PDA

View Full Version : Pigeons

pinkfloydman
November 13, 2004, 10:30 PM
a little backround:i stay up at a farm up in VT and the owners and close friends have a dairy farm. in the farm pidgens always nest but the farmers said that when the pidens go the bathroom it can land in the cows food, and when the cows eat the food they can get sick, so they tell us to shoot as many as possible, this is all fun but then what to do with the pidgens? does anyone know of any usefull way to use the dead pidgens???

Alfa One
November 14, 2004, 03:53 AM
Eat them? In many European countries this happen. It tends to be very good meat to eat, so...

Long Path
November 14, 2004, 10:56 AM
I eat pigeon. They are a type of dove (feral rock dove), pretty closely related to the mourning dove and white wing dove that we hunt here in Texas. If I'm hunting anywhere near a railroad trestle or a barn, I'll often get a shot at a pigeon or two, to supplement my bag. The breasts (the only part to eat) are at least twice as big as mourning dove breasts, but the meat's the same. It's all dark meat. You'll find the craw is full of the exact same seeds and grains as the craws of the mourning dove. (Down here, that's maize and dove weed and sunflower seeds, predominantly.) In Texas, there's no closed season, no bag limit on pigeons. I find that 7.5 shot is perfect for pigeons, but 8's and 9's can get the job done at close range. For longer passing shots, 6's are okay, too.

Prep 'em by removing the breasts and soaking in brine water for a few hours. (Not required, but plumps 'em nicely.) Filet the breast meat from the breastbones, and quarter'em into a bowl with some garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and a little brown sugar, and let 'em sit for a few minutes. I like to toss insome sake or rice-wine vinegar, as well. I then put in several diced jalepenos and a diced onion. Cook it in a wok or big pan, then work up a dark sauce or gravy with water and corn starch and maybe some Kitchen Bouquet or soy sauce. Serve over fluffy rice. Good stuff. :)

Other technique is the old Texas dove-hunter's trick: put a jalepeno in the breast or put a jalepeno half on each side of the breast, wrap the whole thing with a slice of bacon and secure with a wet toothpick, and grill over charcoal or just roast in the oven in a shallow pan until the bacon is crispy. Simplicity can be wonderful!

12-34hom
November 15, 2004, 10:23 AM
For a tune up during off months, finding structures that hold these pesky varmints, and wing shooting them for practice & fun. [They provide a great challenge]. Out of my 410's i normally use 71/2 or 6 shot to sky bust these winged critters.

There is a season here in Iowa for them - why i can't tell ya..... :confused:

Never eaten one, left where shot for other varmints to feast on.

12-34hom.

FirstFreedom
November 16, 2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the cuisine tips, LongPath - I figured they'd be good to eat, since they're not scavengers of carrion, and related to doves.

kjm
November 20, 2004, 02:07 AM
I like my pigeon like this:

Breast them, take a slice of jalapeno and put it in the center with a dab of cream cheese. Then wrap the whole thing in a piece of bacon and grill it done. Use a toothpick to wrap the rascal in.

I used to work around horses and the pigeons were a never-ending source of grilling material. I used a pellet gun and worked on getting headshots. They were all grainfed on sweet feed (grains covered in molasses). They tasted great. I usually salt and pepper mine.

Bon appetite!

pinkfloydman
November 20, 2004, 08:58 PM
wow i never knew pigen could be used that way......im going to have to try these thanks....

CJNies
November 22, 2004, 10:16 AM
I remember being sent up into the hay loft to flush the pigeons out to my dad and his buddies, it was like live trap shooting. We ate plenty of pigeon growing up and it does taste great. I’ve sold squab in restaurants for $30.00 a plate. Most pseudo intellectuals don’t realize they’re eating young pigeon :rolleyes:
One caution however, I would not eat pigeon that was within feeding range of too many golf course or a metro area. Pesticides, herbicides and ice melting chemicals consumed by pigeons need to be considered.

beenthere
January 9, 2005, 09:55 PM
Just checked Webster to make sure I was correct. Fledgling pigeon (around 4 weeks old) = squab as in "Hi falutin delicacy" = squab under glass. :)

FirstFreedom
January 10, 2005, 11:09 PM
So does anyone else think eatin city pigeons is a bad idea? I sure could, as many of them as are around here....??

