PDA

View Full Version : OK Hit this Poll: Should it be legal to shoot ferel cats.

RobertEsq1
March 9, 2005, 08:19 AM
Go to MSN and then Click on the Vote URL (in red) and cast your Vote:

Story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7130397/?GT1=6305

Poll
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7131791/

jerryd
March 9, 2005, 08:36 AM
I dont know about hunts, but here in CT in the early 80s we had a large influx of vietnamese and cambodians people in one neighborhood and the number of stray dogs and cats went to ZERO! Rumor has it they became Ranchers!! :eek:

n3twrkm4n
March 9, 2005, 09:06 AM
Barn cats get quite mean, one family around here brought one into their house and tried it as a pet... that didn't work... it ended up getting caught in a cabinet [trying to hide] and the guy tried to get it out but he ended up getting his arms TORN up by the cat and had to go to the hospital, my dad and I just went in with a fish net and got the animal. I would like the abilty to shoot them but I'm not sure on the laws here in NY... because we have a category of nuisance which we can kill if posing a threat or danger to us, livestock etc. Like ferel dogs or coyotes, racoons, skunks etc. Just tell whoever that it was rabid and it came after you ;)

artsmom
March 9, 2005, 11:02 AM
It shouldn't be okay, it should be required.

The trick is to figure out whether you are looking at a "free ranging" pet that gets most of its calories from a dish and has vet care and a truly feral cat.

Mike P.
March 9, 2005, 11:56 AM
Any cat. Both feral and non-feral, free ranging pets are non-native efficient thrill killers of wildlife, especially songbirds. Even touchy / feely bird watchers should support this.

They should be kept at home on ones own property and subject to leash laws. Laws that exempt them from leash laws should be changed too.

BTW in Oz, hunting mags advertise ammo for feral cat shooting. I don't know if Oz has a sensible public or if the governments there just use logic, instead of emotion, in wild life management.

FirstFreedom
March 9, 2005, 12:20 PM
I'm not against shooting cats if they're on your property and have no visible collar or are known to be feral, and it is safe to do so (take a shot - no nearby neighbors), but honestly, I'd rather have more cats and less birds - that is, if the cats can catch starlings and grackles. The cats can eat the starlings, which in turn fattens up the cats so that they make a nice meal for my dogs - that works.

Having said that, there sure seems to be some logic deficiency in the "arguments" of the animal lover:

Not so, says Frohman of the Maryland-based Alley Cat group. Man is a far worse predator, she said, with skyscrapers and other man-made structures killing countless migrating wild birds in collisions each year.

I'm sorry, but if a bird is not smart enough to avoid hitting a building and dying as a result, rather than going around it, then methinks its genes *need* to be culled from the pool. And, what would she have us do, knock down all existing skyscrapers to help the songbirds?

The true solution to the country’s millions of feral city and country cats, she said, is to trap them, have them spayed or neutered and then released back into the wild.

Wow. Ok, who's going to pay for that / actually get it done? If YOU'RE not, then allowing hunters to do what it is that they do is a solution - in fact, the only solution yet presented that could actually occur. And I find it interesting that she admits that there even is a problem in need of a solution, given that hers is not economically viable.

Killing them, she said, only causes colonies of existing cats to expand in size to take up the territory of those that have been eliminated.

Well, yes and no. While it's true that any hardy wild/feral species will rebound from a culling exercise eventually, in the short-term, and even perpetually, allowing hunting/culling can and will in fact reduce the numbers, as it is a matter of time - they are hunted faster than they can procreate, in all likelihood, up to a point of diminishing returns - they get harder and harder to see and hunt, allowing an equilibrium to be established at lower numbers than present. Bottom line, she's incorrect.

Mannlicher
March 9, 2005, 08:03 PM
I have zero use for cats. I have suffered no compunction of conscience for being the bete noire of many a stray tom.

JohnKSa
March 9, 2005, 08:30 PM
If that's about the Wisconsin issue, it's ALREADY LEGAL to shoot feral cats there. In fact, there's in unenforced law on their books REQUIRING hunters to kill feral cats.

