PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Bear Gun

Wildalaska
December 7, 2002, 02:52 AM
OK its a plug, but I am still smiling!

It sort of started out as a joke, then of course after it was done, everybody who handled it had that stupid grin on their faces...

Its the ultimate Bear Defense Gun...the Wild West Guns Bushwacker..

Barrel length, 14 3/8 inches, stock cut off at the pistol grip, big loop lever, ghost ring sights, chambered in 457 magnum, Laser Light mount attached and a Insight Technologies M6 laser/illuminator attached.

Shot from the hip using the laser at about 15 feet, all the 457 Mag 405 Kodiaks were in a circle about 3 inches. Muzzle jump, because of the porting was non existent. If you hold it to close to your tummy, your spleen gets a kicking, but other wise its a gas to shoot.

We are going to try to shoot it one handed, its light enough to hold. Discretion being the better part of valor, probably will use 405 Remingtons!

And available from an NFA dealer in your state!

Guess what I'm gonna carry this summer!
:D

lilbiggun
December 7, 2002, 05:12 AM
personally, I'll keep with an 18" bbl and a full stock rifle, unless of course your gonna have a demonstration where we can test out these beasts to see if we are interested. I mean I'm not gonna drop money on a class 3 license without some insight on it.

It sounds like a good idea but I never had much luck with a shotgun with a pistol grip.

Wildalaska
December 13, 2002, 06:17 PM
Come on by and check it out...maybe we can find some spare ammo :)

Here it is by the way
http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Bushwacker2.jpg

Zorro
December 13, 2002, 09:36 PM
Looks like something for the New Terminator III Movie!

Wildalaska
December 14, 2002, 12:48 AM
Wild huh? :)..who says it has to be practical!? :)

PaladinX13
December 14, 2002, 01:42 AM
To me, this is exactly what guns are about... FUN! :D

Jeeper
December 14, 2002, 06:40 PM
If ya ditch that moronic laser it would be cooler.

Wildalaska
December 14, 2002, 10:12 PM
That laser is the only way to aim it..:)

gordo b.
December 15, 2002, 07:56 PM
Front sight, front sight , front sight, front sight all else is Movie hype B.S..:eek:

PaladinX13
December 15, 2002, 08:39 PM
Com'on guys, this gun pretty much has to be shot from the hip if you don't want to break a wrist... so how else you gonna aim it?

MeekAndMild
December 15, 2002, 10:36 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I've always heard that a bear could beat a race horse in the hundred yard dash. I think I'd want something that could be shot from a longer distance, with standard stock for stability.

Wildalaska
December 16, 2002, 01:27 AM
Well if you shoot them further away (like 50 yards or so) youll have some explaining to do to F&G...

More likely you will need to shoot up close and personal anyway..

bronco61
December 17, 2002, 01:31 PM
I think I'd want something that could be shot from a longer distance

Not if you're walking or fishing a densly wooded salmon stream or hiking these wooded trails.

And like WildAlaska stated, you have to be reeeel close to legaly shoot a bear in defense. Most times they false charge and stop just a few yards away while you wait with sweat dripping off you and your sphincter squeezed hard enough to crush diamonds, hoping and praying she turns around.

MarineTech
December 17, 2002, 08:51 PM
Truthfully.... I didn't think there was anything that needed improving on the Co-Pilot. Great brush gun, small enough to tote around comfortable, and accurate for the ranges it's likely to be employed in.

I think the Bushwacker is an interesting concept, but what can it do that a .475 or .500 Linebaugh revolver can't?

Wildalaska
December 17, 2002, 09:00 PM
"I think the Bushwacker is an interesting concept, but what can it do that a .475 or .500 Linebaugh revolver can't?"

Well its more powerfful...but other than that...its sure impressive at the range.....:)

k-dog
December 17, 2002, 11:52 PM
Wait a second. Federal law problems when you cut a rifle barrel below 16.5 inches. Little felonies, and little trips to prison. :eek:
Might be good for bear, but I sure don't think it's worth losing your virginity over.

MarineTech
December 18, 2002, 12:38 AM
Good point k-dog. Isn't that the reason Steve McQueen's "Mares Leg" from the old westerns was classified as a destructive device. Not sure if I'd want to pick up a tax stamp for a lever action.

Keith Rogan
December 18, 2002, 02:20 PM
I don't think I want to trust my life in the Alaskan bush to any gun that requires an exposed electronic gizmo and batteries to aim!

And how do you get your second shot off? With a lever rifle you just use your trigger hand to snap another round in the chamber without losing your sight picture. With this thing... By the time you got another round in and re-aimed, you'd wish you had a rifle instead!

Neat toy, but I hope nobody ever straps this thing on as a serious weapon.

bronco61
December 18, 2002, 03:06 PM
I'm totally with you Kieth. Showed the gun to a couple buddies and they had the same opinions.

Wildalaska
December 18, 2002, 04:19 PM
Actually it comes with a regular stock..the pistol grip is just for looks and giggles.

Its a lot more shootable with the stock :)

Its actually surprisingly fast to get a second shot off with the pistol grip...but the regular stock is still way faster....

Keith Rogan
December 18, 2002, 05:57 PM
I'm still puzzled. If it's faster with a stock then why not just add another 1 1/4 inches to the barrel and have a rifle you don't need a class III license to buy?

I know, you could call it the co-pilot!

Oh yeah, and take that electronic thingy off of there!

H&H,hunter
December 18, 2002, 06:18 PM
I do know one thing for certain if batteries are included it ain't going to be on my dangerous game rig.

