View Full Version : Colorado Elk hunting
October 24, 2000, 12:28 PM
Ok for the first question had no luck this year. But it was the first hunt for my son and I, and my first hunt in about 10 years. So i guess that it was not expected to be sucessfull, some what rusty at this but alot of it came back to me. There were so many dang DEER I dont know why they have limited the number of licences here. Any one else have any reports for colorado I was in area 17.
October 24, 2000, 04:27 PM
I'm off to area 78 from Nov 3 - Nov 12 with a buck and a cow tag. I'll let you know how I fare.
The percentage of elk tags filled annually is something around 25%, iirc, so don't feel too bad. (If I'm off on that number, please correct me.)
October 24, 2000, 06:34 PM
There are areas in Wyoming where the success rate is closer to 65 per cent and I know several outfitters who have gone 100 per cent for several years running. Our deer and antelope populations are terrible, but we have more elk than at any time in our recorded history.
October 24, 2000, 09:44 PM
Just back from north central CO. For us,success worst in five years (1 of 5). Apparently too warm as many are still up high. Others scattered. Several herds reported in the area but we couldn't find 'em. Likewise, mulies everywhere. Plenty of legal bucks also. Main thing, lots of fun! :)
October 25, 2000, 12:29 PM
I should point out that despite the 25% mark I mentioned, I know several hunters who always, or at least most of the time, fill their freezers with elk meat. I called two last night: The other 75%, per them, are made up largely hunters in the wrong paces at the wrong times, or hunters that don't seem to know what they are doing. Are they right? Maybe, maybe not.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.