PDA

View Full Version : Interesting things seen while hunting....

Rojoe67
January 12, 2005, 08:50 AM
I thought I would share a few and other folks could add on....

I got to witness 2 bucks fighting and the winner pranced over to a doe and had his way with her... making sure next year would see continued deer hunting.... and might I say the two bucks (an 8 point and what I think a 6) were fighting for a good two or three minutes.... both fell to the ground at one point. I would guess I was about 80-90 yards from the action. I was in the edge of the woods and they were in a corn stubble field. Very cool to witness in person.

The other interesting hunt that comes to mind was a bowhunt in the eastern U.P. of Michigan. I had sat on a tree stand 12' off the ground on the edge of a hay field. I heard what I thought was a deer sneaking in behind me and slowly circle to my left. It tuned out to be a Linx. It hunted and moved slowly and never noticed me at all. He came within 18 yards of me at one point. I watched the big cat for 5-6 minutes before he slowly melted back into the woods behind me. That was one of the most interesting hunts that I didn't see a whitetail deer on. :D

BobbyWins
January 12, 2005, 01:38 PM
On a South Texas deer hunt several years ago,I had killed a 6 1/2' rattlesnake
right next to my blind.I had tossed it to the side until I finished that hunt and then I was gonna clean it and have it for supper later.
Well,seems this big Indigo had other ideas.(For those of you who don't know,The Indigo(snake) was transplanted years ago in South Texas to help control the rattlesnake population since the rattler is their main diet.)

For the next half hour or so,I got to watch this 8'-9' indigo :eek: devour my lunch :mad: an inch or so at a time,head first.Amazing I tell ya,simply amazing.

No tellin' how many deer(and no tellin' what else) I missed seein' that evening because my eyes were glued to this amazing sight.Not only that,but I also had to think of somthin' else to eat. :(

BW

Steve499
January 13, 2005, 11:09 AM
Last rifle season I saw a six point buck jump a fence and walk out into my shooting lane. I dropped him with a neck shot. When I got over to where he lay, I saw he had four white hooves with white stockings reaching about six inches up his legs. His dewclaws were white too. This was a little unusual and brought some notice at the check station but the real surprise came when I was processing him for the freezer. The right front leg had a six inch piece of aluminum arrow imbedded in the bone. It was covered with gristle and wasn't infected. The bone had grown around and through the openings in the blades of the arrowhead which immobilized the arrow. I cleaned the bone and it is one of my favorite hunting trophies. I can't get over the fact that this deer was jumping fences and walking with no limp! Just look at this picture.

PSE
January 13, 2005, 05:00 PM
i shot a bearded hen. 9" full and she had eggs in her.

Rojoe67
January 13, 2005, 05:32 PM
I had a friend that shot a buck that was missing some of his man type plumbing items yet the buck was normal size and meat was of quality too... :D

Jseime
January 13, 2005, 07:05 PM
coming over a hill on our way to a spot we wanted to push out my cousins and i witnessed a pair oh moster white tails with no does. they werent fighting they just came running out of the bush of course i shot the first one i saw which turned out to be a nice 5X5 while the other one was a huuuuuge 6X6 of course i had already shot mine so i couldnt take him and my cousin handed his dad an empty rifle with which to take the deer. I hear the "CLICK" of the firing pin every night in my nightmares

FirstFreedom
January 21, 2005, 06:17 PM
Bobbywins, THAT would have been a hell of a viewing...amazing.

impact
January 21, 2005, 10:59 PM
I was hunting in a place called Lovells Michigan. I saw two cool things. One was a black Fisher. I was hunting is some jack pines and saw this black thing jumping from tree to tree close to the ground. It was much bigger than a squirrel. It got pretty close to see that it was not a squirrel. That was cool!

About 4 miles from that place I found some big dog tracks. So I thought! I took some pics and looked then up and they where wolf tracks. The tracks were big!!! The size of two D cell battries end to end. My buddies dad called me a year later and said he saw a wolf trot through this property. Cool! He lives out in nowhere land. He said that year the DNR said there are no wolfes in Michigan. He said he knew better :D

MeekAndMild
January 21, 2005, 11:52 PM
This year hunting for deer I had the opportunity to see a flock of five Eastern bluebirds. I have also seen indigo bunting, many species of song sparrows, orioles, chickadees, red tailed hawks, a great horned owl, several barn owls, screech owls, 2 breeds of turkeys, grackle, blackbirds, cowbirds, nuthatches and lots more. (Recently in my neighborhood the feral cat population has taken a nosedive, thanks to the inventors of the .17 HMR magnum.) ;)

mill hunky
January 22, 2005, 11:43 AM
saw a squirrel on a tree, 2 redtail hawks few in and landed on seperate trees. the squirrel wanted to go on the ground but i guess he knew better. one of the hawks flew down and put one of his opened wings on the tree and spiraled down the tree and the squirrel went to the ground, both birds missed the squirrel. during deer season usually walk in on a creek bed but the creek was high. sat on the edge of the creek, was cold, took my camo mask off and was eating , i heard a lot of noise below me and leaned over the creek. there were two river otter`s looking up at me. they were huge. they just looked at for for about 30 seconds , i said good morning and water was flying everywhere.

