PDA

View Full Version : whats loaded in your shotty?

Nimitz87
April 24, 2005, 01:12 PM
as the title says whats loaded in your shotgun for HD?

hows it loaded (crusier ready or something else) and whats it loaded w/ #1 buck #00 buck a mix of something etc?

and if you have a carrier on your shotgun whats in it?...

Thanks

Chad

leadbutt
April 24, 2005, 04:04 PM
For home its straight #0's nothing else, 8 in the mag chamber empty

mtnboomer
April 24, 2005, 11:32 PM
12 ga. S&B 00 Buck (12 pellet). :cool:

perception
April 25, 2005, 12:07 AM
#4 3 inch magnum loads.

doubleaes2
April 25, 2005, 08:45 AM
#4 buck in the mag, three 00 and two slugs in the butt cuff.

IZinterrogator
April 25, 2005, 09:30 AM
Mossberg M590A1 8+1 with a Sidesaddle. Empty chamber, first five rounds 00 buck, next three slugs, slugs in the Sidesaddle. Beretta 96 with an X200 next to it.

yorec
April 25, 2005, 11:12 AM
Remington 11-87 with 4 shot in butt cuff and 7 shot tube. Cruiser ready...

Twycross
April 25, 2005, 12:58 PM
Nothing in the mag or chamber. Five rounds in the buttcuff, some mix of #00 and slugs. Depends on what I stick in after coming back from the woods. Right now its four slugs and one #00 (last used hiking in bear country).

2002gti
April 25, 2005, 05:45 PM
04 buck

Denny Hansen
April 25, 2005, 06:31 PM
Slugs.

Denny

sm
April 25, 2005, 06:37 PM
Slugs

jonathon
April 25, 2005, 07:33 PM
Remington #6 birdshot. Still need to aim with it, but the ammount of shot really turns just about anything into hamburger real fast.

Though, honestly, I'd go for my SKS(the only other gun in the house thats kept loaded at all times), as I am much more proficient with it. That, and the defender feels unwieldy compared to it.

dfaugh
April 26, 2005, 07:06 AM
are usually #4 birdshot, followed by S&B 5 3" magnum 00 buckshot, magazine loaded, chamber empty. Note that this is intended to either stop the threat, or get me to my SKS-M (takes AK mags, and 4x30 rnd, and 3x40 rnd, loaded). Have 9mm Hi-point carbine, loaded with Black Talons (+P+, magazine out of gun, but handy), for backup, if I can'r quite get to the SKS.

Dave McC
April 26, 2005, 09:07 AM
00. In the sidesaddle on my primary there's 3 more 00 and two Brenekke slugs, JIC.

Edward429451
April 26, 2005, 09:43 AM
An assortment of 00 and slugs. Mostly slugs.

bean357
April 26, 2005, 09:56 AM
2 shotguns, a 20 ga with slugs and a 12 ga with 3" 4 buck

Russ5924
April 26, 2005, 11:57 AM
Wow you guys are out of my league,how about a .410 with 3" loaded with 4s.Hope none of you guys have neighbors mainly me :eek:

utaherrn
April 26, 2005, 02:24 PM
Mossberg 590, 8+1, speedfeed stock and sidesaddle. Also have a 9 round sling. Fiber optic front sight, looking for a Surefire forend next.
Chamber empty.
#4 buckshot in the tube, with 00 buck on the sidesaddle. 2 slugs on one side of the speedfeed, 2 beanbags on the other. BB shot in the loops on the sling.

Do I need more ammo for an invading horde of outlaw bikers/crazed zombies? I have a 50 round bandolier close by :D

Lt102
April 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
00 Buck in the tube and slugs in side saddle.......Oh by the way what is "cruiser ready"? round the chamber or is it somehow more involved

918sgt
April 26, 2005, 04:20 PM
I carry it from room to room with me. Chamber empty, 5 round magazine loaded. All are Dragon's breath. I can always repaint the room.

Edward429451
April 26, 2005, 04:48 PM
Oh by the way what is "cruiser ready"?

I believe cruiser ready is full tube, empty chamber, safety off. I'm, not LEO so I may be corrected by one who is.

GunsnRovers
April 26, 2005, 07:36 PM
Cruiser ready.

Downloaded 1 round in the tube (so I can pop in a slug if need be) with Hornady 8 pellet low recoil TAP.