357MagFan
January 10, 2005, 11:25 PM
If pigeon is tasty would you eat sea gulls too?

Kyote
January 11, 2005, 08:32 AM
Don't care for dark meat. Now ferral kitty an' we're talkin!

Smokey Joe
January 21, 2005, 12:25 AM
are the same bird, the European Rock Dove (Columba livia). But in the city they eat all sorts of you-never-know-what. So there, ya shouldn't eat 'em. On the farm, however, as has been pointed out, they are very well fed. My son used to call them "flying meals," and he and his grandpa had great fun shooting & cleaning them and gramma made them up for dinner. Yum! BTW, the unused parts of the pigeons didn't get wasted; the barn cats gleefully cleaned up the rest, and the feathers, bones, etc, went onto the land from the manure spreader.

I've never known a farmer who wasn't eager to have fewer barn pigeons on his place.

As to seagulls, they are scavengers; wherever they are they eat all sorts of you-never-know-what. Furthermore, since they are good at cleaning messes off beaches, they are protected in many areas. So I can't reccommend shooting/eating them.

mete
January 21, 2005, 08:04 AM
Times have changed !! In the old days farms would have a house on top of the barn [dovecote] for raised pigeons.They do make tasty meals.City pigeons I wouldn't eat or handle as they may carry disease that can be transmitted to people . :(

impact
January 21, 2005, 11:06 PM
Eat them! They tast like duck. When I go the ranches around here to hunt coyotes I take my shotgun. I go early and clean out the barns :D

Jseime
January 28, 2005, 09:06 PM
i like the 22 for pigeons but i dont eat em i just kill em in old grain bins and leave em where they are i might try one someday but i dont have a shotgun to get em so itll have to be a headshot

armedandsafe
January 28, 2005, 10:12 PM
When I was in high school (mannnny years ago) we used to hunt McDonald's farm. We had permission only so long as we stopped at the barn before going out and after coming back in to shoot pigeons. My buddy and I took turns standing outside, under the loft door, while the other went in and climbed up to flush the little devils. They would come tumbling out, flying on one wing at a time and the one on the ground would have 3 shotguns to try to bag some. Great times.

The Lady who rented the apartment we had in the basement used to make us pigoens and dumplings. A layer of onion slices, a layer of pigeon breasts, a brown gravy and a layer of dumplings, baked in a cast iron dutch oven. I'm hungry just remembering that and I just finished dinner. :D

Pops

Twycross
February 9, 2005, 03:31 PM
:barf: Sorry, but eating feral pigeons sounds disgusting. They carry disease, and hang out in very unsanitary places (barns). They are flying rats. In Idaho, they are unprotected game. Meaning you can take however many you want, any way you want, all year round and do not have to use the meat. When I kill pigeons, they become coyote food. I hope I have not offended anyone here, but I would not eat a pigeon unless it was necessary for survival, or if I would offend someone else by not doing so.

FirstFreedom
February 9, 2005, 04:53 PM
To each his own. Horses and cows hang out in barns too, and they're quite edible. I think that an obscure procedure known as "cooking" kills off any pathogens, just as it does trichinosis in swine. :)

pinkfloydman
February 9, 2005, 06:14 PM
haha and Twycross, pidgens are doves, do you eat doves
?

Twycross
February 11, 2005, 02:01 AM
I have never hunted doves as a sport. Just pigeons as pest control. It just seems weird to eat either of them. It would seem that they are not worth the shotshell. But then again, I shoot english sparrows with my .270... :D

And FirstFreedom, horses and cow are domestic animals, raised for food, not feral critters engaged in annoying them.

What is "cooking"? :confused: :D

LAK
February 11, 2005, 05:02 AM
Pigeon is very good table fare. I agree concerning those in the urban setting; it is not not just what they eat - but also what they drink that would concern me.

WaltherP99
March 7, 2005, 10:50 PM
Doves are delish!!! Just cook them right and you got the potential for some good sammiches!!! :)

artsmom
March 9, 2005, 11:32 AM
Once you get pigeon meat above 180 degrees for the required time, how they lived or what they ate is irrelevant. The only exemption is if someone might be poisoning them to control their numbers, as I have recently read some cities are now doing.