Rojoe67
January 22, 2005, 06:43 PM
The good Ole DNR has broke down and had to owe up to wolves down state.... It darn near took and act of congress but the fact a trapper had caught one and shot it - thinking it was a coyote. So just like the Wolverine - the wolf is offical down state now too. It's funny cause for years both residents and Coast Guard Flyers alike have seen wolves and reported them to a group in Lansing that spend more time telling us we not trained to know what we see. OK?

That is cool......... I got a chance twice now to see fresh tracks in the UP land I hunt. I measured 2 1/2" x 4" and as you know these aren't puppy tracks.... I was able to photograph them too....

thanks for your story....... :D

38splfan
January 22, 2005, 08:30 PM
I was once "attacked" by a possum while deer hunting in South Carolina. :D
I was 14 at the time and using my dad's SKS. We were on the corners of an abandoned farm shed that was on the edge of a couple month old cut soybean feild.
Well, I hear this hissing in the bushes behind me. I turn to see, about ten feet back, a possum. ( In my infinite childish wisdom, I first thought it was a Badger :o ) I turn around and continue to hunt.
I few minutes later, I hear the hissing again, a little closer. The possum is now two-three feet away and standing on it's hind legs, hissing loudly.
I removed myself from the 5-gallon bucket seat, and shot it threee times with the SKS. Possum was split very nearly in half. :eek:

This is very childish, and had I known then what I do now, it would not have happened the same.
It is good for a laugh though :D

pwp
January 22, 2005, 09:05 PM
Sounds like you know how to enjoy the outdoors...My Father was that kind of person, able to be amazed at something everytime he went out in the woods. And he had the talent to describe everything he witnessed to us kids with excitement. Guess some of it rubbed off...all five of us feed the birds year round and keep bluebird houses in the yards. I know this reply isn't shooting related but I just felt like saying "thanks" for the post.

keens
January 23, 2005, 03:15 PM
I knew the sounds coming from the woods near my stand had to be a couple of mountain lions killing each other...I have never been so scared hunting in all my life :eek: ...it was getting dark and I squeezed my gun for comfort...then all of a sudden I could see two racoons seemingly killing each other...what a relief...my hunting buddies laughed at me, but I had never heard coons act that way before...cool scenne though...one finally ran off...guess one of them was protecting something... :)

macavada
January 23, 2005, 06:57 PM
I saw a Jaguarundi once near Mathis, TX. Very rare.

Rojoe67
January 23, 2005, 07:09 PM
3 years ago as I ended a bear hunt I walked back to my ATV. I had parked it about 300 yards from my bear blind. I had a red LED 3 light headlamp. I like to use it because it shows anyone around I'm human not animal and it lights up enough you can see what your doing. On the walk back to the quad I noticed a racket in a small 12-14 foot tall Poplar (Aspen) tree. I turned my head to put light up the tree. It was a family (8) of coons and those eyes were looking like lights on a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I must have darn near walked on them and they took for the tree for protection. I started laughing at this sight......about that time the main limb broke and 4 of them came down hard.... I just about broke in half with laughter.......a real Kodak moment..... It was the highlight of a very calm day hunting.... :D

calvin62
January 23, 2005, 10:05 PM
During gun season 2001 in east central wisconsin I watched a black mountain lion sized cat jump a fence row 80 yds from me then sit down and eat the rabbit he was carrying. he was there about 15 minutes then snuck through the brush on the tree row and disapeared up the hill. DNR claims we have no mountain lions in the state much less a black panther. I didnt tell many people about it and the ones I did tell acted like I was nuts. so I dont repeat the story in public anymore but I do carry a camera now.

impact
January 24, 2005, 12:01 AM
yes calvin62 you need to take a camera! many people here in texas say they see black panthers. But the Texas parks and wildlife people say there is no such thing in Texas! The Texas parks and wildlife challenged the people of Texas to produce a dead black cat or photo. That was five years ago. Still no pic or dead cat?

Rojoe67
January 24, 2005, 04:46 PM
This turned out to be a real interesting idea....... thanks everyone :D

MeekAndMild
January 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
pwp thanks for the feedback. The outdoors is great.

Ohio Annie
January 25, 2005, 11:48 AM
I read somewhere that animals near the edge of their normal range are more likely to have black ones in the population. Don't remember why. So if there are mountain lions in a place near the edge of their range there must be black ones there too if the article was applicable to panthers.

Ohio Annie
January 25, 2005, 11:53 AM
I bought a tree stand and climbing stick last year, mainly to try to get over my fear of heights. I was sitting in the stand and heard a dreadful buzz. Startled, I thought a bee swarm was coming. I looked to my left and a humming bird was hovering by my head about 18 inches away. He buzzed all around me, calling "pik pik . " He landed on a limb about a yard away from me and kept angrily calling "pik pik . "He looked like that grumpy bluebird picture.

He flew away and I wished I had gotten out my camera. About 5 minutes later he was back and buzzed me again for a couple of minutes. I thought he went to the Bird Tavern and told his friends, "You'll never guess what I found sitting in a tree." His friends probably told him he'd had too much to drink and he just came back to check and see if it was really true. :cool:

scbair
January 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
Nothing too exciting; I have frequently observed grey fox stalking birds & squirrels, while I was perched in a deer stand. I also saw one pursuing a rabbit. Good reminders I wasn't the only hunter in the area. :D

Arizona Fusilier
January 25, 2005, 11:05 PM
Well he wasn't black, but it sure was a mountain lion I ran into about 10 years ago deer hunting down on the border.

