't tried much else in it.I may work up a good 250grain load some day when I get time.Ken Waters shows some loads all the way up to a 300Barnes at 2250fps.He also shows several loads for 250grain bullets up to almost 2500fps in his book on pet loads.That book is well worth the money for handloaders.

BadMedicine
November 9, 2000, 10:17 PM
This is a chart from an article in the "November 2000 North american hunter" magazine that I got in the mail today.
The article is called " "What's the point" and is on page 86.

http://www.geocities.com/mellamobobo/hchart.jpg

The chart show's how a .30-06 springfield, 180 gr. bullet reacts. The The red line is the round nose, the blue is ballistic (pointed) tip. (I included that, cuz I didn't know how the pic would show. :))

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>You don't really get the advantages of spitzers until you go past 200 yards. [/quote]

Boy did Giz. hit that nail on the head!! They're dead on at 200, but the ballistic only drops 5" at 300, where the round nose goes 10'.

[This message has been edited by BadMedicine (edited November 09, 2000).]