DR_MAX
March 17, 2005, 05:41 PM
JohnKSa:

Are you serious? There's actually a law requiring hunters to kill feral cats?
I'd be most curious as to how it would be worded. Doesn't seem like they could rightly pass a law requiring you to kill anything. Studies have shown that a few feral cats might not be such a bad thing. It's when their numbers swell that things get out of hand. Believe it or not, the best way to keep the numbers small, and stable, is to spay/neuter the first few that show up. They will keep any new ones from coming in but will not breed to increase numbers themselves. Yea, I know, it's not likely that anyone is going to do that, but in shooting cats we all need to walk softly. Cat lovers do vote - and enough votes could mean no more guns.
Guess I forgot the initial point of this thread: yea or ney on the question?
Sorry, would have to abstain, at least for the immediate future.

stardate
March 17, 2005, 06:33 PM
Not a cat lover, but didn't London try to kill off there cats one time in history?

dasmi
March 17, 2005, 06:36 PM
I wonder how many people who saw this and voted know what "Feral" means? I bet a lot of people just thought "OH MY GOD! They want to shoot my pet cat!"
Now, I know some of you people would shoot their pet cat, but thats not the question being asked :)

JohnKSa
March 17, 2005, 09:40 PM
DR_MAX,

The comment about the unenforced law already on the books was made on THR (www.thehighroad.org) under a very similar thread in the hunting section of that forum. I have found the person who made it, Art Eatman, to be a very reliable source of information.

From what I have read, Wisconsin is not the only area with unenforced laws that encourage the killing of feral animals by hunters.

As far as Yea or Nay, the question & poll are flawed. It's already legal to kill feral cats as far as I can tell.

DR_MAX
March 18, 2005, 07:25 PM
JohnSKa:

I read thru a bunch of the posts in the forum you referred to > sound about like the ones on this forum. Everything from reasonable/constructive POVs, such as yours, to some real crack pots who would probably shoot small children if they could get away with it. Cats are just an easy target. It's obviously a huge problem all over. As several have pointed out, I just hope they can tell the ferals from the escaped house pets. As with my peer group, you landowners are forced to deal with someone else's problem; often in a way you would rather not have to.
I didn't find the reference as to how a law such as the one you mentioned would be crafted, but it would be interesting to see. Anyway, as you said, it is not illegal to shoot feral cats in most places, and not likely to be enforced even in places it is technically illegal. Would be great if there was another way.

MeekAndMild
March 18, 2005, 09:13 PM
GROAN!!! And they wonder why you never see Eastern Bluebirds anywhere near metropolitan areas? (I'm talking about the thirty mile white doughnut and not the black highrise center.) I don't want to rant here but even well fed domestic cats will kill 15 to 50 songbirds per year. That is on the same level of predation as the brown headed cowbird.

44-40
March 19, 2005, 11:21 AM
Wyoming game law, feral cats are considered varmints

Fred Hansen
March 19, 2005, 01:04 PM
It shouldn't be okay, it should be required.Bingo!

Here is a short article on one of the many reasons why (http://www.audubon.org/local/cn/98march/cats.html).

too many choices!?
March 19, 2005, 01:58 PM
Cats will eat birds...
Dogs will kill cats but usually not eat them unless really hungry, they are simply mortal enemies fighting for the same prey more or less).....
Same with lions and Hyenas....The male lions kill and usually don't eat the hyenas....
I eqaute it with drug dealers fighting over the same "turf"
Just my observations living with discovery channel , a few dogs, and fox news over the past couple years :) ....'

And yes feral cats need to be shot as they can carry disease , multiply unchecked(except for feral dogs ;)), kill local wild life and in general can be a nuisance :(

BillCA
March 19, 2005, 02:01 PM
In urban areas it can be hard to tell feral cats from an escaped neighbor's pet and with a permissive law some people would shoot any cat they found in their yard.

I suppose there are those in rural areas who will do the same.

I can tell you that if my cat (she's an indoor cat) gets out and wanders around while I'm at work and I return home to find a neighbor dispatched her, said neighbor would understand the meaning of "consequences". And I'm really more of a dog lover than a cat lover, but cats have their place.

A few years ago people were dumping unwanted cats down by my friend's ranch. Sad. Poor Fluffy or Tom didn't know how to survive in the wild. Kill a field mouse or two when hungry, but they were slowly starving. Out of 17 cats we identified, only 5 were true ferals. We rigged a carry pen and baited it with food that was doped, thanks to a local vet, to capture the cats. The ferals were beyond hope and were put down. Out of the remaining 12, there were 4 who had to be put down and the rest were cleaned up and adopted out.