Slugs in the saddle.

benzo1355
April 27, 2005, 06:29 PM
In mine it is 00,slug,00,00,00 that way if for some reason I can not use buck shot I can eject the buck shot and have one slug. then back to buck. I don't know it sounded like a plan to me.

benzo1355
April 27, 2005, 06:32 PM
By the way that is in a Winny 1300.

UziAnnie
April 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
12ga 00 buckshot--ready to rack and shoot!

Nimitz87
April 27, 2005, 09:54 PM
Oh by the way what is "cruiser ready"?

John recommends "cruiser ready" (full magazine, empty chamber, hammer down, safety off).....

thats off of John Farnams FAQ ....

Chad

emt118
April 27, 2005, 10:30 PM
12GAGE PUMP 00 BUCK IN CHAMBER THAN SLUG ,00 BUCK ,SLUG AND SO ON
LOADED CHAMBERED WITH SAFTY ON AND IN THE CORNER OF THE BED ROOM
( No kids in the home just me)

Dead
May 1, 2005, 04:39 PM
I would use #2 shot.

Nnobby45
May 3, 2005, 01:21 AM
Most shotguns, like the 870, are NOT drop safe. The safety keeps the trigger from being pulled, but doesn't prevent the hammer from getting loose and allowing the gun to fire if it's dropped. Carry cruiser ready. As mentioned above, that's chamber empty on a pulled trigger. That way you can just rack and shoot. Kept in the house, for safety reasons, some even keep chamber empty on a cocked gun. That way, the side stop lever has to be activated to rack the shotun. An added safety feature if the wrong person got a hold of the gun.

Low recoil Tactical buck, 00 or 000 from Federal or Winchester Ranger work fine. Forget 3" mag buckshot loads, or short magnum, also (ther're people out there who actually use that stuff :p ). Save the heavy stuff for dangerous (and big) 4 legged critters. Fast followup shots can be a life saver against intruders. If the bad guys duck behing the couch, even #4 buck may not defeat the cover. You have to measure your own over penetration safety concerns. Personally, I'd like to see some LE low recoil #1buck.

On the other hand, rifles that are unloaded make Farnham nervous. The M16, Mini 14 and most all combat rifles have a good safety system that actually blocks the hammer from falling. The rifles are drop safe.

hummelsander
May 4, 2005, 07:52 PM
Um...uhhh...ummmmm :o Empty?? :o I have some birdshot 7.5's to load in there but it's really and truly empty.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

HighVelocity
May 4, 2005, 08:58 PM
6 rounds of 12ga Winchester Ranger low recoil 00 Buck. 2 3/4" low brass.

Bob Freddy
May 5, 2005, 08:14 PM
870 w/ 00,00,Slug,00,00,Slug

00 is Winchester Super X Low Recoil 2 3/4
Slugs are Federal Maximum Hi Shock 2 3/4

Cruiser mode, saftey off

concealed but quickly accessible :cool:

BOB

Planning to switch to some Ranger Low recoil 00 8 pellet and Slugs :)

Death from Afar
May 5, 2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry guys, I do have a bit of a thing about leaving LOADED weapons lying around. Surely, if you have enough warning of a goblin coming into your house, you have enough time to grab a load of shells and cock your weapon. I would NEVER leave a loaded weapon in the house- firstly its illegal- but also I have a young boy. I just think it is a big risk.

Also, what is to stop the goblin getting to the weapon before you do? you just have handed him a loaded weapon on a plate.

I have the shotgun unloaded, but a bandolier of 00 within arms reach ( high) - to go from loaded to unloaded will take me 3 seconds.

Just my 2 cents.

Wraith
May 5, 2005, 11:45 PM
8 slugs in the tube, 1 in the pipe, saftey on.

Why? Slugs don't seem to deform nearly as much as other rounds. I never really realized how big a role deformation in shotgun rounds plays until I couldn't get my 590 to feed.

Besides... I can hit anything with slugs out of my 590. :D :cool:

As for leaving loaded weapons around, I don't have a problem with it. There aren't any little kids, the youngest being 14. When I'm not actually home I lock all the weapons up--I usually take the SKS or the 590 out when I am.

Everyone in the house should know that weapons are always loaded--I have a reminder posted in the safe.

Doug Bowser
May 6, 2005, 01:26 PM
I have just joined the forum. I teach NRA Firearms Defense in the Home. I do not think slugs and buckshot are the best choice for Home Defense. Too much penetration (you don't want to shoot your family members through a wall). #7-1/2 shot in a trap load is all that is needed. The shot group at home defense shooting distances is about 8", even with my 18" riot barrel for my 870. As one of the other forum members said, It makes mush out of anything you make a solid hit on.