I was wearing all tan, against a backdrop of dried sage grass and desert, he probably couldn't tell what I was.

I actually raised my binoculars to me eyes, trying to convince him I was a tool-user, and thus he should be afraid. :rolleyes: He wasn't :eek:

I pointed my rifle between his eyes; yes I know, this was all stupid, but I thought if I could just convince him I was Homo Sapiens, the classic "cowardly" lion would shy awy from human contact. He didn't.

We had a stand off for about five minutes. When I started to whisper for my hunting buddy who was supposed to be right behind me (he wasn't :eek: ), he started to freak at the sound of the human voice.

It was at that time, between the vegetation and the scant 30 feet between us, that I realized I could only get one shot off if I had to before he was on me.

I exited stage left, he went stage right, and that was the last kitty I saw.

Now every year, I get a lion tag (there over the counter in Arizona, about 11 bucks or so) "just in case". I also always carry a hunting legal revolver as a backup, in case I need quicker, close range shots.

That's probably my best hunting story; I have more of them then I do filled game tags, though :o

impact
January 27, 2005, 09:15 PM
Ohio Annie. The Texas Parks and Wildlife did a DNA study of the mountain Lion and they said! that the mountain lion does not have the DNA to make a black lion. I think the DNA missing made a pigment called melanin which make animals black. There is a (I think) gray squirrel that is also black because of melanin. Most people just call them black squirrels

calvin62
January 27, 2005, 11:18 PM
I saw a show about the large number of people that keep large cats [lions, tigers, leopards, etc] as pets. maybe he escaped someone or was a desendant of one that escaped and interbred. all I know is that he was the size of a mountain lion and black.

220swifter
January 28, 2005, 03:19 PM
We used to trap hogs and put them in a pen near the Nueces River in S. Texas to fatten up. The river has quite a few alligators in it. Once when we were down there, one of the dogs ate a hole through the fence and was harrassing the pigs. About a 175 pounder got out of the hole and took off across the river. It made it about half way before an alligator took it under. It reminded me of a bass hitting a topwater lure!

Robert Garner
January 28, 2005, 05:18 PM
dont really know how long i watched but sky went from black/grey to pink/red and visibility got huntin good as i watched a river otter divin and eatin
in fast water,never left general area and never acted as if he was fightin the current.
Wasnt huntin but at work(dont get paid for this) saw an owl stoop and take a huge rat,lay on the ground with said rat in outstretched talons,rise and fly off.Were all three of us better off for that?
robert
occupied georgia

Walter
January 30, 2005, 12:21 AM
I sat in a deer stand one morning for almost an hour watching a pair
of roadrunners engage in what I can only assume was a "mating dance".

The two birds walked out into the clearing, and began walking in a circle, facing each other. Every few seconds one or the other, or both would flap their
wings, jump up in the air, fan their tail feathers, then light back down and commence the circling. After a few minutes they would break off and run in separate directions into the brush. Five minutes later they would both strut back out into the clearing and resume the "dance".
It reminded me ot the old "Wild Kingdom" TV show.
They eventually both ran off into the brush, one chasing the other.

A couple of years ago I watched from a tree stand as a bobcat stalked
a fawn feeding with a pair of does in a clearing. The cat got within about
15 feet of the fawn, when I guess one of the does smelled it. She snorted,
jumped straight up, :eek: , and all three deer were gone like a puff of smoke.
I shifted my rifle to get a bead on the cat but it got down in the dead grass
and I lost sight of it.

Walter

1BadF350
January 31, 2005, 04:06 PM
For some reason squirrels always seem to want to either climb up or climb down whatever tree I'm set up in. Real uneasy feeling when your eyball to eyball with one.
I see red-tailed hawks all the time up close but they always spot me right away, they have great vision.
I always think its funny when I see something moving out of the corner of my eye and its a leaf blowing on a tree 100 yards away. It's amazing what your senses pick up when you're "tuned in" like that.
I saw a scarlet tanager for the first time while hunting. They are the brightest red color I've ever seen.

mdhunter
February 5, 2005, 10:09 PM
Years ago squirrel hunting in Maryland, shot a squirrel out of a treetop with my shotgun.....before it hit the ground, a hawk grabbed it out of the air and tried to fly away with it.....a shot over it's head into the leaves persuaded it to leave the squirrel behind. :D

Three years ago on Alaska moose/caribou hunt, watched two wolverines chase a couple of big bull caribou away from their (wolverines') den. My buddy and I hiked after them (about 2 miles above the river in the hills), but when we got up there both wolverines and cribou were nowhere to be seen - still amazing to watch though!

This past year in Alaska, was fishing on the bank of our camp with my buddy when a mink ran down the bank and wanted to get around us - I was standing in his path - so he retreated, went under the bank, used one of his tunnels, and popped out about 15 feet on the other side of us!

