PDA

View Full Version : Your suggestions for response to "I'm not a Bambi-killer".

super cub
November 9, 2002, 08:23 PM
Over the years, casual conversations with friends and coworkers, male and female, have resulted in mentions of deer-hunting. In a spirit of hospitality, I have extended invitations to certain of these people to
come hunting with me. They may not realize it, but I have the opportunity to show them a very enjoyable hunting experience. Anyway, how does one properly reply to the above response to an invitation--"I'm not a Bambi-killer", yet remain a gentleman ? I usually just say, "neither am I", but I depart the conversation truly offended. Some of these people outrank me on the job, so I have to tread lightly. Is this "not a Bambi-killer" response something you all have also experienced? Just curious, and I will appreciate your opinions.

Catbird
November 9, 2002, 08:34 PM
"Oh! I'm sorry...I didn't realize that you were a vegetarian. Wait a minute -- wasn't that a ham sandwich I saw you eating yesterday?":eek:

Art Eatman
November 9, 2002, 08:35 PM
My responses vary with the audience. For some, "I'm a natural-food freak." brings it all to a halt and forces a bit of re-thinking. I'll sometimes say, "I'm a do-it-yourselfer on my food; just like a gardener."

Or I'll ask how Bambi is more noble or of higher morality than a cow or other food animal.

Why is it wrong to enjoy acquiring food? I'd really like to know.

Again: Only the hunter and the gardener start from zero in providing their own food. All others merely hire somebody else to do the scutwork for them, but the scutwork is always done before eating--else you don't eat.

I note that we had a pair of murder trials in Texas, involving a hired killer. The one who did the hiring got a stiffer sentence than the one who did the killing. Moral comparisons? Hmmm? :D

Art

lhkas
November 9, 2002, 08:37 PM
YES
most of us have gone through it,it's not a matter of being a bamby killer,would they like to see them starve to death in the middle of winter because theres nothing for them to eat,your supervisors will allways try to imtimedate you if they know they can get away with it.

KSFreeman
November 9, 2002, 08:38 PM
Isn't protein the "in" thing to eat now?

For a response, how about, "I'm just going for "free-range" protein.":D

Hkmp5sd
November 9, 2002, 08:42 PM
"Oh, you hire someone else to do your killing for you?"

"Not just Bambi, I killed his sister and mom too."

"I Love the smell of grilled Bambi in the morning. It smells like....breakfast!"

Dave R
November 9, 2002, 08:45 PM
If you're going to eat meat, isn't it kinder to let you meat roam wild and free until harvested, rather than eat something that has been raised in a pen?

Zorro
November 9, 2002, 10:11 PM
"Bambi? Sorry I don't watch Cult Films"

:D

Or

"Walt Disney was a hunter, you do know that?"

;)

Art Eatman
November 9, 2002, 10:32 PM
Q: How did John James Audubon paint all those pictures of birds?

A: He shot them. He could then see exactly which feathers were what color. He could describe specific sizes.

Aldo Leopold was a hunter. SFAIK, John Muir hunted. Most naturalists were hunters.

Art

MeekAndMild
November 9, 2002, 11:06 PM
Other: I'm not a Bambie killer.

Meek: Bambie? Oh, you mean like the cartoon? Right. (big smile) You ever wonder what kind of herbicides they put on your soybeans?

Other: Wait a second, I'm not a tofu eater. I just don't like the idea of killing little helpless wild animals. Thats why we raise cattle.

Meek: Right. So you don't mind steroids and growth hormones and antibiotics. You know a woman your age shouldn't be getting zits unless she's taking steroids. I wonder if you've been eating south american beef? Its probably got DDT in it too.

Other: DDT?

Meek: Deer eat nothing but wild foods, no additives at all. You really ought to try it, pure low fat high protein organically grown meat.

MLC
November 9, 2002, 11:39 PM
Walt, I've read that Audubon was fond of a technique called "barking" the birds out of trees. One would load a musket with a wad and no ball, point it at the desired bird in tree/bush/ etc. and let the concussion do the rest. He would tie the disoriented birds feet to a board or branch and have an undamaged subject to work from. I have never seen this in practice but it does sound feasible.
In our area one could almost get away with a " your Lexus/BMW/Mercedes or my arrow/bullet, you decide". We are ridiculously overpopulated here due to a nasty combination of lack of hunters/predation, quite a few of corn/soy farmers and several very mild winters.

notbubba
November 10, 2002, 02:24 AM
"I'm not a Bambi-killer"

Why the heck not?
Did you see the size of that rack?

And I think his dad was an elk!;)

Al Thompson
November 10, 2002, 06:26 AM
Lots of good advice. I'm for the non-confrontational approac, 90% of the time. Super Cub, if your at work and need discretion, Art's comments are super (as usual).

Frankly, if the person is strongly anti-hunting (or guns), you are both wasting your time and potentially motivating them to vote or get activated. I know one person who is a anti-hunter/anti-guns but dosen't vote. Good! I avoid any debates as I won't change their mind and I don't want them getting motivated to actually throw a lever.

If your boss is an anti, best to keep mum.

