PDA

View Full Version : spas 12

unclefester1790
May 5, 2005, 03:31 PM
i'm about to buy a spas 12 with the folding stock. has anyone got any advice or had any experience with one?

Casp_A
May 10, 2005, 01:31 PM
SPAS-12.com (http://www.spas12.com)

Read this whole site. (http://www.spas12.com) There's some very important safety information on it. The SPAS-12 is cool, but the original safety system on it is defective and very dangerous.

WillBrayjr
May 10, 2005, 01:43 PM
Huge shotgun, not only huge but bulky and very heavy. I was going to buy the airsoft version to play around with, but after seeing one in for repair at the shop I decided not too.

keens
May 11, 2005, 06:36 PM
I used to own one. It shot very well, but was heavy. It looks very cool though. It may need some breaking in in semi auto mode...and make sure you keep it clean. I had to muscle it a bit in pump mode...but it was a fun gun to shoot, own and play with. I sold mine for $650 in 1989, because I needed the $$ then.
Now a little older and hopefully wiser, my HD shotgun is the Rem 870 with flashlight mounted and extended magazine with Wilson follower and spring...If you want one get it...I do not think you will be sorry, but the coolness factor may wear off a bit when your friends are next to you with their 870's. Just my experience...the coolness factor may last a lifetime for some...in that case, well, enjoy!

Casp_A
May 11, 2005, 07:43 PM
Again, I stress that you be very careful with the safety system. The SPAS-12 can be found with two types of safeties; the original lever safety and the newer crossbolt safety. The lever safety trigger-groups were recalled by the factory for a good reason. There's no way to tell the good from the bad, 'cause the're all bad. Every group was working fine when it left the factory and if yours still works fine then you have a time bomb. The problem: after a certain amount of use and wear the parts begin to contact and work in a way that they shouldn't, making the safety lever basically act as a second trigger discharging the gun every time you flip it. Because of the switch of importers and the banning and all that, most SPAS-12s were not updated and most of them still have the original lever-style safety. If yours has the crossbolt safety group that replaced the lever safety group, fantastic. If not, be very cautious!!! And here's that link again: SPAS-12, SAS-12 and LAW-12 safety recall. (http://www.spas12.com/spassafety.htm)

Edit: you know what, I'm gonna go ahead and email this guy.

Dropped Hammer
May 21, 2005, 07:23 PM
Is the Spas 12 still made??...I saw one used at a local gun store for 800 bucks..to me this seemed a little steap...Is it possible to buy a brand new one??..I can't seem to find anything concerning newly manufactured Franchi Spas 12's..

Casp_A
May 24, 2005, 01:53 PM
Nope. The SPAS-12 and SPAS-15 were banned from importation in '94 and I believe the 12 was dropped from Franchi's product line in '95.

Old Jimmy
November 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
I cannot get the link to work, I have copied and pasted it, typed it and it says it cant find the website.

I just bought a Spas 12 and it has the lever safety so I was trying to find out how to get it fixed.

Noskov
November 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
The website is spas12.com, not SPAS-12.com, minor error.

I believe you may not be able to do anything about the lever safety. I was in the market for a Spas-12 and read about the safety issue on the website mentioned above. Not positive but when Franchi did the recall on the lever safety they did the conversions themselves for customers or sold the parts to do so. Not sure they offer either choice anymore. :(

Old Jimmy
November 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
I contacted Franchi and all they could say was we didnt sell them then, FIE did so they said...... sorry about your luck. I told them I wont be buying any Benili shotguns then.