PDA

View Full Version : What .243 ammo for deer?

BTR
November 9, 2000, 10:32 AM
I bought my dad some Winchester Supreme "power point plus," 100 grains. Is this a good brand?

Thanks.

DAVID NANCARROW
November 9, 2000, 12:33 PM
It seems to be a good product in my experience. The bullet expands well on game out to 250 yards, flies fairly flat.

Art Eatman
November 9, 2000, 12:42 PM
By and large, the 100-grain bullets in .243 have a bit thicker jackets, so they are less likely to "blow up" and make a shallow wound. They are pretty much the accepted deer load.

I've killed some 20 or so central Texas whitetail, field-dressing at around 90 to 110 pounds; I've used the Sierra 85-grain HPBT in my handloads. Federal makes the same load, in recent years.

FWIW, Art

BTR
November 9, 2000, 01:36 PM
There's no jacket at all, that I can see- it's all exposed lead.

Keith Rogan
November 9, 2000, 01:39 PM
The Federal Premium 100 grain Nosler Partition is flat-out deer poison! I've killed at least 20 deer with that load at a variety of ranges. All except one of these was an instant kill, and the other one... well, was just a really bad shot on my part that wouldn't have been any better with any caliber/load.
It was probably just my rifle, but that load was also the most accurate of any loads I ever used in that rifle. Results may vary...

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan (http://members.xoom.com/keithrogan)