BTW, we're much more effective when we set the example than showing up in cammies to argue our point.

Navy joe
November 10, 2002, 08:14 AM
You're right, Fur is murder...But the animals inside it sure are tasty! :D

fed168
November 10, 2002, 08:33 AM
I am saving some poor deputy or highway patrolman from doing an accident report involving a deer.

yorec
November 10, 2002, 08:46 AM
I just arch and eyebrow and say "Bambi?" with just a touch of superiority and sarcasm loaded into the word. It makes them have to explain thier comment and I know where they're coming from - much easier to correct, pick apart, or ignore - depending on thier position.

Kingcreek
November 10, 2002, 09:14 AM
some good responses above.

"I am not a Bambi killer"
-
"Well then, if you prefer, we could go out for lunch and someone else will kill our meat for us."

instead of feeling offended yourself, just remember it is thier loss for not recognizing the favor you offer. And that not only is it OK to hunt but there is honor in being able to ethically harvest and prepare game for your family and friends.
one additional thought. maybe an invitation to a nice sit-down wildgame dinner would get them thinking a little differently about your invitation. Of course, give them fair notice of the dinner menu.
My family and friends are honored to be invited to our house for dinner where all the meat is wild. Heck, anybody can serve a butterball turkey or a glazed ham.

Catbird
November 10, 2002, 09:50 AM
"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat." - Homer Simpson :)

Big Hext
November 10, 2002, 03:02 PM
Howdy,

Good points so far, some a bit more pointed than others.

When I get the "Bambi" comment and I have time for a short discussion, I bring up the cartoon aspect of the film.

My opener usually goes along the lines of "You know that in the real world, Flower eats Thumper." And "Animals really don't talk to each other."

If that goes well, I may even get into the reality of deer biology. My favorite here is, "Sure, Bambi's mom was great, but not if you were his twin brother. Did you know that mother deer frequently have twins and abandon the weaker one?"

Now there are lots of other ways to address the issue. These two comments eliminate the cartoon and humanizing aspect of the myth created by Bambi. I also find that if you have time (like you work with them) don't hammer them too much, just keep acting like a non-axe murderer and hunting becomes a normal part of a normal guy.

Adios and good luck,

Fred Hansen
November 10, 2002, 03:13 PM
Let's see, Bambi's mom was a Whitetail doe, his pappy was a European Red Stag, he still had his spots come winter (perhaps a Sika deer stopped by when poppa was out on business? Hmmm?) making Bambi a cross-species, mutant, born of a mother of questionable morals and a father who seemed oblivious to the fact that he was an obvious cuckold.

I say that a varmint like that needs killin'! If they aren't man or woman enough to do it, send me. I'll even burn the forest down like the hunters in the movie. ;) :eek:

Bambi :barf:

Ed Dixon
November 10, 2002, 03:27 PM
Not exactly on topic, but last week I heard Bill Maher interviewed on NPR. When asked if he'd changed his opinion on any subjects while doing PI he said sure and used hunting as an example. He said after talking to several hunters he realized they were usually much more informed and concerned about environmental issues than their critics and certainly had a point about preferring non-processed, crap-free food.

MeekAndMild
November 11, 2002, 12:09 AM
OH this is TERRIBLE! :( We just thawed out the last of last year's Bambie this weekend for barbecue. It was so sad. Just enough left for a couple of sandwiches next week. :( :(

Will opening weekend NEVER come??? :confused:

sm
November 11, 2002, 12:48 AM
"Certainly entitled to your opinion -- however YOU just finished off Charlie the tuna for lunch, and you said you and the Mrs. were haveing Elsie the cow tonight on the grill. Still planning on Tom and Porky for Thanksgiving?"

Poodleshooter
November 11, 2002, 02:49 PM
I have a very simple reason for being a hunter and scorning vegetarians. I'm allergic to soybeans. :D
It's always fun to condescend towards vegetarians and vegans who tout their "wonder foods" when the very manipulation of those foods for their increasing demand has made me allergic to them.
"Oh, I don't eat tofu. It would kill me. Would you care for some fresh wild turkey?"

Ron Ankeny
November 11, 2002, 05:52 PM
I don't even discuss hunting with people who are not like minded. I don't need the frustrations.

At one time, I used the argument of "harvesting" game for table fair and to help in maintaining management objectives. However, I haven't eaten wild game in years, although I do have it processed and I give it to folks who are less fortunate than I am.

I am one of the few hunters who will freely admit that I hunt trophy big game animals purely for sport. I am not looking for Bambi...I am looking for Bambi's grandpa. When I find him I will shoot him under fair chase conditions, have his head mounted, and apologize to no one. If I can't find him, I might or I might not shoot a lesser animal to give away to a needy person. Try explaining that to the anti-hunter coalition.

Fian
November 12, 2002, 10:33 AM
First of all, I think it is very generous of you to offer to take some one hunting. Has anyone ever said yes?

My response to the "Bambi" comments depends on what the other person meant. Some people mean it as a joke or just are not interested in hunting. They eat meat, but just don't want to be involved in the harvesting. I have been to a slaughter house and didn't really enjoy it, but I will still eat beef.