Michael

Twycross
February 7, 2005, 02:44 PM
Just the other day, a buddy and I had just hiked out of a canyon and spotted a baby moose heading to a pond along the rim. We snuck up onto a hill about 100 yards behind it, and then my buddy went down behind the moose while it was drinking, and threw a stick at it. Hit it right on the rear. That moose jumped and swam the pond in record time, then headed out into the canyon. We figured he had gone to fetch Momma, and since we had one .270 between us, and it was out of season, we ran half a mile to his rig, trying not to keel over with laughter.

tintcutter
February 10, 2005, 05:26 PM
My dad and his hunting buddy drug me along on what was one of my first hunts with the grown ups. We were living in the village of Bethel, AK. So we went via boat up river for the hunt. It was late in the year, and cold enough for an evening fire, so when one of the other fellows tried to cut a piece of bowed wood out of the river bank he found it unusually hard to chop with his axe. It turned out to be a mastadon tusk, so it was fossilized ivory. The rest of the animal was in the bank also. We still have the tusk.

MeekAndMild
February 10, 2005, 09:17 PM
It turned out to be a mastadon tusk Now that is really fantastic! I've heard there are fossil bones in some of the Florida springs but I didn't know they were in Arkansas. :D

Found what I think is a piece of meteorite last week, but I'm not sure. Nothing as exciting as a mastodon tusk.

tintcutter
February 10, 2005, 10:05 PM
AK is Alaska. Dads buddy was a local eskimo. Yeah, I used to carve little necklace pieces and give them to sweethearts. The axe marks are still in it. The outside is dark brown like dirt but inside is like a yellowed ivory color. I don't think that kind of stuff is super rare though. There were lots of fossils and bones because everything both froze and stayed very dry in the low humidity you get around artic type air. I was at a Gold camp in the Yukon and found a bunch of tools from the original guy who started the camp in 1933. He got sick and died in town so he left a bunch of stuff. They were barely rusty.

I saw my brother catch a duck with a lucky cast from a fishing rod. It flew into his line, not the lure. The duck came out from under a bridge he was standing beside. That was cool. That happened on Kodiak Island. I also saw a sea otter (I guess, it was the 6 foot kind) follow his lure and pop up on the bank right underneath him. The otter bailed and Rob hollered. That happened in the Yukon. But they were talking about hunting...

Trapp
February 11, 2005, 05:48 AM
I saw a deer once......I was in too much awe to shoot it.

FirstFreedom
February 12, 2005, 12:40 PM
I believe this is the most fascinating/entertaining thread I've ever read on TFL - amazing stuff. :)

handwerk
February 12, 2005, 02:57 PM
A couple years ago while deer hunting hear on my 40 in n.e.Mn. I had 3 wolves chase a red fox right past my stand, one of the wolves was coal black. You don't see that every day.

artsmom
February 24, 2005, 12:28 AM
Meek and mild, I can still recall the one and only indigo bunting I saw when I was a Boy Scout camping on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I went wild, and the rest could have cared less that such a bird existed.

I have on the camcorder a bald eagle trying to pick off a crippled hen mallard in open water. It made five passes, each time the mallard waiting until the last minute to raise up and flap its wings to make the eagle flinch or throw its aim off. The eagle gave up, and went to hang around the snow geese.

MeekAndMild
February 24, 2005, 04:14 PM
We don't have many mastadon bones ;) in the deep south, but if you get away from the cities and areas where there is heavy agricultural pesticide use you can see many indigo buntings. The major trouble they have is the brown headed cow birds like to parasitize them, so a certain percentage of nests are lost each year. It would be nice to be able to legally shoot cowbirds, but that isn't allowed except with special permits.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ConservationAndScience/MigratoryBirds/Fact_Sheets/default.cfm?fxsht=3

Rojoe67
February 24, 2005, 04:20 PM
Speaking of eagle........

About 5 years ago I was on my quad putzin down a seasonal dirt road. I came up to a gully and as I came down into the low area an American Bald Eagle (mature) flew up from a road kill. I bet that fella had a 5' wingspan.... He flew off real majestic like and again.......a kodak moment again - without the camera :(

jsflagstad
March 1, 2005, 12:24 PM
About 10 years ago in NW WI, I watched a doe walk out of a swamp into my shooting lane about 200 yards away broadside. I put the cross hairs right behind the shoulders and squeezed off a round. Kind of seemed like a weird commotion after I fired, or not normally what I had seen before when making a kill. When I got up to the kill site, I realized there was a 2nd doe right behind the one I was shooting at. I double lunged them both with the old 7mm Mag and there they lay. I'm sure I couldn't do it again.

The other neat thing I witnessed while bow hunting in my back yard 2 years ago was 5 different bucks fighting under and around my stand over two does. It started with 2 bucks, and then 1 by 1 along came 3 more as the commotion got louder. The buck were from 6-9 points and being that I was bow hunting I couldn't get a standing shot at them because they were always moving. Of course, the 9 point won the battle and chased the others off. After he had his way with the does and then they headed out past me for some dinner (suppose he felt obligated?), it was getting dark and I think the buck knew I was there so he was real cautious. All he would give me was a straight on shot and he was still in the woods under mild cover. It was the last day of bow season before the gun opener, so I decided to take the shot. You guessed it, big miss! :barf: I hit that branch that only the arrow can see. Crash boom bang, away they went. I scoured for blood and found my arrow that revealed a clean miss.
This past season, I came face to face with that same buck while pistol hunting (I live in a pistol/shotgun zone) in the same spot where I missed him with my bow 2 years ago. I took the buck with one shot at a little over 50 yards with my Thompson Contender. He dressed out at 244 lbs and scored 155 green. Very happy to say the least... :)

JSF

pdt1793db
March 7, 2005, 02:40 AM
One day I was reading some on the Internet about how hard squirrel hunting was with a bow so I said hey that could be a good challenge so I went out to this conservation area near where I live. Got the bow out and walked a ways into the woods. I see squirrels running around here and there and start stalking them for the hell of it. For some odd reason I looked down at the ground and there was a copper head right at my feet. My heart was going like 100 miles an hour so luckly I had an arrow nocked I stepped back and put an arrow through its head. made sure it was dead then knocked it off the other arrow and went on my marry way but it was definetly intense. I did shoot several squirrels with the bow and now carry a gun every time I go just to have something a little more reliable than a bow if I need to defend myself.