If you want a law, let's allow the shooting of the people dumping these animals into the wild when they're unable to really fend for themselves.

too many choices!?
March 19, 2005, 02:04 PM
.......but funny as hell :D

TEN-RING
March 19, 2005, 02:53 PM
Show me a cat that eats starlings and I'll see a VERY hungry cat !! Let's try to get a "Bird-flu" strain that only attacks starlings. Cats may scare off a few singin'birds, but I've yet to see one climb our feeders and catch a Tweety-pie! Get real! Newly fledged robins are another thing, but robins ARE stupid, since it is now the season for them to commit suicide by diving in front of moving vehicles. Plus, cats don't buy our automobiles - - - - or put "deposits" on them, like birds do-doo. Wife and I stride about 10 mi. per week, and several times we have had to turn our route to avoid "feral" dogs. (O.K., maybe just "loosed" dogs, but they equate to your described "feral" felines) , and I also bike about 30 mi. a week. But I don't let any canine deter me from taking my chosen route. I avoid the cur as much as I can,
even riding in the gravel on the opp-side of the road. But day-to-day the beasties get braver. My permit lets me carry concealed, but I have my Glock-21 in a SOB holster, outside my shirt, where anyone can see it. I've been stopped dozens of times in 10 years by local, and state lawmen, and asked politely for my permit. Never any alarm, and the weapon is always dry-chamber. I have killed 6 dogs in ten years. Glock every time, aimed straight down, as the attacker was always right at my right ankle. Always one round: glazer-blues. Always left the corpse right where it drops. And I do use a simple brass-catcher. My biggest problem is "feral" hounds, and "feral" diesel pick-up drivers, not "feral" cats !! Am I misleading anyone ??

DR_MAX
March 19, 2005, 03:24 PM
BillCA:

Your point is well-stated (unlike my own earlier attempts to articulate my concern). Actually, in many places there is a law prohibiting animal abandonment. As with most animal cruelty laws I have been familiarized with, they are antiquated, vague, and largely unenforced, if not unenforceable. I average about ten calls a day from people who, for various reasons, want to get rid of a "disposable pet." Typically it goes something like this: "Hello, I'm moving tomorrow and I need someone to take my two cats, because they are not allowed in my new apartment." When we refer them to the animal shelter, they reply "oh, I don't want to take them there. They will just put them to sleep." So, guess where the cats end up; the owner blithely assuming that someone will find the hapless felines and give them a good home. Right! That will happen when Gwenth Paltrow invites me to be her sex toy.
Ultimately, it leads to the question: should stupid and/or irresponsible people be allowed to have pets? guns? kids? anything? They are the ones who create messes for the rest of us to clean up, and their numbers seem to be steadily growing. Imagine a day when you will only be allowed to continue living if you can demonstrate some usefullness to society. If you are useless, by virtue of stupidity or lack of character, then they kill you and harvest your organs (assuming they haven't been ravaged by drug use or venereal disease). If that day comes, there won't be a population problem, nor much need for a prison system. Guess I'm glad I won't be around, but the supporters will someday surely get fed up supporting the supportees and do something rash to put a stop to it. Zeesh! listen to me rave on. I know this isn't much help, except to articulate my overwhelming frustration.

DR_MAX
March 19, 2005, 03:41 PM
Teddy Rex Patton:

I'd have to say you are pretty much right on in terms of relative threats of feral cats vis a vis feral or just free roaming dogs. In many cases, free roaming dogs, even though owned, can form into hunting packs that are a serious threat to anything they can bring down. Although the etiology of "wild dogs" in suburban and rural areas may be similar to that for feral cats, the problem is apt to be a lot more serious. You might argue against shooting a cat because they were on your property, but it's hard to argue against the shooting of an implacable dog that is attacking you while you are out jogging or whatever.

kelsey
March 19, 2005, 05:21 PM
I pop strays whenever I get the chance although the coyotes keep the cats pretty well thinned out around here.

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com

MeekAndMild
March 19, 2005, 07:24 PM
Teddy, you might try a water pistol filled with ammonia. Works for me. I don't like to shoot dogs even when they are hanging around my chicken yard. Dogs may be a problem but they tend to scare the coyotes away.

But back on the subject of birds and cats, starlings are an imported nuisance bird and not a native songbird. The birds in trouble are bluebirds, indigo buntings, song sparrows, thrashers and the like. Cats will kill adults when they get them, maybe a third of their diet will be birds, but they really like the babies during that day or two when they are out of the nest but can't fly well.

JohnKSa
March 19, 2005, 07:58 PM
If you want a law, let's allow the shooting of the people dumping these animals into the wild when they're unable to really fend for themselves.I agree with that 100%. However, in the interim (which is forever since a law like that will obviously never happen) the cats are going to bear the brunt. BTW, it's rare for "hunting laws" to apply in urban areas, so I suspect your concerns about this making it more likely that your neighbor will "whack" Fluffy are unfounded.Cats may scare off a few singin'birds, but I've yet to see one climb our feeders and catch a Tweety-pie! Get real!Either you have very fast birds, very slow cats, or you're not watching at the right time. My folks have witnessed the neighbor's cat hunting at their feeder repeatedly. He's caught a good number of doves--his success rate is very high. One of my coworkers came in just a week or so ago with a story. His cat caught a bird and brought it into the house still alive. It escaped and the cat recaptured it and killed it. The story was only unusual because the cat brought the bird indoors--it regularly kills birds outdoors. Furthermore, one of the pioneering studies on this topic was performed in England and was based on cat owners telling surveyors how many animals and birds their cats caught in a given time period--not estimates or speculation.