Doug Bowser

Death from Afar
May 7, 2005, 04:37 AM
Wraith- I hear you , and I guess I have a young son and you know what they are like ! but I just feel very uneasy about loaded weapons "unattended"...

Kyote
May 10, 2005, 08:36 AM
Mosberg 500 Crusier. 8 rounds, first is high base copper BB, then 4 #4 buck (34 pellet count), finally 3 00 buck. Im not going to wound him with 7 1/2 and then support him the rest of my natural life! He (or she) is DRT. :D

IZHUMINTER
May 10, 2005, 08:59 AM
My Saiga-12 has 2 5-round magazines of 3' #4 and one magazine of 3' 00. I'm seriously considering having it rebuilt from the "sporter" to the "AK" configuration as well as picking up some 8 round mags...

45 Fu
May 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
5 Winchester Supreme 3" magnum buffered and plated 00 buck (15 pellets), with the same in the butt cuff. Chamber empty, hammer down, safety on. I know, I know, why put the safety on when the chamber is empty? It's just habit. When I lay a weapon down, or it leaves my hands, the safety is always on - it's a habit that I plan on sticking with. I shot a 1911 so long it took me forever to stop reaching with my thumb for the safety on my Glock.

I'm not in the city, but I'm not "out there" either, so I don't use slugs. I have them if I need them, but not with the weapon.

I have also used the 2 3/4" S&B 00 buck, and it works pretty well.

FirstFreedom
May 10, 2005, 02:04 PM
#4 buck (not 4 shot). Say, does anyone have a link to a picture comparison of all shot sizes...I can't find one.

FirstFreedom
May 10, 2005, 02:33 PM
Here, found it

Click on "Shotshell Guide" on the left side, a little ways down:

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotshell.aspx

Page 1 of the box is shot, page 2 buckshot sizes.

Ohio Annie
May 10, 2005, 03:07 PM
you and me got the same setup.

Nimitz87
May 10, 2005, 10:53 PM
Sorry guys, I do have a bit of a thing about leaving LOADED weapons lying around. Surely, if you have enough warning of a goblin coming into your house, you have enough time to grab a load of shells and cock your weapon. I would NEVER leave a loaded weapon in the house- firstly its illegal- but also I have a young boy. I just think it is a big risk.

Also, what is to stop the goblin getting to the weapon before you do? you just have handed him a loaded weapon on a plate.

I have the shotgun unloaded, but a bandolier of 00 within arms reach ( high) - to go from loaded to unloaded will take me 3 seconds.

Just my 2 cents.

heh....its illegal is it?

but anyway i load and unload the shotgun each day...its a huge PITA but im not going to leave a loaded SG under the bed incase my home is broken into while im gone.

so the 870 is loaded each night before dark... the 1911 on the other hand is in the drawer loaded in condtion #1 24/7....

Chad

Multi-G
May 11, 2005, 08:04 PM
Two old beat up, well worn 870's are cruiser ready with full tubes of good old Winchester XB100. 2.75in 9 pellet 00Buck. A good classic load for these good classic PoPo trade ins. They currenlty serve as bedroom defense. At my house PMS stands for Pass My Shotgun. (ThanksGG26) :D

The big M1S90 is Surefire and Sidesaddle equipped. Yes it runs with weak ammo with all the crap on it. It carries Hornaday TAP red 00 Buck in the tube with 3 more on the side accompanied by 3 Winchester 1oz slugs. It is in chamber empty shell on carrier go get the gobblin mode.

Glockgirl26
May 12, 2005, 10:31 AM
At my house PMS stands for Pass My Shotgun. (ThanksGG26)

No problem Sweetie. ;)

pdmoderator
May 20, 2005, 08:02 PM
2 rounds of ∞-gauge. :D

(I use other stuff for HD, but have some Federal low-recoil 00 on hand, just in case.)

- pdmoderator

Diggers
May 24, 2005, 07:11 PM
Heheh, should I mention the artical I read about #7 shot being good for HD and 00 going through the BG and the wall?................Oh, ok I won't then. :)

Nimitz87
May 24, 2005, 10:07 PM
after reading the http://www.theboxotruth.com/ i believe im going to swith out the 00 buck for #4...not sure yet i may do some tests of my own.

but i cant have the 00 buck going through 6-7 walls...not good....

i suggest others to read that website...