RCPractitioner
March 12, 2005, 04:33 AM
I was spotlighting jackrabbits in west Texas, I shot one with a .22lr tracer round he dropped right away and as I'm heading over to him he appears to burst into flames! Turns out it was the grass behind him! :eek: Stomped it out real quick but it was pretty funny after the fire was out!

1BadF350
March 12, 2005, 08:46 AM
RCPractitioner, now that's funny right there I don't care who ya are! :D

capnrik
March 12, 2005, 09:11 PM
Dad and Capt. Jack and I were on the Waldrop Ranch in Val Verde County, right on the U.S./Mexico border. Jack and I were standing on the tailgate of the Jeepster Commando, with our rifles laying on a thin mattress secured to the roof. Antonio was driving and Dad was riding shotgun.

We were parallelling Sycamore Creek, when I saw movement near a clump of brush on the edge of the dry riverbed, some 350 yards away. I knocked on the jeep roof, and Antonio killed the motor in gear.

Squinting through the 4X Leupold, I could count five...no, six of 'em. With a flush of embarrassment, I pulled up the rifle when I realized I was pointing the six millimeter at a family, headed north.

Jack dismounted and trained his old binoculars on the band.
"Looks like three men and three women...one of the women might be a little girl."
"Are they any threat, Jack?" Dad asked.
"Naw. They're headed in country, looking for work. Every couple of years they break into the house, when we're not there. They'll walk right past the booze and the rifles, and take a blanket or canned goods. Never bother anything else."
Antonio watched the little group melt into the brush. His face was expressionless, and his eyes were flat and black.
"Su familia, posible?" I asked. He turned and smiled, and threw a brown arm around my 16 year old frame.
"Siempre, Ricardo. Siempre."

Dogger
March 12, 2005, 09:39 PM
I was bowhunting in Northern Virginia. There was fresh snow on the ground and the air was cool and crisp. I got tired of sitting in the tree stand and decided to still hunt a bit, and get a better look at the terrain. I was standing still on an old logging trail just enjoying the scenery, when I saw a red fox pop over the hill about 50 yards away. His nose was to the ground and he was looking for dinner. His fur was all puffed out to keep him warm. His coat was a beautiful red and the white on his tail made a remarkable contrast to the red. He was coming right at me, zigging and zagging with the folds in the ground. I just stood there, not moving a muscle, and watched in silence. He passed by me at about 10 yards, never noticed me, and then kept his pace until way beyond me and out of sight. The most beautiful fox I ever saw. I didn't get a deer, but it was a remarkable experience and a great hunt.

drinks
March 12, 2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know about you, but I have no use for Dubya or his dad, both carpetbaggers to me.
Dubya seems to meet the definitation of a Fascist , check your dictionary before flaming me.
I am a conservative conservationist, not a contradiction in terms, look them up .
It is very improbable that Felis Concolor has melanism, the genes are not supposedly there.
We have melanistic Fox and Gray squirrels here and some place up north has a large population of white Fox squirrels which are not albinos as they do not have pink eyes.
Don :)

tintcutter
March 17, 2005, 01:01 PM
Drinks, did someone on this thread see a politician while hunting?

20cows
March 17, 2005, 01:27 PM
Please don't shoot jack rabbits w/ incendiaries in dry pastures. (In W. Texas that's always).

We had a grass fire on our place that was restricted to 300 acres by the wind direction (Praise the Lord!). The grass was chest high and from a mile away, it looked like the world was on fire.

RCPractitioner
March 18, 2005, 02:14 AM
Please don't shoot jack rabbits w/ incendiaries in dry pastures. (In W. Texas that's always).

Lesson Learned! :)

Rojoe67
March 19, 2005, 07:27 AM
While on a field training exercise near Vizzini, Sicily a buddy and myself were conducting a little mini recon of an area. Sort of a hunting trip for a good defensive position type thing..... while we were on this so called hunt out of the blue a white wild horse came charging at us. I bet it was one heck of a sight to see. Well, the horse circled twice as to show us he was bigger and faster and apparently much smarter than the two of us. He kept us pinned down for 20 minutes. He trotted off and could be heard laughing all the way back to Comiso (our base). When we got back we reported to our commander. He looked at us and fell on the floor laughing. He later admitted that same damn horse had stopped him in his Hummer and blocked the trail he was trying to drive down. This wild white horse sorta became our mascot although we never saw it again..... ;)

Sorry this is a bit off track just thought it would be worth a laugh for everyone..... ;)