People will believe what they want to, but the threat to birds and other wildlife posed by feral cats is real.

Feral dogs are a far greater threat to humans than are feral cats. They also need to be eliminated, but that isn't really the topic of this thread.

Fred Hansen
March 19, 2005, 09:06 PM
Cats may scare off a few singin'birds, but I've yet to see one climb our feeders and catch a Tweety-pie! Get real! I don't see cats climbing feeders either... there is no need for them to, they jump and swat the little varmints right out of the air.

Talk about getting real... :rolleyes:

Dogjaw
March 20, 2005, 08:08 AM
If that's about the Wisconsin issue, it's ALREADY LEGAL to shoot feral cats there. In fact, there's in unenforced law on their books REQUIRING hunters to kill feral cats.

I don't think this is correct. I was at the Fox News site, and just viewed a news video about Wisconsin ferrel cats. A state panel has yet to vote on the issue, and then the state congress has to pass a law allowing it. According to Fox News, cats are a protected species in all states, including Wisconsin, with the only states without a cat protection law being MN and SD.

wayneinFL
March 20, 2005, 05:22 PM
" I just hope they can tell the ferals from the escaped house pets."

I wonder how many feral cats were strayed pets or their descendants.

Let me preface the following by saying I've had pet cats, dogs, fish and hamsters. I'm not a monster.

Many people have pet cats and are against killing feral cats.

But what gives a cat more of a right to live than a pig, for instance?

I wonder- if more people owned pigs as pets- would it be illegal to kill feral hogs?

The old lady across the street fed every darned feral cat running loose in the neighborhood (probably stray pets). She considered it a form of charity, I guess. I considered them her adopted pets.

As much as I like cats, if I could have shot the "adopted pet" that sharpened its claws on the roof of my '71 Riviera, I would have. Seriously. When I complained to the neighbor she said there was nothing she could do about it. Luckily, the cat stopped sharpening its claws on the roof. Instead, it started sharpening its claws on my windshield. Nice.

It's my opinion that any animal, pet or not, if it wanders onto someone else's property and presents a threat to people, or their health or property, it ought to be considered a varmint.

There are limits to this. When I was a young kid in a rural area in Indiana we had two family dogs, a german shepherd and a dachsund. When our neighbor found that the shepherd was eating his sheep, he told my dad he would shoot it, and he did. I feel he was justified. On the other hand, when he shot the dachsund because it was "sniffing around" his cows, I feel he wasn't justified.

JohnKSa
March 20, 2005, 07:26 PM
cats are a protected species in all statesThat's not even a good lie--I'm surprised at Fox.

TX has no law protecting feral cats, nor any other feral animals. I just did a search of all the TX Statutes and investigated all incidences of the words: "cat" "cats" and "feral". ZIP on any laws protecting them. That's exactly what I expected. I'm not aware of any state that has such a law.

Dogjaw
March 20, 2005, 08:09 PM
Hmm. Then why would the Wisconsin Legislature take up the issue to make it legal???

MeekAndMild
March 20, 2005, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a snow job to me. This is what government does best, defining a natural right as something which is given as a government favor.

People have been killing cats since Og found a medium sized one trying to eat Baby Og some 250,000 years ago.

JohnKSa
March 20, 2005, 10:21 PM
Dogjaw,

Here's my take.

Currently it is legal in TX to shoot feral cats if you don't break any other laws while doing it. That's because there is no law AGAINST it, not because the game laws specifically list cats as an "unprotected species", or because there is a law on the books stating that it's legal to shoot feral cats.

In this country, things are only illegal if there are laws AGAINST them, you don't need a law stating something is legal to get busy.

What they're proposing is the addition of feral cats as an unprotected game species in the game laws. It wouldn't really change anything in terms of being able to shoot them, but it would make it absolutely clear that a hunter can shoot as many as he wants without fear of being molested or otherwise hindered in the process.

Furthermore, anyone who DIDN'T know they could shoot feral cats would find out when they picked up a copy of the game laws when buying their license.

