PDA

View Full Version : Walther P-99 Mags in a Ruger PC-9 carbine

Corejob
November 6, 2004, 10:53 AM
Just thought I'd pass this along.

I have a Ruger PC-9 9mm carbine. It uses Ruger Pistol magazines, but I happened to notice that Walther P-99 magazines were very similar. Sure enough, with a minor modification, Walther P-99 (and presumably S&W SW99 mags) will work in a PC-9, although the bolt hold open device won't function.

To modify the magazines, you need to mill a small horizontal slot in the front of the magazine body about 0.200 wide so that the top edge of the slot is 1.700 from the front lip of the magazine. I used a 1/8 inch end mill. The magazine works flawlessly in both the carbine and the Walther.

4V50 Gary
November 6, 2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the tip. The value of information of this nature is that in times of need, we can "mickey-mouse" and improvise. I'd hate to see an expensive gun magazine fiddled with to make it work in another gun, but better to do that than to have a semi that is a single shot. :(

Now, can you adapt the Calico 100 round helical drum to the Ruger 9mm carbine? A feed tower of sorts perhaps? ;)

Corejob
November 6, 2004, 01:52 PM
Since I carry a Walther P-99, the ability to use the same mags in the carbine is a useful modifications. Ruger should have made a seperate magazine well, sothat adapters for other pistol mags could have been substituted. They also should have used a Picatinny rail, but i intend to fix that shortly.