Dogjaw
March 19, 2005, 08:11 AM
I deer hunt in the western Michigan U.P. I personally don't think wolves are cool. Deer in the area I hunt have been decimated by wolves in the area. Anyway.......
I was sitting on the ground against a tree watching a deer run at last shooting light. I always stay put till it's dark. I was about to get up and call it a day when I heard leaves crunching and saw movement. A wolf was doing a slow trot down the deer trail. He moved off to my right about 20 yards and stopped just out of my sight. It took me about 20 seconds to think to myself... "self, it's now dark, a wolf has stopped 20 yards away, you can't see him, you sitting on your ass on the ground, you have deer scent on ." .......... :eek: Well my pistol came out of the holster and I got up! That 30 minute walk though the pitch black woods to the truck seemed to take forever. :D

deerhunter17
March 21, 2005, 01:42 PM
The coolest thing I have ever seen while hunting was 3 bobcats. I was siting in the Wisconsin Rifle seasone, I had 3 bobcats walk about 15 yards from my stand. I could not belive it. They crossed the logging road, and went in some tall grass. I never heard or saw them after that. I will probaly never seen that again while hunting in a life time.

FirstFreedom
April 11, 2005, 10:22 AM
Saturday morning...put 2 turkey decoys down....got in blind....5 minutes later, I see movement, but it's not turkeys. A bobcat is stalking my decoys. He sneaks up behind them slowly, then stops just 3-4 feet behind them, tail twitching. He never pounces though - he could tell something wasn't right. He turned and left.

willsjeep
April 11, 2005, 12:21 PM
Several years ago I saw two bucks that had been fighting. They had locked horns and evidently had been that way for a while. One was down and the other one was barely standing.
I watched the one standing try to drag the other one around for a while. At that time our limit was one buck, so I shot the one standing (I thought the other one was dead, had not seen it move any at all). When he fell the other "dead deer" jerked around and came loose, stood up, shook and left for better places.
When I got to the deer, I found that he had broken part of his rack when he got loose.
I was only 13 at the time, so it seemed pretty special at the time. I often wonder what happened to that other buck, Hope he made it.

VirgilCaine
April 12, 2005, 11:50 AM
I was bow hunting in early october last year and was getting bugged by a very persistent Deer Fly (oh the irony). I had a ham sandwhich with me and decided to eat half of it. When i put the uneaten half back in the plastic bag the Deer fly buzzed into it. I thought "ha, gotcha sucker" and put the bag back into my pack. A few hours later, i went for the other half of my sandwhich, opened the plastic bag, and out flu the fly with a big match head sized piece of ham in it's mouth and took off with it! I was stunned.

Huntergirl
April 16, 2005, 01:25 PM
2 Things that were most interesting while hunting. Once while I was sitting near the convergence of game trails while deer hunting, a cow elk with a calf came right up the trail along with a huge bull elk trying to mount her. They were within 6ft from me before they noticed me.
Another time, while I was sitting at the edge of a hollow, elk hunting, a wounded cow elk came down a heavy pine ridge with a cougar in quick pursuit. The cougar got his meal.

FirstFreedom
April 18, 2005, 09:13 AM
Wow, huntress....Where?

Fat White Boy
April 29, 2005, 02:45 AM
I was wild boar hunting on Tejon Ranch about 20 miles north of downtown LA. I was walking down a trail when on another trail 20 feet below me, a cow elk trotted out of the bush. I watched her for about a minute. She still didn't know I was there so I whistled. She jumped straight up in the air and hit the ground running...I know, I know. Pigs and elk 20 miles from downtown LA? Google Tejon Ranch hunting...For real...BTW- I got a 175 pound sow that was gray with black spots...

Capt Charlie
May 1, 2005, 04:03 PM
This is a great thread! Hope it continues! Last year my cousin, his wife, and I got a cabin on the Clarion River in Cook Forest, PA to do a little canoeing, fishing for smallies, and all around relaxing. They really wanted to see a wild bear, and I told them the chances were good. The first night we sat around the campfire, had a few beers, and told fish stories. They still wanted to see a bear. I got tired (and a little tipsy) and decided to call it a night. I was just about to turn the lights out when cuz and wife came running into the cabin, slammed the door and commenced to close all the windows. I got up to see what was going on, looked out the window and saw a bear wandering around the cabin site. I looked over at cuz and said "I thought you wanted to see a bear". Sheesh. City people. :D

Several years prior in the same cabin, same cuz, another fishing buddy, and I were sitting around a campfire throwing marshmallows to an unusually bold raccoon. Cuz threw one about 6 feet from us and at the same time the 'coon went for it, a skunk came out of the shadows and went for it too. The two had a bit of a disagreement over ownership and we all thought we were going to get sprayed, but in spite of all the spitting and hissing and posturing, the skunk never did spray (but he did get the marshmallow) :D

FirstFreedom
May 2, 2005, 10:57 AM
Not too exciting, but this weekend I saw 2 crows chasing and harassing an owl, hot on its tail. I'd heard that crows and owls fight, but never witnessed this.

MeekAndMild
May 3, 2005, 10:00 PM
I saw a pileated woodpecker last month. It wasn't an ivory bill but it was still pretty big!

MEDDAC19
May 4, 2005, 12:50 PM
This is an old thread but still seems to get attention. Saw a brown water snake trying to eat a large toad. The snake had the toad's head in it's mouth but that was all. Looked so much like the posters of the hang in there vein I could not keep from laughing. Finally, after I calmed down I felt sorry for the toad and released it. The toad jumped out of the stream and the snake swam off, no doubt hungry and angry with my intervention.

