PDA

View Full Version : what caliber contender?

sjones
November 1, 2000, 04:04 PM
I am thinking about buying a conterder for deer hunting,but don't know which caliber to get. I am trying to decide between a 30-30,and a 7-30 waters.I have never shot either one in a pistol.30-30 in a rifle yes. How much do they recoil compared to a full house 44 mag in a blackhawk?I can handle that(although its not too much fun)Also from what I read,the conterder has a better trigger than the encore,is this true?What would be a good price for one?thanks ahead of time. sj

Poodleshooter
November 1, 2000, 06:55 PM
If you want a 30/30, why a Contender? That's what Win94's are for :) I never saw much advantage to a pistol that was single shot, but fired revolver cartridges. Go with an Encore and a more potent chambering. My dad has one in 7mm-08. Now THAT's a deer cartridge! As for the recoil, I would rather fire his 7mm-08 than my Super Blackhawk!

Cris
November 1, 2000, 07:22 PM
I have a 14" .30-30 Contender barrel that I am very pleased with. I use this gun for deer and just shooting in general. I handload with either 125 or 135 gr bullets and recoil is actually more managable than 300 gr full loads from my Ruger SRH - 9 1/2" barrel. Either would be a fine choice for hunting, but I think I perfer the .30-30 (a little more speed over the 7mm caliber using the same weight bullet). But, then again, this is just personal peference.

rr41mag
November 1, 2000, 10:33 PM
I just shot my friends encore in a 15" BBL .243 cal. It kicks about like a .44

GET AN ENCORE!!!! more BBL choices

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!

Reloadaholic
November 1, 2000, 11:25 PM
Have you checked out the Contender in 30 Herret? Most reloading manuals say it works as well and better in some aspects then its parent cartridge 30-30. This year will be the first time it will see deer hunting using a 150gr Sierra SPBT.

labgrade
November 2, 2000, 06:15 PM
The 30 Herrit's better than the 30-30 but you do have to go through the brass reforming, etc. (no clue if it's available commercially). There's much better cartridges available than teh Herrits these days.

I've a .309 JDJ which will do elk & is very accurate. But there's that brass reforming thing again - not for everybody.

Encores are probably the way to go if you're set on using a rifle cartridge in a single-shot & don't want to have to reform brass.

gunmart
November 3, 2000, 08:33 AM
why dont you try the 300 wisper.it uses the 221 fireball case necked up to .308.i shoot the corbon ammo in it.its a 125 gr at 2200 fps.i am going to load up some ballistic tips next year and see how they shoot.