It's not about legality, it's about publicity.

perception
March 20, 2005, 11:41 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I am probably one of the greatest animal lovers of all time. That said, there is a cat that has taken up residence in my backyard. Every night when I pull up at some ungodly hour in the morning, I see the same cat go shooting away from my carport. I live in Tennesssee, and haven't looked at the legalities yet, but if I did not live in the city, that would be one very dead cat indeed, if I could ever catch it. My neighborhood is absolutely crawling with cats, and I can honestly say I have never seen a bird or even squirrel in one of the neighborhood trees. This is kind of strange, because I live right beside a college campus, and birds and squirrels are numerous there. I wish I knew where the cats are from, and I wish I could help cull the population.

Art Eatman
March 26, 2005, 11:09 PM
Dogjaw, I read an article in one of the "Big Three" (Sports Afield, Field&Stream, Outdoor Life) about the Wisconsin study. Also mentioned in the article was the problem on the campus of the Univ. of South Florida, where feral cats are killing off an endangered species of burrowing owl--but the animal rightists won't allow "corrective measures".

Anyhow, as I mentioned in an earlier post the article stated that Wisconsin has or had a law on the books which required a hunter to kill feral cats upon sight. I take it for granted this means out in the boonies, since most folks don't hunt in town. :) And, as the article stated, the law is not enforced (How could it be?).

Art

Jseime
March 31, 2005, 07:43 PM
any cats that dont stay on the farm here dont live very long. the yotes keep em thin in this neck of the woods. neighbors went from around 30 to 2 in less than 2 weeks.

even the two tame cats around here might not be very well protected unless they stay off of my truck with their muddy paws. :mad:

3 weelin geezer
April 1, 2005, 03:00 PM
I caught me a cat burglar!! Stick em up!!

22-rimfire
April 1, 2005, 07:27 PM
Wish they were good eatin'. Ha Ha I wonder how you idenfity a "feral" cat from one that is just loose and without a collar? Frankly, in my neighborhood, the cats hang out in my back yard because I feed the birds constantly year around. I really hate to see them waiting to ambush a bird that doesn't pay attention. I throw ice cubes at em... a constantly replenishing supply of ammo from my frig!

Mannlicher
April 2, 2005, 02:23 PM
to me, any cat outside without a collar IS a feral cat. Fair game, indeed.

Ozzieman
April 3, 2005, 10:30 AM
Shooting or killing ferel cats should not be allowed, its just one more negitive mark on gun owners.
I can see it on the news, some beer drinking slob with a M16 out shooting poor little cute kittens.
Lets face it people thats the way the news always protrays us. Same in the movies.
They never talk about the bird population thats in danger, or the desiese that they carry, or the damage that they can do.
NO all you will hear and see is some one killing poor little kitty

oneeyeross
April 3, 2005, 11:27 AM
I didn't know that any cats were "domesticated"...

Feral animals, in Washington State, anyway, have no limit, no season, and no rules about hunting them. I'm guessing that that rule in the hunting regs would also apply to cats.

Where I live, though, the coyotes, hawks, eagles, owls and buzzards ensure that the population stays low enough that it takes no human involvement.

Art Eatman
April 5, 2005, 04:43 PM
Ozzieman, you're forgetting a few things: Feral cats are generally found out in the boonies, around farm and ranch lands. There, shooting is legal. Town cats, feral or not, are not in a place where it's legal to shoot.

So how many "hostile witnesses" would one expect to see out on a farm or ranch?

Back when my old family place outside of Austintatious was "attacked" by a subdivision, with cars killing more deer than I did, one of the new neighbors questioned my shooting of feral cats. My response was simple: "I'd rather watch native quail than imported cats." End of problem.

Since there is no way to please a rabid "anti", I just tend to my own business and ignore the silly twits. My pasture, my gun, my red mist enjoyments. Don't trespass, and nobody sees nuttin'.

:), Art

Ozzieman
April 5, 2005, 06:34 PM
But when I hear about people wanting to make it leagal, it will just put one more black eye on gun owners.
I know that there a problem, I am just against the bad press, and thats all you will hear is the bad press against gun people.
shoot them, but dont try to pass a law making it ok.

jbadams66
April 6, 2005, 07:54 PM
I think the problems arent the cats but they are the people that dump them and let them roam free. Since people dont want to keep thier harmless cat inside other measures will have to be taken. And as for cats not catching birds or other animals I have to say that is not true at all. I had an old black cat (came to our family as a stray) She would sit below the humming bird feeder all day waiting for a bird to land and she would swat it out of the air (I never could figure out how she did it since she wasnt the thinnest cat around) but she wouldnt eat them, just sit them on our door step. She also had at least one rabbit to her name before we had her de-clawed and turned into a house cat.

Art Eatman
April 10, 2005, 09:38 PM
True. No law is needed. If there's no law against shooting a feral cat, shooting feral cats is legal...

