PDA

View Full Version : bobcat hunting question

wudjalike2no
December 28, 2004, 01:02 PM
i'm looking for a little advice on the best way to hunt bobcat. how bout that scent loc and all that stuff, seems a bit excessive to me, but i've never done this so i don't know. just curious really, i want to hunt something in the off season of deer, but i've never tried bobcat hunting and i figured i might. any help would be great, thanks

December 28, 2004, 01:52 PM
I have never actually hunted bobcats, but instead find them a PITA when I am hunting coyotes.
I have driven down dirt roads, played a call (dying rabbit) and had bobcats come right up to the truck. I call them in so often that I no longer shoot at eyes because I don't want to shoot bobcats. They seem to be very stupid and seem to not be able to resist the call no matter what. The last one I shot was within 10 feet of my truck with both doors open, the interior lights on, the headlights on and my buddy and I talking. I first spotted the eyes at about 150 yards. I couldn't believe how fast it came in. It basically heard the call and ran full tilt right to the truck.

yorec
December 28, 2004, 01:53 PM
Over hounds is the best way INMNSHO. The thrill of the hound music and the strenuous chase is most memorable. Gotta find someone who is a hound handler if you're not.

Second would be calling them in with a predator call. Need someone who calls or get your own and learn the ins and outs. Takes a while.

Then, spot and stalk - good luch finding 'em. Most elusive. Use binocs at the least and stay still and camoed up.