Ohio Annie. The Texas Parks and Wildlife did a DNA study of the mountain Lion and they said! that the mountain lion does not have the DNA to make a black lion. I think the DNA missing made a pigment called melanin which make animals black.

When an animal has no melanin it is an albino.

BigBoreKindaGuy
May 4, 2005, 01:10 PM
Here's one literally involving me...

Got permission from a friend to deer hunt on his sister's farm land. At 5:00 AM in the dead of dark morning I pull my truck up in 2 feet of snow into her farm yard to park. I am in my one-piece hunting jump-suit. All of a sudden I have to take an emergency dump. Can't go in her house because its too early to wake her up.

So I take off my hunting boots and jump-suit and I am stark naked in the freezing cold. I proceed to squat and pooch my as* out while I hang onto the pickup truck bed wall. As I start of do my thing her stupid dog wakes up and decides to start howling up a storm. All of a sudden a flood light goes on and she opens the front door and is looking out to see why the dog is howling up a storm. There I am...stark naked...in her front yard....squat and pooched out with my backside facing her. :eek:

I look over my shoulder...she proceeds to start laughing up a storm and closes the door.

I forgot toilet paper so I proceed to use snow and newspaper to clean off. Meanwhile some dumb stupid chickens start running up to see if anything is edible. :barf:

The next day I hear about it at work from my friend about some stupid dumbas* his sister caught naked in her front yard.

Just a terrible way to start a morning of hunting. Terrible....... :(

MassHunter2190
May 4, 2005, 07:21 PM
BigBore-
One time I took a crap right under someone that was in there deerstand without knowing it. I heard a whistling noise and looked up to see a really ****** guy staring at me. woops...

Rojoe67
May 4, 2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks for 65 add ons to original........... This is great fun and hope you keep them coming.......... Regards......Rojoe67 :D

Took the kids to a little lake at the other end of our neighborhood. We put the canoe in and paddled down to the far end. We got under a big Willow tree. My little girl (8) was relaxing leaning back and we were softly talking about the geese we were watching just then a large Carp jumped right out of the water into the canoe........My poor little girl almost died of total heart attack that instant. I ain't going to lie it surprised the heck out of me even though I knew we were in the shallow Carp end of the lake........If I had a camera I was laughing to hard to catch a breath to snap a photo..... :D

FirstFreedom
May 4, 2005, 08:11 PM
BigBore and Mass, I guess that would be filed under "Interesting Things OTHER PEOPLE Have Seen While Were Hunting." :eek:

HOKIEHUNTER
May 11, 2005, 02:54 PM
I hate squirrels. When I first started hunting, every moving sound i heard in the woods was "a deer." I'd get excited, my heart would race, and after about 20-30 of hearing the noise but not being able to see (i hunt in pretty dense woods) the source, the little bastard would pop out and "burst my bubble." This ticked me off for a while and caused me to miss a quiet deer walking behind me on several occasions b/c i was so tuned into the racket the squirrel was making. I'm sure some of you were in the same situation when you first started hunting.

I say that b/c this past bow season the little jerks got me again. I was sitting in a stand looking down a game trail that I knew the deer walked up at night. This is a great spot and I've seen some big bucks here, but always when scouting and not during the season. Well my stand faced what looked to be a dying / almost dead tree about 30 yards ahead of me. I was facing this dead tree and the light was fading, I saw a squirrel pop out of a hole at the top of the tree, bark for a min., and then jump on to other branches. about 30 seconds later another squirrel jumped out the same hole, barked and ran off down another branch. While I was sitting there I counted 21 squirrels come out of the same hole in the same dead tree. i kinda chuckled around about the 16 squirrel or so and noticed something moving on the ground out of the corner of my eye. I looked down and an eight pointer that had been sneaking up the side of the ridge had a bead on me. I was standing up since it was getting late and had my bow resting on the stand, and as soon as i moved to raise my bow, he bolted on back down the ridge. I've yet to take a decent buck esp with a bow.

big daddy 9mm
June 16, 2005, 06:40 AM
for deer with about 4 friend that were hunting fanatics and I was in a tree house that was designed for deer hunting and I was just looking around from up there about 25 feet up and I here all this rucis right below me and I keep looking and I see nothing andI am geeting freaked out because I am paranoid when I am in the woods, any way this rustleing gets closer and suddenly I see two mice chasing each other, I was like ***! all this noise out of two mice! I was relieved. :confused: :confused: :confused: :) :D

Big Yac
June 16, 2005, 10:45 PM
last year during deer gun season here in east central Ohio a friend and I had a wolf (yes a wolf, not a coyote) come within several feet of us. We both had our guns up but when I yelled at it it went running. Nobody believes us yet. I still wonder if I should have shot it just to show everyone. The problem is, then I would have killed off something rare in our area or even state.