:), Art

sm
April 11, 2005, 12:11 AM
Art,
I agree.

I know one fence sitter ( leaning more to anti side) converted because of feral cats. Single mom moved in where I used to live, before "attacked" by a subdivision. Childs kitten, the pet to help heal the child from abused father [ hence the divorce and moving ] fell victim to feral cats. I gave her a Rem 514 pawn shop special,lessons ammo, definition of Three S's.

Mom progressed quite well, the 514 is now the daughter's.

Never told the child at the time the reason for the Bonfires we neighbors would fire up...the "dawgs and 'mellows seemed to do fine job of healing and positive memories for the little girl tho'. ;)

Benonymous
April 21, 2005, 05:13 AM
A friend of mine loves to tell the story of the first kill he had with his Tikka 22-250. it was an offhand shot at a large feral cat. He popped that sucker with the first slug. Feral cats are a menace here in Australia and I would have no problem with shooting one in a rural/bush area.

jim532
April 27, 2005, 11:12 AM
This thread reminded me of a great cat shooting article I recently read.
If you wanna see the police report http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0329051cat1.html

Indiana man receives nasty package acknowledging dastardly deed

MARCH 29--Since shooting a neighbor's cat last month, Kenneth Nailleux has been the object of much scorn from fellow Valparaiso, Indiana residents. Nailleux, 65, told cops that he leveled his .22 at the animal because it kept coming onto his property and attacking birds using a feeder. That explanation didn't wash with neighbors, especially when the cat had to be put to sleep as a result of the gunshot wound. Since then, Nailleux has complained to the Porter County Sheriff's Department that he is being harassed over the shooting, pointing to the recent arrival at his home of a gift box containing, as the below police report notes, a "replica of a pile of excrement." Somebody, cops determined, used the services of fecalgram.com, which will anonymously mail a revolting, non-toxic pile of what looks like crap. In fact, the brown stuff (now on sale for $24.95) is actually a manmade concoction of flour, water, salt, and other ingredients that give the product its stench. The box delivered to Nailleux also included a 12-character password that, when keyed into the fecalgram.com web site, delivered the anonymous sender's message: "It's time for you to move out of our neighborhood. No one likes having you live among us and this 'gift' is a reflection of what we think of you. Remember this feeling every time you leave your house and have to drive through the neighborhood. We do not want you here." While the prank may not rise to the level of criminal conduct, Nailleux has told cops that he will be contacting a lawyer as a result of the harassment. (4 pages)

MEDDAC19
April 27, 2005, 05:20 PM
Heard alot about this topic on talk radio recently. Feral cats are the number one cause of songbird mortality as well as the number one killer of rabbits. We have been breeding cats to live with us for thousands of years, while continuing to let them, no we require them to hunt. Everyone wants a good mouser! The problem is when these well fed, highly tuned, killing machines get loose, lookout! They have all their stalking, chasing, and killing genes enhanced, while the need to, kill to eat, is no longer a concern. Who has not seen a cat "play" with a mouse only to lose interest when it can no longer run away. The cat just goes and finds another "playmate". Most times a well fed kitty, that just pigged out on gourmet food, will just go through a mess of baby rabbits like teens through junk food. I say let's open the season on "Morris" and all his feral friends :D By the way I do have a cat.

homeka45
April 27, 2005, 05:43 PM
Feral cats are a disaster for native birds here in Hawaii. Their population needs to be limited but you still see bleeding hearts feeding them where they congregate.

MeekAndMild
April 27, 2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone who doesn't believe that feral cats are a problem needs to leave their declawed indoor kitty outside a few nights then count the scars. :eek:

HOKIEHUNTER
May 12, 2005, 01:10 PM
I live in an area that's pretty much between farm and rural. Everyone in my neighborhood used to have dogs, but now many of those neighbors have moved and been replaced with cat owners. I personally have always hated cats, but here recently especially. Here in VA there are no leash laws for cats and neighbors just basically tell you to screw off when you ask them to keep their pet contained. I woke up the other morning to two things that really ****** me off:
1) Weather's been nice so I sleep with my window open. Woke up at 5:30 to two cats "gettin busy" in the tree next to my window. This is a pretty loud event, so i pulled out the blowgun and shot the bastards with stun darts (one fell out the tree and it was great).

2) My Jeep which I have been very anal about keeping in good condition has paw prints and scratches all over the hood.