If you wouldn't eat a pigeon for fear of what it might be eating, I take it you wouldn't touch a catfish. I also won't tell you how many thousands of mallards I have seen picking corn out of cow...leavings in a feed lot, or a flock of 70 some wild turkeys doing the same.

If you do eat feral pigeons, the biggest health threat would come in cleaning them, but no more so than any other wild game.

yorec
March 9, 2005, 11:43 AM
Awww.... You guys are making me hungry! And I just had breakfast... How'm I supposed to keep my weight down with this sort of thing all over the net?

(Did I mention I love doves... fried, bakec, wrapped in bacon or not... Yum. Will have to try pigeon this summer when all the other seasons are closed! :cool: )

FirstFreedom
March 9, 2005, 12:34 PM
Once you get pigeon meat above 180 degrees for the required time, how they lived or what they ate is irrelevant. The only exemption is if someone might be poisoning them to control their numbers, as I have recently read some cities are now doing.

If you wouldn't eat a pigeon for fear of what it might be eating, I take it you wouldn't touch a catfish. I also won't tell you how many thousands of mallards I have seen picking corn out of cow...leavings in a feed lot, or a flock of 70 some wild turkeys doing the same.

Thank you, artsmom! That is just what I had suspected, and what I tell my friends that I believe. No different than cooking trichinosis out of pigs. Truth be told, I'd eat crows, anything, so long as (a) it tastes good, and (b) it's been thoroughly cooked, and (c) has no toxins or pollutants from man sources (like poisoning or PCB or whathaveyou). BTW, are you actually the mother of a gentleman named Art? Mmmm, love catfish!

Long Path
March 15, 2005, 12:15 PM
Ducks are also famous for eating mosquitos. Think about that for a second...

And I will absolutely laugh in the face of anyone who wrinkles their nose at "feral rock dove" but happily eats any item that comes from domesticated pork.

jerryd
March 15, 2005, 12:37 PM
God i would eat pigeon before a chicken! My uncle used to raise them for racing and the slow ones became FOOD!

impact
March 16, 2005, 08:50 PM
pigeons to me taste lick duck and I like duck. When I pig hunt ranch land the ranchers want me to shoot pigeons as well. I have no problems with that :)

20cows
March 17, 2005, 12:19 PM
"And FirstFreedom, horses and cow are domestic animals, raised for food, not feral critters engaged in annoying them."

Nobody's eatin' my horses until I'm through with 'em and then I bet they'd rather eat a pigeon.

Pigeons are FERAL, meaning bred to be DOMESTIC, but got out on ther own. What makes a barn a suitibly nice environment for a cow that you're gonna eat, but a nasty place for a pigeon?

Feral hogs tend to be less "nasty" than farm raised because in the wild, they don't have to sleep in their own waste. They are leaner and possibly even healthier.

Some folks have intersting preceptions of food.

Fat White Boy
April 16, 2005, 02:36 PM
If you know a Dairy Farmer in Southern California, they will usually let you shoot them. We don't eat them because of what was previously said about insecticides, rat poison and other things in the area that they can eat. Big time fun though. I use #4's on 'em. A little extra range and harder hit...

MEDDAC19
April 28, 2005, 01:19 AM
Had trouble sleeping and saw this thread. Pigeons are not really feral; rock doves were here before the white-man. I'm sure you all have heard of passenger pigeons, I don't think they were feral. They were another species of dove. Rock doves roosted on cliffs and outcroppings originally, and quite happily took to our buildings and bridges. Because we domesticated some doves, homing and tumbling pigeons to name a few, doesn't mean rock doves are feral. I am sure that all you dog owners don't consider foxes or hyenas feral dogs. Even city pigeons are safe to eat if handled and cooked properly. If you will eat rabbit and I sure do, you should have no qualms about eating pigeon. Rabbits eat their own droppings in the winter! :barf:

MassHunter2190
April 28, 2005, 08:53 PM
Background: Pigeons like to nest in our barns and crap all over the tobacco, which then pretty much destroys the leaves. I take care of this problem with my .410.

does anyone know of any usefull way to use the dead pidgens???

Well, I've never eaten one, and I don't think I ever will. Not a big fan of eating rats, which is basically what a pigeon is except it has wings and travels more than 50 ft in its lifetime. What I do is take a pocket knife to its stomach, open it up for extra smelliness, throw them in a pile and wait for the coyotes to come.