PDA

View Full Version : Question: +'s & -'s of Glass Bead finish??

riverkeeper
January 26, 2005, 02:02 AM
Wear better?

suspect it is just appearance.

Jim Watson
January 26, 2005, 09:44 AM
+ to the maker = It's cheap. It's "tactical."
+ to the user = It might keep the cost down to you, a little.
It is less reflective than polished or even brushed.

- to the user = I don't know how to touch it up when worn except by re-beading.
If they bead working surfaces it can affect operation of the gun. I had a 1911 built up from odds and ends of unmatching parts and once it was shooting, wanted it to look the same all over, so I had it beaded and blued. Had to have the slide refitted and lapped to the frame because they beaded the rails and roughened them to where it would not run.

riverkeeper
January 27, 2005, 11:47 PM
rk

Clemson
January 28, 2005, 05:03 PM
I have found that a blead-blast finish, once blued, holds oil or grease pretty well, but....... If it ever gets dry, it seems to rust three times faster than a polished blue job. I had a Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 19 revolver that had a bead-blast finish. I could not seem to keep the exterior of that gun from developing rust spots.

I personally bead-blasted an FN Mauser barreled action and then had it hot-blued. The finish was just what I wanted -- non reflective and even. I have had no problem with that gun in 4 years since I blued it. With respect to Jim's caution. I did the bead blasting myself, and I stayed away from wear surfaces.

Clemson

riverkeeper
January 29, 2005, 01:25 AM
I'm getting one to be carried outside about 2 hours a day - rain or shine all year. Think piedmont SC but even wetter.

Sounds like a bead blast finish would require more care than others -- any recommendations for the best finish for wet work with least day to day fuss.

Saw a good deal on a bead blast finsih revolver but passed on it.

Sir William
January 29, 2005, 02:13 AM
Stainless and Flitz has worked for me. I have had auto parts bead blasted and been none too pleased.

Dave Sample
February 2, 2005, 12:40 AM
I have two blasters and I love it.