I have a shed and there are mice under the shed. The cats like to help control the mice, but the mice aren't mating in my trees or scratching up my jeep. I am however gonna poison the mice with spiked bait (dogfood, heck maybe even catfood) and I can't help it if there are any other casualties, I'm "just trying to kill the mice"

If I could shoot cats i would not discriminate. If it's on my property it's an intruder and goin down. I might try using the bow, much quieter than guns so the neighbors won't be alarmed.

other than cats I'm a big pet lover and would never consider shoot a dog unless it attacked a family member.

bclark1
May 12, 2005, 04:23 PM
i know cats can get out of hand but i think it needs to be monitored. i love my cats and dogs, but the cats stay indoors. we did have a barn cat that belonged to the people who lived in a place before we bought it, and we used to leave water and stuff out for it, it was skittish but a pretty good cat... unfortunately our psychotic socialist neighbors decided the cat "could have gotten sick" and lit it up. we really didn't think that was necessary. it was really the only outside cat between the two of our properties, not like we've got a cat problem up there, and we've certainly got enough rodents in the barn that the cat was of good use. anyway, i think there's better ways to go about regulating the cat population than declaring it open season for any nutter to pick up his .22 and go to town with. i'd sure be upset if someone shot a pet of mine that might have just wandered a bit.

MeekAndMild
May 12, 2005, 09:56 PM
i'd sure be upset if someone shot a pet of mine that might have just wandered a bit Would you be upset if someone allowed their 'pet' to come into your yard and eat up your elderly, half blind cat's food and chase her around?

Just asking.

bclark1
May 13, 2005, 06:58 AM
i think it's clear that's a trouble cat. not everyone might assess degrees like that though. i was just getting at there's people out there as dumb as the cats who are just itching to shoot anything they can. i'd be saddened but not surprised to hear if something escalated between people based on that sort of a misunderstanding.

foghornl
May 13, 2005, 02:11 PM
I got pretty chewed up as a kid courtesy of a feral cat.

Not a cat hater now, bur ferals are a real problem. They take out the songbirds, and I saw one a few years back kill a squirrel.

I lived out in "The Boonies" a while back, and I can't count how many cats and dogs got dropped off near my home. I finally put up a big sign:

If you 'drop off' a pet here, be sure to 'drop off' $100 in cash or food to cover the costs. Failing that, drop off at least a box of .357Mag rounds.

Got a lot less 'dropped off' pets after that, and once even got a 50Lb bag of Purina Dog Chow.

GON2FAR
May 13, 2005, 03:31 PM
Ive lived in rural areas in several states. Feral cats were anywhere from a minor annoyance to a large issue depeding on where and who you ask. I was more than happy to help remedy the situation myself, courtesy of my 77/22 Mag and some Win. Supreme ammo. I couldn't even begin to count how many were put down. You would go to the dumpsters (yes in certain areas they do still have county maintained public acces dumpsters) and throw a bag in and anywhere from 5 to 50 cats would scatter. Many were in very sad shape, and were mercy killings to be sure. As well I have worked in the animal control business, and let me tell you, the absolute MEANEST animals I ever trapped on a regular basis were feral cats. You could tell a feral from a domestic in split second upon approaching the cage. A feral cat is the only animal I have ever had to reach out of the trap to get at me.

Steve499
May 13, 2005, 04:19 PM
Several have said they favor shooting feral cats but not someone's pet. I believe the problems associated with cat predation are more attributable to the pet than the truly wild-all-the-time feral cat. When any predator has a shortage of prey, the predator's numbers decline in relation to the population decline of the prey species. The problem as I see it is that the natural balance is skewed when the pet cat kills what it can but isn't dependant on the kill for survival. Fluffy or Morris just goes home, fills up on Tender Vittles and is back out, killing, tomorrow. The truly wild cat will eventually starve if there is nothing for it to eat, which takes pressure off of the prey species allowing the prey species to begin building back.
House cats, feral or otherwise, need to be controlled. If a pet, it needs to be prevented from ranging freely. People should not feed stray cats unless they intend to assume ownership and keep the cat contained. I suspect that will never happen so the obvious remedy would seem to be CAT SEASON!
Steve.

40CalGuy
May 18, 2005, 11:31 PM
I wish I could move to Wisonconsin till all this "feral cat" crap is over. I think it's a great freaking idea that responsible taxpayers take out the abundance of overpopulation of these cats. The Liberals cry "don't kill the cats, they're domesticated!" Fine...you want a million cats? HAVE AT IT MORON. "But we can neuter/spay them." They taxpayers already f'ed it up by not doing it themselves, and now these people are seriously proposing this an an option to controlling a situation that was created by their own laziness/stupidity/love of animal rights? Are you freaking serious? I tell you what...you get all the cats, and all the liberals, put them together in a enclosed area with a few loaded weapons on a table for a week. I betcha they'll be begging for more ammo. The obvious solution is:

Taxpayers created the problem, taxpayers can take care of it. A million feral cats in one state is ludicrous. As I understand it, a $6 license can be had by each person to go out with someone else and plink away at the overpopulation. Some that shoot may have a moral objection to the shooting of non-game animals, or those that are not creating a nuisance for them directly (killing livestock, etc). I say lock and load. Hell, I'm about ready to shoot my own damn cat, and he's not feral, is collared, and stays in the house. All dogs go to heaven, all cats go on the end of my barrel.