As far as the sawed off look,are we trying to attract more bloods and crips into the wilds of Alaska? I mean shoot, gang bangers got the right to hunt too!! This looks like the perfect drive by Moose rig.;)

gordo b.
December 18, 2002, 11:01 PM
Yeah a 16" legal barrel, a stock so you can use some real sights:ghost ring or express, then you can defend against REAL bears.;)

Mannlicher
December 20, 2002, 08:25 PM
If'n yer gonna shoot this silly thing from the hip, using the laser, why do you have a sight on it? If you are gonna use the sight, I fear you may well eat it when you touch it off. Looks pretty dumb to me. :)

dZ
December 20, 2002, 09:54 PM
me still thinks, Tromix 458 SOCOM on an AR lower would be potent ursine juju:
http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm

Zorro
December 21, 2002, 12:26 AM
Maybe he wants Defense against CHICAGO Bears and UCLA Bruins?

;)

Wildalaska
December 21, 2002, 03:55 AM
Why not add a few inches to the barrel so you dont need a Class 3 license?

Well...

Because! :)

And the next one is gonna be threaded for a suppressor.....

Why....

Because.....we can :)

And I hear there is a 12 inch mares leg style in the works....:)

Why.....

Just because!

By the way the sights are usable when you shoot it off hand...

Get a grip guys this stuff is supposed to be fun!

MeekAndMild
December 22, 2002, 12:39 AM
And like WildAlaska stated, you have to be reeeel close to legaly shoot a bear in defense. Most times they false charge and stop just a few yards away while you wait with sweat dripping off you and your sphincter squeezed hard enough to crush diamonds, hoping and praying she turns around. Well IF I ever go to Alaska and IF I get charged by a bear and IF there is an F&G guy there with a tape measure and video camera gathering evidence I just might take a step behind him before I decide whether or not to shoot the bear. :p

lilbiggun
December 22, 2002, 02:09 AM
Today I had to do it and stopped in and seen this beast. Even though I havent shot it and I'm not into pistol grip guns, the stocked version is nice. I was impressed. As soon as the suppressed version is done I'm definitly gonna check it out. It just so happens I do have a stock 1895SS in my safe. After seeing it it might be worth the money and paperwork.

MarineTech
December 23, 2002, 09:24 PM
Get a grip guys this stuff is supposed to be fun!

Oh my mistake. I thought you were actually trying to come up with a firearm to sell. It seems you're just foolin' around. Well in that case, why don't you rechamber the bugger for .50BMG and decrease of the grip even further. Wow!!! That would be lot's of fun!!! Wait...... Why don't we just drop an anvil on our head, a la, Wylie Coyote. HEY!!! Even more fun!!!!

Sorry WildAlaska, you come up with an actual viable firearm concept, and I'll show a bit more enthusiasm.

saskie
December 23, 2002, 11:22 PM
If the bear is close enough to call it self defense the "2nd shot" better be aimed at your head.

Wildalaska
December 24, 2002, 01:56 AM
Gee Marine Tech, thanks for enlightening me that SBRs arent viable.

Had a couple of LEs who grabbed it and thought otherwise....

But I guess they are wrong too....

And theres a 50AK in the works....

Hope to continue this on the new Board

blackopsglock
December 24, 2002, 05:49 PM
If thats not the pot calling the kettle black.

Arent you the one that advocates using pepper sray against a charging bear?

Art Eatman
December 25, 2002, 12:41 AM
Christmas Eve. Christmas. Merry, merry and Ho, ho, ho. That means it's time for this thread to either regain sanity, courtesy and politeness or see it disappear into the never-never land of the magic Delete key.

Be nice. Go hug a bear. Listen to Lyle Lovett.

:D, Art

PaladinX13
December 25, 2002, 01:06 AM
http://wildwestgunscom.mavweb.net/Bushwacker2.jpg

New site. New link.

Art Eatman
December 25, 2002, 09:34 AM
Seems to me that controllability in a high-speed threat situation would be a problem, with this rig. Small movements of the left hand make large misdirection of the muzzle. A shoulder-mounted rifle can be cycled almost as quickly, and initially brought to point of aim far more quickly.

A conventional rifle should be faster as to the first aimed shot--which is usually the most important shot of all.

However, comparative testing on targets beats the heck out armchair opinions. For instance, trying this rig against a conventional rifle for the time to the first hit at a 10-yard target would be a start. I suggest as a target, a 55-gallon drum being rolled toward the shooter, with the "kill zone" being a 4" strip painted around it.

Wrap a rope around the barrel, with the Puller standing behind the Shooter. Shooter starts with eyes closed, and goes into action upon a signal of whatever sort. The stopwatch starts with the signal.

The real-world problem is that of readiness for an unexpected attack. Few are ready, regardless of the style of weapon. Or, they're so ready that there is little point to being there in the first place.

:D, Art

Quartus
December 25, 2002, 09:44 AM
Art, that would take the "fun" out of it! :D

Though I bet Randy Weaver has a different idea of how much "fun" it is to get the FBI's attention on a weapons charge.

H&H,hunter
December 25, 2002, 05:43 PM
WildAlaska,

Know what dude?

The New Yorker really comes out in you sometimes!!!!

So why don't you take your little toy to NYC where it may have some use as a crack house protector.

But in the mean time you can take your attitude and your wild west guns and go jump in the north pacific and cool off a bit. I know it's tough this time of the year just try and find a crack in ice.

The times that I've been in shop you just as hot headed and rude as you are online.

Merry Christmas.

Al Thompson
December 25, 2002, 10:23 PM
Say good night folks.