Chad

rwilson452
May 24, 2005, 10:13 PM
For my 12ga house gun Federal #4 Buck tactical loads Part #H132 4B I found that this load is just right for that top of the stairs to the bottom of the stairs shot. I live in a 2nd floor walkup apt. If someone comes in the front door, they will eat either all of the pattern or darn near the whole pattern provided I do my part. the nice thing is we have outside security lights on all night. anyone at or in the doorway is backlighted and the top is very dark unless I turn on a light. Jack my local PD Chief is very understanding about intruders.

partyguy816
May 24, 2005, 11:29 PM
"All are Dragon's breath. I can always repaint the room."

Uh ok whatever dude. I have 6 #4's in the tube and chamber and I'm about to have 6 slugs in the side saddle when it arrives.

Nnobby45
May 25, 2005, 02:36 AM
I know that modern springs are pretty reliable, but I'd still suggest you down load your magazines by one or two rounds to take the pressure off those mag. springs. If you load extended magazines all the way, the spring which is normally four feet long will be compressed into about 4". The spring is obviously weakened, since you only have to compare a used spring with a new one to see the results of compressing the spring over time.

For outdoor use, you can load it all the way up for days without a problem. It's being loaded up full for month after month at home I'd be concerned about. :cool:

rwilson452
May 25, 2005, 06:03 AM
a loaded firearm in the house may be legal or illegal depending on where you live. It's legal where I live and I'm single. Child safety is not a factor. I do lock it up when I leave the house.

Tomac
May 25, 2005, 06:24 AM
Another vote for S&B 12-pellet 00 Buck, cruiser ready in both my 870 Police trade-ins w/CopStocks. The S&B is inexpensive enough to use for practice as well (just picked up another 200rd case at a gunshow for $50).
Tomac

Diggers
May 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
Nimitz87, I went and read that test at thetruthbox. Pretty interesting but I found the guy to have a odd point of view. That he was lead to believe a shotgun would penetrate more than a .223? HUH? And that going through 7 drywall was good and not over penetrating. HUMMMMM That is going through at least 2 rooms (2 drywall per actual wall) and maybe into a 3rd. Thats alot.
It seems that #4 will do the same.

Geoff Timm
May 25, 2005, 06:54 PM
20 Gauge Mossberg 500,

#6 shot and #4 Buckshot.

Geoff
Who hopes he never has a gunfight in the house.

Nimitz87
May 25, 2005, 07:56 PM
yeah i agree Diggers...im not sure what to think about using a shotty inside the house now...6 layers of drywall sounds like a lot to me...

if i fire it goes through my master bedroom so thats 2 layers of drywall...the wall to the garage is 10yds away and then your into 2 more layers and then however wide a 2 car garage is...... then theres the 2 layers of drywall and exterior wall...

so 6 is my limit...and according to his tests thats #1 and #4 buck...right outside of the exterior wall on the garage side resides a BSO policemens home....facing me is his sliding glass door and into that his living room....

God help me if it went into his home....

i may need to make a "boxotruth" myself and see what load i can get away with....hmmm. and a rifle or pistol is out of the question for sure....

Chad

Al Thompson
May 25, 2005, 08:46 PM
Nimitz, I live in a snug little neighborhood and use #2 loads for first up HD.

Engagement ranges and potential backstops steered me to a lighter load. Having killed several furry critters with birdshot, I've formed the conclusioon that as long as the pellet mass is tight, the exact size of the pellet is almost immaterial. So, for 0 to 15 feet, number 8s would work. IMHO, using #2s gives me another 20 feet or so and I just don't have but one or two places that I'd need more range.

Diggers
May 26, 2005, 02:22 AM
Yeah I think Al is right. Every one seems to want to go to the extreem with ammo mostly because they can and not because they have to.
Thinking about this I begain wondering about Glaser safety slugs which have a pretty good rep, and looked up some info.
The .45 colt .44 special and .45 acp all move at 1350 fps (which is faster but not a whole lot faster than shotgun fps) and are around 150 grains.
Here is the intersting part They are filled with #12 shot.

So I would think with the distances you would shoot in your house any mid range bird shot would work, it being one mass and not spread out, and a lot more than 150 grains. It seems to me that buck shot is what it is for the purpose of longer distance situations where only some pellets would hit and with out worry about what is on the other side of the wall.

foghornl
May 26, 2005, 11:24 AM
Cruiser ready w/#4 Buck, slugs in a butt cuff, 25 more buckshot in a bandolier.