If the other person is attempting to say that no one should be able to hunt, I usually go into more of a discussion on the environmental/management aspects. I honeslty have not run into too many of these people.

ChrisR246
November 12, 2002, 11:21 AM
Them "I'm not a Bambi killer!"
Me "I don't want Bambi. He ain't worth dragging out. I want to kill Bambi's dad - the oldest and wisest in the forest!"

Zorro
November 13, 2002, 11:54 PM
Just look them in the eyes and say:

"You DO! Know that Bambi is a cartoon, and that it is fictional? You do UNDERSTAND that don't you?"

"You know a children's film from 1942?"

Then when they get that deer in the headlights look, whack them with a newspaper!

WHACK! WHACK! BAD LIBERAL RETARD! WHACK!

:D :D

I Love being Evil............ ;)

ATTICUS
November 14, 2002, 10:43 AM
I always say, "gee, I'm glad Disney didn't make a movie about a cow...we'd all look like Ghandi".

Preacherman
November 14, 2002, 09:21 PM
You could always try the old staple...

YOU: "Did you ever see the movie "Watership Down", about those rabbits? You know, the one with that cute Art Garfunkel tune "Bright Eyes"?"

THEM: "Er... yes, I did..."

YOU: "Did you ever read the book by Richard Adams on which the film was based?"

THEM: Either "Er... yes, I did..." OR "Er... no, I didn't..."

YOU: "Well, if you have (or haven't) seen the movie and read the book, why not eat the cast?"

Guaranteed to turn any liberal Bambi-hugger into a mouth-foaming lunatic! :D

November 14, 2002, 09:28 PM
For me, I don't feel the need to defend myself at all. It took me many years of being put on the defensive by other people about many subjects before I realized that I didn't really care what they think about it. If I asked someone if they would like to hunt with me and they came back with a personal attack, I would probably just say something like; Ok, I was just trying to be polite and ask if you would like to go. From that point on, I would avoid that person like the plague.

Depending on who it is, I also think Zorro's comment is a good one. I have thought along the same line. Instead of being on the defensive, you turn the tables and put them on the defensive by implying that they don't have a grasp of reality.

super cub
November 15, 2002, 08:39 PM
My original post was not at all about me being on the defensive. It was about reacting to the tacky behavior of others without being tacky. I make no apologies to such people for being a hunter or shooter.

Thanks for all the replies. You all had some great responses.

ninenot
November 15, 2002, 10:19 PM
Until very recently in Wisconsin, most deer hunters ate the proceeds---then came Chronic Wasting Disease. Suddenly, the hunters aren't so interested in the food aspect.

Be that as it may, we also have a 'no-predator/mild winter/lotsa food here' problem. My response would be along the lines of:

"Which death would you prefer for the deer? starvation? slow death from broken ribs in a collision with a car? or a single .30-06 through the heart?"

May not persuade someone to go hunting with you, but there's really no good response.

The ones who fight on eventually have to hold the argument that the deer (who actually eat everyting green in sight in your yard, are better left uncontrolled. This also means that their deer ticks (and THAT disease) are left around for our children to pick up while playing in the woods.

If they really believe that , then there's no hope.

madmike
November 15, 2002, 10:29 PM
I actually sell a bumper sticker that says "Water ship Down: You've read the book. You've seen the movie. Now, EAT THE STEW!" :D

I'm working on one that says, "Four out of five carnivores prefer vegetarians for lunch."

Oh, I could go on.

Did Unka Walt actually hunt??? I wouldn't believe it from that proto-PC piece of $#!+ "Bambi."

tex_n_cal
November 16, 2002, 02:21 PM
You can try this one, if the person has a sense of humor:

"I'm not going to shoot Bambi, just his evil uncle"

For most others:

"Are you a vegetarian? No? Well, where do you think your food comes from?"

For vegetarians:

"Oh you are a vegetarian? That's commendable, but you do realize that when land is cultivated to grow your food, the habitat is altered, wildlife loses its food, and dies anyway?"

For vegetarians with a sense of humor:

"Plants are living things too, how do you know they don't feel pain when they're uprooted and devoured?"

And, one I just heard last night, in the excellent movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding:

"Oh he's a vegetarian? That's o.k., I'll make lamb!"

Mister_Dinky
November 17, 2002, 12:04 PM
Your suggestions for response to "I'm not a Bambi-killer".

BTDT! This is more or less a quote...

"Bambi is a cartoon, not a documentary. Get the facts before you make a fool out of yourself again."

BusGunner007
November 17, 2002, 11:39 PM
"You cook your meat before you eat it, don't you?
Well, I kill the deer before it gets EATEN ALIVE or starves to death.
It's called Game Management and Conservation.
Hungry?" :p

4thHorseman
November 19, 2002, 09:12 PM
How would I reply?
"Bambi killer?..Well...H#ll yes, I've killed just about everything that walked or crawled on the face of the earth, at one time or another!"
"I've killed and eaten Bambi's daddy, mommy, borthers, sisters, relatives, and all his friends. Bambi is next!"