CarbineCaleb
June 16, 2005, 11:58 PM
I was down in the FL Keys on vacation and decided to see what life I could find - knew that the critters would like to be in cover underwater just as on land, and waded out into a gently sloping grassy stretch about 100 yards and was standing in thigh deep water, not 5 minutes out there when I saw a large black thing tip up out of the water - about 25 feet away... a few seconds later I saw white spots all over a broad black back (maybe 8 feet across) and I knew it was a spotted ray. I just stood still and let him come to me and he fed within about 15 feet! He was beautiful, and just incredibly graceful. Later on saw one of the same size when we rented a boat jump clean out of the water - fantastic!

guntotin_fool
June 17, 2005, 02:31 AM
have had nuthatches land on me and one on the bill of my hat and then lean over and look me right in the eye.

was coyote hunting once and was blowing the dying rabbit squeal while lying in a ground blind and had a coyote jump me from the backside we both just screamed and he took off like lightning. he never bit me just yelped and ran.

was hunting with my brother a few years ago when the rage was fully camo'ed up rifles. We had crossed the road from our land to county land and were walking along looking for one his son had shot earlier but had run off. All of a sudden my brother got real still and was looking around like something was off. I had my gun at ready and was ready to ask him what was up when he walked up and picked up a rifle leaning against a tree. He was looking at it and then I smelled a horrible smell and notice a poop pile and some toilet paper at the base of another tree. As we looked around we noticed a whole lot of turmoil had taken place as the hunter had walked from poop pile to tree to tree in a growing circle. While we are not CSI we figured mr hunter had felt the need while walkin and in a hurry had leaned the rifle against the tree and then found a tree to lean on for support while answering natures call. in his haste, and the pile suggested much haste had been needed, he had forgotten which tree he had leaned his gun against. My brother took out one of his business cards and stuck it on a twig above the poop site and off we went in seach of the wounded deer. we never did get a call about the rifle. and we still call it the poopie gun.

June 17, 2005, 11:31 AM
poopy gun, that's too funny!

I was hunting deer once with two friends. It was raining. I saw a beat-up old row boat that someone had dragged out into the forest. I decided I would make my way over to it. It was over-turned, with part of it leaning on a tree stump or something. I was slowly creeping through the forest so I wouldn't make any extra noise. I got right up to the boat and...ZOOM!!, out comes a red fox bolting away. It was so close, I could have almost touched it. I almost had poopy pants after that! :D

Bosshoff
June 23, 2005, 12:27 PM
I was bow hunting out of a HUGE oak tree. I was standing on a limb about 18 feet up in the air, with my back to the tree trunk. I was in full camo w/ facemask. Out of the corner of my eye I saw motion and speed. It happened so fast, I did not even react or flinch. A Huge batman-eared Great Horned Owl landed on the same branch about ten feet away from me. He came in like a football, and just slammed on the brakes with both wings. Wow, was that fantastic. He was there about ten minutes, during which he never saw me. I started to make a barely audible click noise, and he would twist his neck all the way around and look right at me. He would then bob his head maybe trying to get me to react. After about four or five "clicks" from me, he took off thinking the tree was haunted. He got up, dropped to ground level, and swooped right accross the bean field I was hunting. Definitely the coolest thing I have encountered in the woods

sm
June 24, 2005, 07:30 PM
Usually the game is making note of me so they can post on the WIF ( Wildlife Internet Forum) about me , or me and some of my buds out hunting.

Bull: Chased a quail hunter today...

Quail: scared the beejeebers of a young 'un on his first quail hunt, think I made him pee his pants upon experiencing his first quail flush...

Snake: well the fish were just on the stringer, I just helped myself to a few...

Deer: Got caught being amororus with Ms. Doe

Turkey: Lost my Brother today, some idiot was not wearing camo, instead blue jeans ,white tennis shoes, kahki shirt, smoking a cigarette. Brother figured the guy was an idiot and took off to fly...guy shot my brother. I thought the new Regs said they had to wear camo, sit still so we could keep and eye on 'em and listen to that stupid calling...

Dove: I know that guy, took out most of my kinfolk...

Skunk: yeah can't get no privacy, caught me playing with the young'uns

Beaver:...fellas kept watching us build with binocs , grinning , watching...

Greenheads: Snowing like crazy and the temp drops. We go in to the flooded timber, we knew better, but that day the fella's put up the shotguns, and just watched. Broke out the video camera, sipping coffee, soup. Just watching us come in by the droves. Dogs got under some blankets with the folks...peaceful, serene...

Boarhunter
July 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
Several months ago, I was dog-hunting Russian hog in Tennessee with several of my buddies. After "humping" the rough mountains for several hours without much success, I spied a nice looking goat down in the thickets, partially hidden by a treetop. Nice large head; impressive horns. But the goat appeared (from where we were) to be standing in a very deep hole of some sort, because the view I had of such a fine trophy appeared too low to the ground to be "normal." So I changed gears from hog to goat, and took an impressive frontal shot, and the goat dropped to the ground (7.62x39 entered the chest, travelled the body lengthwise, and left the goat out the buttocks or thereabouts).

To my surprise, though, the goat was not standing in a hole.... nor was the ground even "level" where the goat stood awaiting my shot... as best as I could tell, this goat was, in fact, standing on something of a hill just to appear SHORT....

I had killed the most embarrassing trophy of my life. A nice goat head and horns hooked onto some sort of midget goat body....

Needless to say, the after-hunt photos were passed around for the entertainment value...four or five nice Russian hogs and my midget goat. With the big head. Looked like a Mexican piƱata. My 8-year-old daughter claims she has stuffed animals on her bed larger.

So to prove a point, I am getting the impressive head mounted, and the body will mature in size over the years with the retelling of the story. Promise. For "embellishment" is a required part of the telling of hunting stories.

Boarhunter