PDA

View Full Version : .410 Slugs thru Single Shot(please help me)

relientk1988
April 24, 2005, 10:54 PM
Hello All,

I recently purchased a NEF .410 single shot with a full choke and I have a question about slugs. I've searched the thread and there seems to be fear about screw in chokes with slugs. Since my choke is the barrel I guess I dont have to worry? Also all I can find are rifled slugs will this matter. Thirdly, will I be clearing the barrel of lead all night after shooting?

Thanks alot guys,

Ben

mtnboomer
April 24, 2005, 11:40 PM
Shooting slugs through a Full choke is not a good recipe for accuracy. The Full choke will distort the slug and cause it to do many strange and mysterious things - usually not to the target! If you want to use the gun for slugs I would suggest you have a gunsmith ream the choke out to a Modified Cylinder. As for the old wive's tale about shooting slugs through screw-in chokes, it may have been true 25 or 30 years ago but not now.

SmokinTom
April 25, 2005, 05:29 AM
You can shoot slugs through your gun.Remington 410 slugs run about .405 in diameter and Winchester,Federal slugs run about .397 in diameter.Shoot a few of each to see what your gun likes the best.Good shooting.

relientk1988
April 25, 2005, 10:57 AM
Before I ask a question I search the archives but I found so much conflicting information I wanted to ask about my particular gun. Well I got some federal rifled slugs so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again,

Ben

kudu
April 25, 2005, 08:38 PM
I think you will be surprised with the accuracy you will get from a .410 full choke gun. And rifled slugs are the only kind available in .410.

Mike P.
April 27, 2005, 11:07 PM
I've had pretty good luck with 2.5" Federal .410 slugs out of an H&R w/ a full choke.