HOKIEHUNTER
May 19, 2005, 06:40 AM
haha 40cal, you said put the liberals and cats in a room and lay some guns on the table and in a couple weeks they'll be beggin for more ammo. you never specified who "they" were. Now are we talking about the cats learning to shoot and shooting the retarded liberals here, b/c that makes more sense. Between a feral cat and a liberal, my money is on the cat learning to shoot properly first. haha that would kill two birds with one stone (get rid of the liberals and without the liberals we could start shootin the cats)

40CalGuy
May 19, 2005, 08:58 AM
Obviously, what was meant was that the Bleeding Hearts would shoot the cats, but now that you mention it...all we can do is hope. I agree though...a two'fer would be prefferable.

Hello123
May 19, 2005, 03:31 PM
Feral cats obviously kill wildlife. You should shoot them, but not publicize the fact. That is horrible pro-hunting/pro-gun publicity

GM-GUY
May 20, 2005, 08:20 AM
The "Three S's"
Shoot Shovel Shut-up

HOKIEHUNTER
May 22, 2005, 04:13 PM
thought this would be a nice addition to this thread:

http://flashplayer.com/games/kittencannon_movie.php#bottom

instead of shooting at cats, you get to shoot with cats.

funniest thing i've ever seen, spacebar fires

HunterTRW
May 23, 2005, 08:43 AM
The late author Corey Ford, of Field & Stream magazine's "The Lower Forty" fame, addressed this problem years ago in an article titled Tiger Hunting for the Man of Modest Means. In it he states, in part:

"Here in New Hampshire we have a benevolent organization called the Love the Little Kitties Association. Its membership includes doctors, lawyers, state policemen, several clergymen, a retired Air Force general, and the local undertaker. It was founded by an emminent municipal judge, who is Head Lover. I have the honor of being Associate Lover.

"The purpose of our organization is the extermination, by fair means or foul, of feral housecats. Meetings are held whenever a member encounters one of thes roving beasts which has reverted to its wild state, miles from any habitation, stalking the fields in search of prey. Our shooting-seat is an open convertible, or a specially fitted jeep with slits in the side windows for protruding gun-barrels, or the undertaker's hearse which not only affords excellent visibility but is also handy for a quick getaway. Our motto is: Tiger Hunting for the Man of Modest Means.

"Let me hasten to explain, ere the cat people bristle their back fur, that we have nothing against little kitties who stay by the fire and restrict their diet to canned salmon. Our members wouldn't dream of shooting a cat in the lap of an elderly lady sitting in a rocking chair in her front parlor, provided the window is closed. Our aim (and it is generally quite accurate) is the half-starved feline, abandoned when a farm is sold or a summer vacationer closes his camp in the fall, which has turned killer to survive.

"Take a family from the city who rent a cottage for July and August at Agojumpiney Lake. Shortly after their arrival, an itinerant tomcat purrs at the door and attaches itself to the household. At least, they think it's a tomcat, until it delivers a litter of seven kittens in the guest room bed. These are duly adopted, and cared for until Labor Day rolls around. Obviously the family can't take eight cats back to a city apartment so they board up the cottage, lock the door, and drive off hurriedly before the children notice their erstwhile pets huddled ont he back porch, left behind to shift for themselves.

"What that family has done, however unwittingly, is as criminally careless as tossing a cigarette out of the car in a parched pine woods. They have loosed eight of the most dangerous predators in America. The feral housecat, according to conservation authorities, is Wildlife Enemy Number One. Its fur grows long and shaggy, it attains enormous size (I shot one which measured over three feet in length), and it develops uncanny hunting ability. A single cat will kill an average of one hundred songbirds in a year. Government officials estimate that these feline felons account for better than fifty percent of the small game that is destroyed anually, more than the total of all the foxes and skunks and bobcats and weasels--yes, and human hunters--combined."

This needless, wanton waste (of both wildlife and cats) could be stopped if only people would be responsible enough to spay and neuter their pets, and keep them indoors where they will be safe.

Good luck, and good shooting!

P.S. The full text of this article may be found in a collection of Ford's writing titled The Trickiest Thing in Feathers, compiled and introduced by Laurie Morrow. The ISBN is 1-885106-21-1.