PDA

View Full Version : Action for a budget custom rifle

hooboy
December 26, 2004, 09:42 PM
Can any one recommend a budget action such as the Howa or Daly? If so is there a reliable online source for them? I am considering building a 6.5-284 for hunting purposes and recreational target work.

Jim Watson
December 26, 2004, 10:53 PM
No such thing as a budget custom rifle unless you can do all the work yourself.

That said, I'd use a Howa action. It is a Sako derivative while the Daly is a Mauser.

I don't know where to get one, though. Strip down a second hand rifle?

cntryboy1289
December 26, 2004, 11:53 PM
Look up gunsandammo.net. They have several of the VZ24 as well as other mauser actions. Shotgun News is another excellent source as well as Numerich. I like the vz24 personally. You can get the newer mauser by using the Charles Daily, but you will be paying about as much as you can buy a very good Savage rifle to use one. The only thing you get for the extra money is a Mauser without the thumb slot. I like that idea, but it isn't worth the extra $300 to get it. I use a one piece scope base on mine which helps to strengten the action a little. I haven't had any problems with the rifles I have built. A good reciever, barrel and stock with all the trimmings will run you around $400. For this money, you end up with the stock and barrel you want and not a thin profiled barrel and cheap stock the manufacturers put out for the same money.

dfaugh
December 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
Most any "98 style" large ring military Mauser action...Have built one (all work done by me) on a '93(small ring), and am starting another on VZ-24 action. The VZ-24 is considered better by most, the one I've got has a REALLY smooth action. The Turks are good, but use a small ring thread on the barrel, so barrel selection is more limited, if you buy one already threaded. Since the .284 case has a .473 rebated rim(same as 8x57 or 30-06), no major modifications are needed to the bolt face, but because its "fatter" you might need to modify the magazine a little for proper feeding. Also, will probably only be able to get 4 in the mag, as opposed to usual 5. Not a big deal. many will tell you that you can buy a rifle for less than building up a Mauser, which is sorta true, but then its not a "custom" rifle, and a properly (re)built Mauser can do most anything as well or better than many high-dollar rifles. And if you do some or all of the work yourself, and "scrounge" parts from auction sites, etc. can build good one really cheap.

Lazy D
December 27, 2004, 09:06 PM
You can buy a Remington ADL at Wal-mart or Academy for about $340.00. Take the barrel and stock and list them for sale here or on an auction sight and you will end up with a little over $200 in the brand new action. Remingtons are hard to beat. I just bought a NIB Rem BDL Stainless Synthetic in 300SAUM for just over $400.00. I am using it for a custom job. I'll have a magnum action (short) for about $300 once I part out the stuff I don't need. Good luck

Clemson
December 28, 2004, 04:48 PM
The only reason to build a 6.5x284 is to fit the cartridge into a short action. A Sako or a Remington in the appropriate action length would be my choice. If you want to use a Mauser or a Howa, do yourself a favor and make the rifle up in something like a 6.5x57 or a 6.5-06. That way you avoid the high cost of the .284 brass, and you don't give up magazine capacity. On top of that, the .284 case is a bear to get to feed in a Mauser action. It can be done, but it takes someone who knows what he is doing on the feed rails.

Clemson

Harry Bonar
January 20, 2005, 05:26 PM
Jim Watson is right on!

Jseime
January 26, 2005, 07:53 PM
savage has reintroduced the stevens name in rifles and as far as i know they are selling them through wal-mart they should be cheap or i dont see anything wrong with the daly mauser. the mauser is considered by some to be the best military bolt in history. also instead of the 6.5-284 i've heard great things about the .260 rem and its factory :D